aberdeen-music

Acoustic Guitar Upgrade Advice

meiklejohn

I second what both colb and Chris are saying.

I've often thought about upgrading my acoustic but then I remember how good it plays and sounds to me and I wonder if I'll get another like it. 

I spent a good month or more going through R&B and Bruce Millers on my days off trying out almost every acousitc in each shop before making my decision and I'm glad I did.

Anyway, I ended up going for a Tanglewood TW45 electro acoustic. I find it nice and easy to play, and I have had various positive comments over the years from others who's opinions I respect regarding the sound both unplugged and through a PA.

Kev 

I had a new Taylor gs mini e yesterday. Fantastic. 500 quid, compact but the sound is awesome. I love my other acoustic but sometimes change is good. Depends what you want. I love a dreadnought Sound but don't like the feel when playing it cos of the size. My belly gets in the way. I have a washburn ea20 original ones not the new cheaper models which is not great acoustic but when plugged in its a monster where not the little mini sounds amazing acoustic so best of both worlds.

But if willing to spend that much on a second hand acoustic you should be able to find a good Taylor or Martin. Agree with the sigma tho. Really like their version of the 000m. Just take your time in deciding what you want.

I agree with the sigma option too, great guitars at an affordable price. I'd also recommend freshman guitars as they are very good guitars and use top end woods.

One of the best acoustis I've played is my Breedlove. Can't remember the model just now, but I think it was the number 250 in it. It's a big old guitar mind, bu tit sounds and plays really well. I think they were around 700 bangers new, but you could maybe pick up a 2nd hand one for your budget

Something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREEDLOVE-AD-25-SF-PLUS-ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-/161275337819?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item258cc25c5b#ht_120wt_1190

In your price range, the EG Takamines have the best electrics, IMO...........

Personally- i'd buy the best solid wood D18 clone available- and worry about the electrics later.  You may need something with a certain shape or neck width, so that might limit your options (if you must have a fat neck or a cutaway, for instance).

The Canadian brands aren't all solid wood- but in other respects are well built and usually sound great.  Used Seagulls, A&Ls and Simon & Patricks come up for sale locally all the time and are a good place to start looking.

Dude, if you find a good Yamaha as I said I have one from 1983 and one from 1997 and I love both of them, welcome to try them out. Otherwise their new models are great and well priced.

I've also had another one from the early 90s and also I have tried their beginner range models of the FG series and seriously great build quality. As kev said above better buying a high end guitar from a less expensive brand I.e. Yamaha or tanglewood than buying a low end Taylor or Martin, you'll find high end yamahas and tanglewoods better as they have solid woods and better parts

Edited by YoungA

Agree with above comments on Yamaha and Fender acoustics, had my fender acoustic for 17 years now and have never needed anything else (I mostly play electric, but the acoustic frequently gets used for recording ) . I had a Yamaha 12 string acoustic many years ago and it had a lovely sound, even when used as a 6 string.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

High end of a smaller brand name.. Some of the higher end tanglewoods are better than low end martins etc. Usually you get all solid wood guitars that way. Having said that I love yamahas , well made guitars. Best acoustic I had though was a japanese takamine en 40 which I owned for 13 years. Shoulda kept it!!

• 2 weeks later...