aberdeen-music

Best/worst way you've left a job?

ca_gere

I just remembered when my Gran legitimately had a heart attack and I had to head to ARI I -upset - told the manager at The Bobbin and he said "Right.  What do you want me to do?"  Not "oh God, I'm so sorry.  Are you OK?  If you need to go, just go" as one would expect.  It wasn't a boy who cried wolf situation, I think this was the turning point that lead to all my elaborate excuses for not attending work. 

I quit working at a Somerfield because I was given the 7am Sunday shift that nobody else wanted; never handed in my notice didn't go back after failing to turn up one day. I woke up really hungover and looked at my phone to see that I had received numerous missed calls and voicemails, which started off as "WHERE ARE YOU THIS IS UNACCEPABLE?!?" that progressed to "We are SO WORRIED about you...please let us know you're ok". I never went back to work there but regularly went in as a customer to rub it in their faces. That's my only experience of supermarket work and I fucking hated it.

I worked in a bank for a couple of months; this was long enough for me to realise that they are fucking evil. They make you attend a two week training course which basically attempts to brainwash you into thinking the way they think, convincing you that you're helping people but really just ripping them off to no end and leaving them in a far worse financial predicament than when they came to see you in the first place. A customer was literally reduced to tears when I told her she was to be rejected credit, so i fucked off that afternoon without working any notice. Most awful place I've ever worked.

Aye.  The hot girls were why I got the job in the first place.  That benefit was offset by the volume of Rugby Dicks, however.  The captain of the AU rugby team once tried to headbutt me and the "team leader" that day didn't throw him out and actually persistently pretended not to notice me the 3-4 times I told him "that guy just tried to headbutt me."  The barflies that stood by the glass collection area frequently tormented me because I didn't enjoy talking to them.  There was one guy, Kenny was his name, who once threatened me with violence. 

That was one of the benefits of working downstairs in the kitchen. I did once get asked by a barman to come upstairs with a knife coz shit was gettin' real.... I decided against it and made myself a cheeseburger.

• Upvote 3

Good point. LinkedIn makes it so easy for an employer to find you and see who you're connected to.

I had an interview a couple of weeks ago and the interviewer had been looking at my LinkedIn profile, which is fine as there's nothing false on there. In fact, I welcome it. I include the URL on my CV so it's easy to find.

Recruiters are linkedin oot their nuts nowadays, at least over here in Poland. I updated my profile recently and have been bombarded with 'opportunities' since. Could've been done with the attention when I was actually looking for a job but it's nice to feel wanted. One of the first pieces of advice I'd offer job seekers nowadays is beef up your LInkedin profile with nice SEO-friendly words. 

Virgin Megastore, Bon Accord centre. I'd been there over a year and loved it, until we got a new manager who was a total fucking knob. It was his first management job so he tried to make his mark, but went completely over the score, brought in all these bullshit rules that just pissed everyone off and ruined the work environment. One day I was feeling a bit crummy so I rang in sick and he went mental and told me if I wasn't back the next day he'd take two weeks wages off me. I couldn't be bothered arguing with him and I was planning going back the next day anyway so I was just like "Aye OK" and left it there. That night I was out in Drakes (miraculous recovery) and I bumped into Kai who was pretty miserable having broken up with his girlfriend that day, so like a good friend I took one for the team and got absolutely mullered with him. The drunker I got I decided that not only was I not going back, but I was going to call the shop and leave the arsehole a voicemail telling him to fuck off. Unfortunately the answering machine was switched off so I never got to. But I never went back anyway.

Very next job was Au Naturale on Great Northern Road. I really really hated this fucking job, to the point that I could barely even motivate myself to go in, and it doubled up with a spell of the worst insomnia I've ever had in my life. I was getting to sleep at 4, 5am and having to be up at 7. I frequently turned up an hour, two hours late, sometimes more, once or twice I just didn't turn up at all. Made it to a final written warning despite still being in my 3 month probation. Woke up the very next day an hour late. Strolled in at lunchtime and said "I'll save you the bother", emptied my locker and left.

I worked in the O2 shop on Union Street for 2 weeks. It always made me chuckle when you start a new shitty retail job and the people who have been there for years act as if everything they do is a big deal, as if selling over-priced phone contracts to people who can't afford them requires loads of talent and you should look up to them. And they always have in-jokes and nicknames for things like it's a big fun club you should be desperate to be included in. This was my right-out-of-uni-can't-find-a-real-job-yet job and I had no patience whatsoever. I waited untill my promotional discount on a phone became active, then just didn't go in the next day. Still the only job I've done that. Even at the Big W I went in for my dismissal.

Really? There's a handover period for taking food orders?

well when I first got the job they said that I'd only be taking order, now I'm;

Taking orders

Cooking

Preparing foods

Making sauces

On the phone

Dealing with complaints and giving orders to the chefs

And training this new guy for all of this

well when I first got the job they said that I'd only be taking order, now I'm;

Taking orders

Cooking

Preparing foods

Making sauces

On the phone

Dealing with complaints and giving orders to the chefs

And training this new guy for all of this

Taking orders, dealing with complaints and giving orders to the chef, and on the phone are the same thing.

Cooking, preparing foods and making sauces are the same thing.

Multi-post combo...

Whilst I'm reminiscing about my employment history, one job that absolutely fucking sucked but I left on good terms was for a catering company in Aberdeen. I signed up to a temp agency and got placed at an office cafeteria. My 2 week placement ended with me getting offered the manager's job (a quick decision was needed because the MD was going on holiday for 2 months). I'd never worked in a kitchen before and i'm supposed to manage the whole place with a staff of 4. I got the job over a girl who had been there for a year and she couldn't let it go. Of course, to her the reason she didn't get it was because she had tattoos and piercings and not because she was a bit thick. Literally not a single person mentioned her tattoos/piercings but she brought them up at every opportunity, as if she really wanted them to be a big deal. Her and the fact that serving food to people with much better jobs than mine (one guy who was 2 yrs below me at school!) was killing me, eventually got too much and I left. I did get to put 'Manager' on my CV so there was an up side.

It was an oil/gas company and I remember getting on with one guy and he'd say 'oh give me your CV, I'll see if you can get an admin job or something'. I thought I was making the inroads that my liberal arts degree failed to. Then I found out he was basically the office chump, noone liked him and people were making fun of him for making friends with the canteen staff. 

I don't doubt it. I've worked in kitchens and they're some of the most stressful places I've ever worked. Not helped by the fact that chefs are often dicks.

it really is there's times where I've walked out for half an hour as I couldn't cope with it. Since I have to tell them what to make and constantly moan at them if they get dickish with me they will get a lot worse back (no jokes people)

I lost a job in a pub once in a village near the Broch. Went in and worked my shift one night and the landlord pulled me aside at closing time and said "By the way, this is the last night we're going to be open". Proceeded to drink as much as I could for free. Don't remember going home. Apparently I made an utter cunt of myself, also lost my jacket with my keys in it and had to wake my mum up to let me in to the house. Good times. Went back at 8am the next morning with one of the worst hangovers of my life and we proceeded to completely strip the place, all the booze, as many of the fittings and fixtures as we could remove, right down to shoveling the coal out of the cellar into sacks. Was instructed that if asked, I knew nothng about it and didn't know where they were. Proper midnight flit (but on a Sunday morning). 

I was so hungover that during the flit one of my jobs was to sit in the back of the car and keep an eye on the stuff in the trailer to make sure it was OK. When we got to the house we were missing an armchair, which we later found in a ditch on the A952. You'd think you'd notice an armchair flying off at 60mph, but nope.

The worst way I ever left a job was while I was working as an agency shit shoveler on oil rigs.  I only got paid for the days I worked, so the fact I even had a contract was a total joke.

My foot was in the door for working offshore however, so I applied for a bignuts job and was given a very casual interview.  However, due to the fact that the agency was affiliated with the company I'd been sniffing about, my mighty cockhole of a boss found out about it.  Queue me getting a number of cockhole e-mails from him while I was sitting in Holland working for him with no ink yet put to paper for my new job - e-mails ranged from 'you're making a lot of people's jobs very difficult' guilt trips to 'your P45's in the post' and 'I'll see you in court' threats.  All that with very minimal replies from me, trying not to rock the boat.

Unfortunately despite the fact that I was essentially jobless (agencies like that don't have to fire you, they just stop giving you work and starve you out), I foolishly failed to be extremely abusive to that guy.  Handed in a very polite letter of resignation instead.  Shite.

I worked for 7 years on cruise ships which is a fantastic job but my final contract I was on there was a cruise director who was just the biggest cock ever. I finally got the boot when I called him a 2 faced cunt. Flew me home from Copenhagen the very next day. But while I was flying home my girlfriend (now wife) got left behind. She still had 3 months left on her contract. In my defence. He really was a 2 faced cunt.

• Upvote 1