aberdeen-music

Best/worst way you've left a job?

ca_gere

What's the best/worst way you've left a job?

I worked very briefly for a short-lived beach boulevard based megastore that seemed to sell everything and nothing at the same time. The actual work involved playing around in the warehouse, avoiding any interaction with customers and cringing at the borderline sexual-harrasment practices towards my school-age co-workers by the sorry state of a man they called my manager. Scotland were playing Holland one night and it clashed with a shift... I only had one choice. No regrets. The store shut down about 2 weeks later anyway.

To expand my story from the other thread.

I worked in this cash & carry not long after bunking out of Uni. It was during my experimenting times so i was not the most punctual of people, if i actually turned up at all. Got through quite a few disciplinary meetings and ended up my last warning. Came in late the next monday and was told i would be having another meeting with the management in the afternoon, clearly i was going to be sacked so i phoned my pal, got him to come and pick me up and never set foot in the place again. 

Another one was just after that, i got a job as a cook in the hospital. If you have never seen a hospital kitchen your lucky, they are horrible depressing places. I lasted an hour of my first shift before just going up to my locker, getting changed, and walking out, emailed them the next day to say i didnt want the job. I dont put that on my CV for obvious reasons. 

My story could have been better if I'd had slightly more balls...  After leaving uni after my first degree I found myself working in Schuh, not quite full time (where I'd worked during uni) and was looking around to supplement my hours until I found a "career" job.  I was taken on at that 24 hour shop on Hutcheon Street.  Everyone knows the place.  Fucking horrendous.  I worked two shifts and then just didn't go back.

It would have been a better story if I'd left in the middle of my first shift.  I was working the nightshift and got my "lunch hour" at 3am.  During the first part of my working day, I'd had to show a couple of very drunk gay guys the selection of vibrators that, unknown to me, we held under the counter (in one of those white baker's trays of all things), sold them rush, that sort of thing.  I was unaware that such things were sold over the counter so openly.  I really didn't want to go back after my lunch hour but bottled it and went back instead of just going to bed - it was a Friday night I think.

I later quit that job at Schuh after I was back at uni for my second degree and working all spare hours I had at a law firm, as well as keeping up my Sunday shift at Schuh.  I was down in London for a "proper job" interview and just called up Schuh from a train stop and quit over the phone.  Nothing interesting about that story apart from it always sticks in my mind because I was out for a drink with an ex-Aberdeen buddy later and a couple of his Londoner colleagues and when I told them I'd just quit my job, one of the girls was totally shocked and said "Is it?"  I had never before and have never since heard that phrase in real life.

Not sure if I left the job because of this or if I quit soon after but was working as a dishwasher in a pub when I was 16 and got called on Christmas Eve to come in. Refused as I'd rather have gone out to play football in the snow with my friends.

Worst way I've left a job was being made redundant after the company I worked for lost the contract where I was based and the new provider shipped the work to India. Spent the last 6 months having to remotely teach my Indian replacement how to do my job. Was soul destroying.  

These days, working in the oil industry in Aberdeen, I would never leave a job on bad terms. Aberdeen is a small place and people talk. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for an employer to find someone that knows the potential employee and get an idea of what he/she is like, off the record.

• Upvote 3

Spending a weekend writing a business case to take over from my boss and then getting made redundant first thing Monday morning (before presenting the business case) was pretty sucky.

Getting 3 months paid garden leave from a large O&G company after they realised they'd employed me to do a job that didn't need doing (and that I told them didn't need doing at interview) was very unsucky.

These days, working in the oil industry in Aberdeen, I would never leave a job on bad terms. Aberdeen is a small place and people talk. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for an employer to find someone that knows the potential employee and get an idea of what he/she is like, off the record.

Absolutely. Same goes for the IT services bubble in Aberdeen. You never know when you're going to be working with someone again. Why it amazes me to see people blatantly lying on their LinkedIn profiles quite regularly.  So easy to get found out.

I quit a KP job in the Broch when I was a lad so I could play in a pool tournament.

I told George Sim of Sim's fruit that I was fed up with his shite and then quit. That was satisfying because, to this day, he's by far the most cunty cunt I've ever worked for/met. He's probably dead now because sustaining that level of anger/cuntishry must take its toll on an old mans ticker.

• Upvote 1

Aye.  The hot girls were why I got the job in the first place.  That benefit was offset by the volume of Rugby Dicks, however.  The captain of the AU rugby team once tried to headbutt me and the "team leader" that day didn't throw him out and actually persistently pretended not to notice me the 3-4 times I told him "that guy just tried to headbutt me."  The barflies that stood by the glass collection area frequently tormented me because I didn't enjoy talking to them.  There was one guy, Kenny was his name, who once threatened me with violence. 

When working in removals with my mates dad he often went on jobs without me or not telling me. Understandingly it's a family business where his son and brother work for him too and I knew they could go on jobs without me as it's family, but the fact he started employing others with no prior experience and giving them a shit load more work than me. So it ended up him texting me one morning saying there was a job then my reply "go find someone else twat" I still speak to him though as he's a good source for lifting band gear and usual lifts.

Now someone chip in ideas on how to quit the tandoori, I agreed to stay till the new guy is compitent enough but it could take a while

Aye.  The hot girls were why I got the job in the first place.  That benefit was offset by the volume of Rugby Dicks, however.  The captain of the AU rugby team once tried to headbutt me and the "team leader" that day didn't throw him out and actually persistently pretended not to notice me the 3-4 times I told him "that guy just tried to headbutt me."  The barflies that stood by the glass collection area frequently tormented me because I didn't enjoy talking to them.  There was one guy, Kenny was his name, who once threatened me with violence. 

Was he the fat ginger guy who did the 'quiz'? He seemed to be one of those permanent student types desperately trying to latch onto each new wave of the canterbury tracky and flip flop brigade.

Absolutely. Same goes for the IT services bubble in Aberdeen. You never know when you're going to be working with someone again. Why it amazes me to see people blatantly lying on their LinkedIn profiles quite regularly.  So easy to get found out.

Good point. LinkedIn makes it so easy for an employer to find you and see who you're connected to.

I had an interview a couple of weeks ago and the interviewer had been looking at my LinkedIn profile, which is fine as there's nothing false on there. In fact, I welcome it. I include the URL on my CV so it's easy to find.

I worked at the ice rink at Stoneywood until it went bust.  I was working on the day the agents of doom came in.  As I recall, they were rather ... officious.  They swarmed all over the place, noting stuff down.  Inventory done, they left a copy on the table for our reference and went on their merry way.  Me and the boss sat at a table feeling pretty sorry for ourselves.  Nothing else to do but have a look over the list.  We went down to the cellar and found a surprising amount of stuff not on the list, including (rather suspiciously) 5 bottles of Macallan.  There were 5 guys doing the inventory.  Hmmm.  We quickly decided to fuck them over and took everything that wasn't on the list.  I went to a house party after with a fine bottle of whisky and don't remember much more after that.

I suppose the job really left me.  Either way, it was simultaneously the worst and best way I've left a job.

• Upvote 2