aberdeen-music

Live at Captain Toms

Did anyone see this?

I thought it was great. Really well put together and brilliant to see a new way of enjoying local music developing via the wonders of the internet.

Basic premise was a live-streamed later with jools holland type scenario in captain toms with loads of bands playing one or two tracks as the presenters (who did a fantastic job I'd add) flitted between rooms.

There were one or two too many 'hard rock' bands for my musical tastes but I find that's pretty standard for Aberdeen. I did fast fwd (do people even do that nowadays?) past a couple of bands but I thought overall the lineup made for a solid 2 hours of entertainment. Jerry Jablonski and the electric band sounded great (especially good performance given the circumstances) and Dear John were awesome as usual. I also though Leanne Smith and Craig John Davidson's performances were lovely.

I believe they are doing one every month so i'd be interested to see the next lineup.

You can watch the whole thing here. 

I had a quick watch out of curiosity and it looked pretty cool actually. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of most of the acts that were on, so it was only a brief viewing. I'll be interested to see who else appears on it, I hope that it is a success.

Get your band involved in the next one? I'd gie that a watch for sure

Holy shit, what a quaint little idea! I had no idea they were doing something like this. I watched it in patches, as I'm not really into the majority of the acts on this one, but it'll be interesting to see future ones with other acts.

I think Scott Ironside was a brilliant host, but the girl never really convinced me; it didn't seem natural, but she will probably become pretty good pretty soon.

Looking forward to seeing more.

• Upvote 1

I've no idea if that's a possibility. I might be looking at the show the wrong way, but I got the impression that it's a showcase for bands on Fat Hippy?

The bands playing werent all on the label I dont think. Dunno though. Itd be a bit restrictive if that was the case. I think this could be one of the best things happening right now in the 'scene' (and im biased because its the only thing im able to enjoy remotely) so id love to see loads of non fat hippy or capt toms affiliated bands get involved.

Holy shit, what a quaint little idea! I had no idea they were doing something like this. I watched it in patches, as I'm not really into the majority of the acts on this one, but it'll be interesting to see future ones with other acts.

I think Scott Ironside was a brilliant host, but the girl never really convinced me; it didn't seem natural, but she will probably become pretty good pretty soon.

Looking forward to seeing more.

For a totally live thing for 2 hours I think she did a great job. Its a pretty tough job and im sure she'll get even better but yeah Scott Ironside is already well talented at this sort of thing.

Brilliant idea - haven't watched yet but will try and give it a watch at some point.

I would hazard a guess that the bands being 'showcased' will be pretty much anyone - much in the same way that the old Fat Hippy Showcases gave all bands in Aberdeen a shotty. We played at least 2 showcases that I can remember and were asked numerous other times despite not being a Fat Hippy band.

And the Fat Hippy compilation CDs aren't all Fat Hippy bands.

But, yeah, sounds great and the fact that Scott Ironside is presenting makes me want to watch it even more.

Good stuff.

Episode 2 looks like this so far, more tbc.

Semperfi
The Lorelei
Ten Tonne Dozer
Turning13 
Bonesaw UK
Colin Clyne

https://www.facebook.com/events/498085926979632

The whole idea is just to get the whole Aberdeen Music SceneTM  out to as many people as possible. I thought ep 1 was great, and the Lemon Tree gig at night was a hoot. Was speaking to Scott and some of the others and they were all really chuffed how well it went. Could quite easily have been a car crash but I think the amount of work that went into it beforehand meant it worked really well.

And it's not just Fat Hippy acts, obv. Just whoever Tom thinks will be good for the show, in fact the band Ocasan were just up on tour at the time, they're from Milton Keynes (and ace).

Episode 2 looks like this so far, more tbc.

Semperfi

The Lorelei

Ten Tonne Dozer

Turning13 

Bonesaw UK

Colin Clyne

https://www.facebook.com/events/498085926979632

The whole idea is just to get the whole Aberdeen Music SceneTM  out to as many people as possible. I thought ep 1 was great, and the Lemon Tree gig at night was a hoot. Was speaking to Scott and some of the others and they were all really chuffed how well it went. Could quite easily have been a car crash but I think the amount of work that went into it beforehand meant it worked really well.

And it's not just Fat Hippy acts, obv. Just whoever Tom thinks will be good for the show, in fact the band Ocasan were just up on tour at the time, they're from Milton Keynes (and ace).

This is my simplistic estimation of the genres here:

Semperfi - metal

The Lorelei - folky/rocky

Ten Tonne Dozer - metal

Turning13 - Deftones-y

Bonesaw UK - Metal

Colin Clyne - singer/songwriter

... no offence to any of the bands but that's too much metal for me. Maybe that's the crowd/audience in mind but I think this thing could have a lot more appeal than that. Maybe limit it to one metal band, one acoustic act, one electronic act, etc. That'd be very interesting.

Aren't there always a shit load of metal bands in Aberdeen though?  Always seemed to me that there were perhaps slightly more metal bands than any other genre - well maybe that and your generic indie guitar bands (there are always a lot of them).  So, Tom is going to have a difficult time limiting to only 1 metal band if he wants to put on more than 7 bands in an episode, once a month.

That's a shit load of bands (especially if you want "good" ones) to find on a monthly basis if you want to keep the line up fresh.

If my assessment is right that there are a load of metal bands, that would probably translate to their being a lot of metal fans - so they'll be all over it perhaps.

I could be way off though - kind of judging that on the fact that there always seems to be loads of metal gigs going on with stacked line-ups and when we practised at Tom's there was always a fucking loud metal band in the practice room next door... and usually another one just up the corridor and another one round in room 4 etc. etc.

Aren't there always a shit load of metal bands in Aberdeen though?  Always seemed to me that there were perhaps slightly more metal bands than any other genre - well maybe that and your generic indie guitar bands (there are always a lot of them).  So, Tom is going to have a difficult time limiting to only 1 metal band if he wants to put on more than 7 bands in an episode, once a month.

That's a shit load of bands (especially if you want "good" ones) to find on a monthly basis if you want to keep the line up fresh.

If my assessment is right that there are a load of metal bands, that would probably translate to their being a lot of metal fans - so they'll be all over it perhaps.

I could be way off though - kind of judging that on the fact that there always seems to be loads of metal gigs going on with stacked line-ups and when we practised at Tom's there was always a fucking loud metal band in the practice room next door... and usually another one just up the corridor and another one round in room 4 etc. etc.

A lot of metal bands in Aberdeen has always been the impression i've had. Not that it's a bad thing at all - they tend to get bigger crowds than almost anything else. I really don't think it would be that hard to widen the genre variety though - and still maintain a high standard. I would say the same if all the bands were indie.

I also don't think your average metal fan is any more averse to other musical styles as your average indie fan. To me, that's part of the appeal of a thing like this - getting a wee taste of a bunch of different styles. Maybe I'm out of touch but I really can't imagine it being hard to find 7 good bands/artists of a high standard in a variety of genres.

Fair point. You could always leave a comment on the facebook page

https://www.facebook...498085926979632

The lineups not complete yet, and I'm sure Tom would be happy for suggestions.

I'd rather keep my feedback anonymous and unhelpful thank you very much.

No but seriously, my sister and some of her/my friends have been heavily involved in organizing the thing so i'll definitely give them my thoughts.

Again, I feel like there's a huge potential for this thing and i'd be a bit disapointed if it disapeared into a genre-specific thing that a lot of people can't 'get into'. I don't see it as a 'local' thing either... I subscribe to loads of youtube channels with live performances (like KEXP and its ilk), some provincial, some national, and none I like are too much of one thing so I think maybe keeping a broad appeal is key to success beyond Aberdeen.

A lot of metal bands in Aberdeen has always been the impression i've had. Not that it's a bad thing at all - they tend to get bigger crowds than almost anything else. I really don't think it would be that hard to widen the genre variety though - and still maintain a high standard. I would say the same if all the bands were indie.

I also don't think your average metal fan is any more averse to other musical styles as your average indie fan. To me, that's part of the appeal of a thing like this - getting a wee taste of a bunch of different styles. Maybe I'm out of touch but I really can't imagine it being hard to find 7 good bands/artists of a high standard in a variety of genres.

I wasn't saying a lot of metal bands is a bad thing at all.  Not my thing, but it is clearly the thing of a lot of other people.

I agree that it shouldn't seem that hard to pull together 7 decent bands of varying genres - not at all.  But try doing that once a month and it becomes more difficult.  It's a lot of bands to put into one gig - fuck, when I was putting on line-ups of 3 or 4 bands, I was sometimes struggling to get enough available and last minute drop-outs etc. was always a pain in the arse.

Now, clearly, bands will be far more willing to be available for someone like Captain Tom and for something like this, than the gigs I was putting on, but the point still stands.  There is a finite number of "decent" bands available.  Working your way through a unique line up every month of 7+ bands is not going to be easy.  If you have a disproportionately large number of metal bands (which I'm not entirely sure if that is the case, but it seems to be), then trying to limit it to 1 metal band per month, you then have 6+ other spaces to fill with non-metal bands.  It ain't easy is all I'm saying.