aberdeen-music

Game of Thrones TV Pace (no book spoilers)

Captain America

Oddly, all the north of the wall stuff is the most interesting aspect of the show to me.  I thought this episode was sensational.  Game of Thrones does a lot of things really well, but what sets it apart is the spectacle.  This was a huge episode in that respect.  I thought the fighting was fucking cool and Jon Snow is my no.1 man crush.  I find it really interesting that they're at Castle Black, in the bleakest conditions possible, without a hope, defending Westeros when the rest of the continent doesn't seem to care about them.  They should.  It comes back to what I think may turn out to be the main theme of the show, that the quest for power is ultimately meaningless as everything is impermanent and whoever does gain the throne is going to have a fuck ton of Wildings and/or White Walkers on their case as Winter draws in.  

Jon Snow for King.  Such a handsome, brave motherfucker.  

"We should have stayed in the cave" :- its love, that's why he was never going to be able to kill her.  That's the whole point.  I'm glad he didn't just "man up and kill her" as that would have made his character totally fucking boring.  

• Upvote 2

I agree with Moose, I like John Snow as a character and enjoyed his story with Ygritte so him just killing her would have been rubbish.

I'm hoping the section with Bran from the final episode will really set that story line up to be interesting next season.  It's felt like they've really wanted to include him in this season so have been manufacturing ways of keeping him relevant so they can get screen time.

It speaks volumes of the show that loads of us are really deeply into it but pretty far apart in terms of favourite characters, etc. Nobody on the show bores me more than Jon Snow and his bland personality.

Bran's storyline is the one that I don't even feel comfortable making a prediction on. I have literally no idea what's going to happen with him and his creepy mates. All those visions, the tree, the crow... no idea mate.

I kinda wanted to see how they fucked up that giant at the inner gate. It seems a bit far fetched if you ask me.

I was half expecting the big man to wipe them all out with the gate.

The more I think about it, it was a really anti-GoT episode.  They even gave Jon Snow a nice couple seconds to mourn his deceased beloved, mid battle.  I was squirming with anticipation of someone sticking a dagger in his tearful eye at any minute.  But no, he loses the girl (who was pretty much relegated this season), and all the main good guys survive (Unless the slightly more developed Brothers of the Watch were meant to carry more emotional weight... possibly a failure on my part to give a fuck about Pyp and Co.).  There's nothing there going forward that really changes much.  The audience is fully aware that the wall is a shite defence and that something else was going to have to happen to save the day.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad Ygritte is dead, best thing about the episode. 

What he said ... but the hatchet-faced boot still managed to utter that toe-curling "You know nooothing John Snow" line before she got 86'd. The cunt.

The "I'm thinking of ginger minge" line made me spray my cup of tea all over the place.

Oh, and the giants bow and arrow was really cool.

Edited by Nomad_Axeman

A fairly good finale even though I feel the final 3 episodes brought the quality of the season overall down a bit. Some of the things which happened in that episode and the season as a whole leave me slightly worried about the future of the show.

I think I'm with you there.

The pacing did feel a bit off.  Fight between Brienne of Fucking Tarth and the Hound was my personal highlight I think.  Brutal.  The Daenerys-sitting-in-her-chair thing was still a total yawn.  I guess she's going to invent democracy or something at some point.