aberdeen-music

Wanted - studio monitors

meiklejohn

Scott. Don't bother with getting cheap ones. The whole point people are saying to get a set is so you have a good reference for mixing and help greatly towards a good mix. Getting cheap ones will only make you adjust things you don't need. I've had cheap sets where they are bass heavy or bottom heavy. You adjust the mix accordingly then sounds rubbish on a good system. If you have good headphones use them until you can purchase a good set. Will save you money in the long run. As you know but something cheap, when you sell it on the value drops through its arse. Better to hold off.

Thanks for the advice mate appreciate it. Supposedly some lower end speakers are great nowadays, the latest berhinger truths are getting great reviews so I've been told

It's all relative though, the only advice I'd give is to go with a set of monitors that have as flat a frequency response as you can get for the money you've got to spend. It's also beneficial to listen to your mixes back on a variety of different speakers. When I'm mixing I use my KRKs to get a foundation set and then check that mix on in-ears, over ear headphones, car stereo, surround sound system and then an ipod dock. If there's nothing sticking out on those then I'm golden, if there is I go back and tweak what I've percieved the problem to be. Without the KRKs that process would be a lot harder.

• Upvote 1

But also you never know who reviews something. Somebody may have just gone from desktop speakers up to monitors and made a huge difference. Same when people have the whole PC v mac fight. The mac is so much faster but the PC they just upgraded from was 5 years old. So obviously it's faster.

Totally agree when looking at reviews if they are peer reviews (should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt), a lot of the respected Magazine and Website reviewers know their stuff though and if they're testing properly will look at things like frequency response and in some cases will provide graphs and charts to expose any figures massaged by company selling the monitors. I like Sound on Sound for reviews personally but i'm sure there are other places out there that are helpful.

• Upvote 1

Its a tough one trying to do anything on the cheap. Recordings like a bug, the better you get at it the more you want to do and the better you want it to sound.. If you dont have the cash to go straight into say mackie monitors just go for mid range monitors that dont flatter the mix too much. I feel your pain tho, its tough finding great gear on a low budget.

Totally agree when looking at reviews if they are peer reviews (should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt), a lot of the respected Magazine and Website reviewers know their stuff though and if they're testing properly will look at things like frequency response and in some cases will provide graphs and charts to expose any figures massaged by company selling the monitors. I like Sound on Sound for reviews personally but i'm sure there are other places out there that are helpful.