aberdeen-music

Best/worst way you've left a job?

ca_gere

In Poland, I kicked a high school student out for basically telling me to fuck off; I got a text message during the next class (!) from the HR boss giving me grief as this was a recurring theme (kids could be awful and the school was not big on discipline). I just told the class I'd be back in a minute, went down to the office and proceeded to bollock her at high volume about being an idiot, in front of several students (her office staff probably heard everything too). Then I went out for pizza and never returned.

Tellingly, she was in the middle of lecturing a few students (hence the audience) when I arrived; everyone was supposed to report stuff to her, so she could take care of it. I'd sent these particular idiots to her umpteen times, and they were again: a lot of use she was... Not sure I ever left a job in Poland entirely amenably, but that was the best and worst. She actually asked me back the next day, nevertheless. Desperate.

Edited by scottyboy

Got sacked by an oil firm when I was lying in the bone ward at woodend hospital, The Co sent me a letter saying that because I was unfit for work(I'd just had major surgery) I was not required back. Then within days and while I was still in there, a chinook helicopter that I'd previously flown on dozens of times went down off shetland.

I knew a lot of the guys on the flight too, heavy as f*kc

It was a sign that told me what the oil was really about.

When i started doing freelance photography, i was mostly reliant on nightclub work which meant my job in a Golf Club Bar was suffering. I'll openly admit it became a second priority as it paid half as much for 3x the hours and 10x the stress. It resulted in the bar manager and the club committee bullying me to shit, trying to get me to quit. One day i slept in, honest mistake and the only time it ever happened. Queue a thousand abusive phone calls from the manager giving me all kinds of grief, everything from 'This isn't on' to 'You're a worthless piece of shit anyway, can kiss you job good bye'. Kind of stupid to say to someone you want someone from? However, i was determined to leave with my head held high, so i persisted. When i made it in that day, the boss ended up continuing the abuse, accompanied with 'This is incredibly selfish of you, how can you act like this, do you not care *ANONYMOUS CO-WORKER*'s sister just killed herself?!' 

This was the watershed moment. Not only was i not to know, with no way of knowing, that a co-worker's sister had killed herself the night before, but somehow, my sleeping in was related to such an event and i was not being guilt tripped with it. Pretty poor taste from the bar manager. So this lead to me sticking around until she was fit to come back to work, taking daily abuse from the bar manager, she said on multiple occasions that i wouldn't have had any work had she not needed me. I always kept my lips shut, but she was clearly such an idiot that she didn't realise the only reason i was there was to look out for *ANONYMOUS CO-WORKER*. 

When i finally had the chance to hand in my notice, even though they knew i was desperate to leave, they claimed i was required to give a month's notice. For a job with zero hours contracted. I knew this was bollocks, but i couldn't hand in any notice until i got the contract, so when day when opening up, i dug out a copy of the contract, found that it said just one week, scribbled on a piece of paper my notice and handed it to her when she took over later on. She went ballistic, telling me i was completely out of order, an idiot, speaking shite, etc, etc. When she finally finished, i said i had a copy of my contract that stated just one week. She said i was lying. I produced the contract. Not only at this point had i won, and made her look like the fool, but she still didn't believe me. She said it was forged and challenged me on it, contacted the office for them to produce an identical document. She then questioned that one! Said it was incorrect, found a table on it that stated how much notice had to be given in the case of a dismissal (wait for it) that stated a months notice. The joy i experienced on pointing out that that was how much notice she had to give me and in pain english beneath it stated that in termination of my contract i was only required to give one week's notice. 

I kept calm and collected the whole way through this entire hell, even when getting her fucking told looking over the contract. But the second i left that building for the last time, i have never felt so happy in my life. Such a shit situation and i got to throw it in her face so hard. Would have been much better had i been able to just walk out and never look back, but i know i did the right thing keeping as professional as possible and looking out for the co-worker who needed the time off. The bar manager would never have done that. 

Actually there's another story, while one full time member of staff was off work grieving and i was only part time, understaffed as it is, the bar manager went away for an entire weekend, leaving me in charge. Y'know, the person she said she wouldn't have keep on if she had anyone else. Leaving me to run the bar Thurs-Sun, looking after temporary staff. The stories i have from that place are endless. 

Was that the Banchory Gold Club and did her name start with J?

EDIT: because I worked with her before she was manager and spent most of my time trolling her.  She was painfully stupid.  I'm assuming alice was before your time?  She was something else also.  Ask Shaki about her!

Edited by Moose

I also lasted a shift at Burger King. My pals used to all work at the one down at the beach and one of them was a duty manager. I wasnt really needing a job but thought it would be a good idea, and there seemed like a laugh so i went for it and obviously got the job. After a shift i realised how much i hated it and phoned in sick the next day, txt my mate that evening and never went back. 

When i look back im amazed im in the job i am now a days, i messed quite a few places around when i was younger.

Does a paper round count? Forgot about about this. They kept getting pissy as I had rugby training everywednesday but there's nothing I could do, in the end they said if it happened one more time (obviously it would) they would sck me. I did the favour and walked out and called them cunts. It was my sisters round I took over and they always chatted her up and asked her out and that. Pervs.

Does a paper round count? Forgot about about this. They kept getting pissy as I had rugby training everywednesday but there's nothing I could do, in the end they said if it happened one more time (obviously it would) they would sck me. I did the favour and walked out and called them cunts. It was my sisters round I took over and they always chatted her up and asked her out and that. Pervs.

If what happened one more time?

EDIT: What were they going to do? Sick, sack, or suck you?

Edited by givemeasmile
  • Upvote 1

Sorry don't know what happened there. I meant to say "sack". They would sack me if I came in that late again but I had to go to rugby training so I can't remember the order. I either called them cunts then walk out or call them cunts as I walked out. Either say they heard it. 

Probably the same thing that happened in your last sentence here. Either way, check your spelling. 

I want proof that they heard it. I think you're lying.

Pretty steady in jobs now, but when I was a fish filleter.....always changing jobs at the drop of a hake.

Remember one time I went over to my chums fish yard during my tea break. Found out he got paid 50p more an hour than me (A princely sume I might add) so I went back after my tea, picked up my gear and walked over the road to start with him The yard Supervisor was fizzing (she was a wee minger that dsrank special brew). She told me that she was going to tell the yard boss to not pay me what I was due and that I'd "niver work in s yard again". No probs....worth it for 50p mair I thought.

2 weeks later my old boss offered more money to come back....guess what....yep back I went. The wee Troll was about burstnig a gasket lol.

when I think back it was all very unprofessinal (like my spelling). Now a days I can see why places get piussed off if folk dinna turn up for work. I reckon my last company lost 100k USD every year through no shows.

• Upvote 1