aberdeen-music

Game of Thrones TV Pace (no book spoilers)

Captain America

• 9 months later...

SEASON FIVE.

Textbook GoT season opener. Lots of people arriving at new destinations, little motion but plenty of seed-sewing. I particularly enjoyed the Varys/Tyrion scenes -- I could gladly watch a whole episode of those two bantering each other off.

It's a shame that the first four episodes have already leaked. Avoiding spoilers for the next few weeks is gonna be like tip-toeing through a minefield.

• 1 month later...
How bad are the scenes in Dorne this season.  I'm reading the book the current season is loosely based on at the moment and the pacing of what happens in Dorne is much better.

In the TV show it doesn't even seem to make sense.  First time we saw the sand snakes they were deciding to take their own revenge, next we see they are already trying to kidnap her (with no plan).

They also just happen to go at exactly the same time as Jaime and Bronn, convenient.  Their plan was equally non existent as well, why not have Bronn just walk up to Myrcella say he's their on Prince Doran's command and they go meet Jaime so he is not spotted.

It just seems really rushed and poorly written, it's ruining Dorne and Dorne is really good in the book (I'm not a total book wanker but the whole Dorne part is being butchered in the show, Obarra Sand especially is the worst character in the show).

How bad are the scenes in Dorne this season.  I'm reading the book the current season is loosely based on at the moment and the pacing of what happens in Dorne is much better.

In the TV show it doesn't even seem to make sense.  First time we saw the sand snakes they were deciding to take their own revenge, next we see they are already trying to kidnap her (with no plan).

They also just happen to go at exactly the same time as Jaime and Bronn, convenient.  Their plan was equally non existent as well, why not have Bronn just walk up to Myrcella say he's their on Prince Doran's command and they go meet Jaime so he is not spotted.

It just seems really rushed and poorly written, it's ruining Dorne and Dorne is really good in the book (I'm not a total book wanker but the whole Dorne part is being butchered in the show, Obarra Sand especially is the worst character in the show).

It's not brilliant, but they're hampered by the 10 episode structure and the need to keep all the other storylines moving at the same time. They just can't do justice to every part of the story.  On the plus side it does mean we get more of Bronn on screen, which if they hadn't made the changes from the book we probably wouldn't have so there's that.  His dialogue is the best bit of the Dornish escapade so far.

Also, with Dorn, were they not filming large parts of it in Spain?  Why was Jaime and Bronn's horse ride to the gardens over distinctly Irish and cold looking grassy dunes?

It's not brilliant, but they're hampered by the 10 episode structure and the need to keep all the other storylines moving at the same time. They just can't do justice to every part of the story.  On the plus side it does mean we get more of Bronn on screen, which if they hadn't made the changes from the book we probably wouldn't have so there's that.  His dialogue is the best bit of the Dornish escapade so far.

Also, with Dorn, were they not filming large parts of it in Spain?  Why was Jaime and Bronn's horse ride to the gardens over distinctly Irish and cold looking grassy dunes?

Yeah they can't do it all justice but they are butchering the Sand Snakes.  Obarra has mono logged that she is Oberyn's daughter in both her scenes so far... for no real reason.

I didn't think the dunes looked that cold, it was maybe just meant to be dusk time?  They filmed most of it near here and it is quite grassy in the picture.

27245C3C00000578-3017919-image-a-68_1427

• Upvote 1

I've thought the last couple of episodes in general have been a bit naff; not sure if it's Dorne in particular. It's felt like everything is a bit too fragmented -, the geography, characters and their and screen time basically. I also thought the lastest mega-controversial scene was just crass and the opposite of shocking.

The end was very unnecessary. I do like they are taking the stories on a slightly different path in some regards from the book but I do think they are trying to cram too much and not provide any back story to some of these characters. I can imagine most viewers be really confused about Dorne and what's happening there.

I understand why the Dorne scenes have been so shoddy, but the Sand Snakes have been awful in this. I've not read the books, but I understand they're supposed to carry a similar sultry-but-dangerous mystique as Oberyn. On the show, they come across as shallow little girls who don't know what they're doing. They look incredibly out of their depth and weak, compounded by the scrappy fight scene and Ellaria's (sp?) capture scene.

Still, Bronn and Jaime are my new favourite tag team now that Brienne and Pod are on the peripheral and Arya and The Hound are separated. Think Bronn's gonna kick the bucket soon (got nicked by a Sand Snake dagger in that fight... poison), which stinks, but those dudes were born to fanny around on weird dunes together.

Couple of genuine laugh-out-loud moments this week: "the dwarf lives until we find a cock dealer," and Bronn's reaction to the Sand Snakes surrounding them... "oh for fuck's sake."

I don't feel particularly strongly about the ending. I'm a difficult guy to shock. I think they could've gotten away with implying what had happened: I know that they cut to Reek, but I understand why people were upset with it.

Totally ready for Stannis the Mannis to run up on Winterfell and get to cracking Bolton skulls now though. Thing is, they've gone to a lot of effort to make him seem really likeable over the past few weeks (the grayscale scene with his daughter, his HILARIOUS grammar Nazi moment, etc.), so he's almost certain to die soon.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that the season's last episode is titled "Winter." Shit's about to go down. I'm excited.

• Upvote 1

his HILARIOUS grammar Nazi moment, etc.

Best moment of the season for me. Just tossed in there, brilliant.

I've read the books but so far season 5 has deviated so much in the bits that the books cover and overtaken it in others so I don't have a fucking clue what's going to happen now.

The last few scenes in yesterday's episode were today bangers though. Saw the Cersei/Sparrow thing coming, but that didn't make it any less satisfying. Get in the fucking bin you horrible bint. Bronn didn't die either. Get in.

I feel like things are finally starting to pop-off and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

• 2 weeks later...