aberdeen-music

Tips for organising a wedding

Lemonade

Most of the bands I looked at were 1200-1500. I've booked a mate's band and got a bit of a discount off him, which was nice. I suppose I'll have to invite the cunt the wedding now. Only 8 months to go. Coming round quick. Bought our rings a couple of weeks ago. Honeymoon booked. Wedding dress bought. Favours sourced. Centrepieces. Registrar. Photographer.  It's slowly coming together.

My sister paid a lot for her Celidh band (I'm sure she said in the region of 4K all in) and they really weren't that great. They did this  thing where they'd be playing ceilidh music then they'd drop in Prodigy and Muse samples without missing a beat, so suddenly you've got a floor full of people doing the Dashing White Sergeant to Smack My Bitch Up. It was novel, I'll give them that.

http://bahookie.org/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got one of these to organize now.

It's only been a couple of weeks and I'm sick of planning already. I'm torn on the photographer thing. Part of me thinks that with the number of people who come to weddings nowadays with decent cameras, you're bound to have a selection of good photos anyway - ones that will capture the spirit of the event because they're being taken by real guests. The other part is worried everyone is a shite photographer and we should hire a pro.

Those who didn't get a pro - were you disappointed afterwards? I do think the prices being charged (here anyway) are mental. I've been to weddings both with and without and in most cases it's hard to justify that extra couple of Grand for a handful of slightly better photos

It costs a lot, but everything for weddings costs a lot. Why would you spend a lot on a single day and then not spend anything on someone whose job is to capture that day perfectly? Take a scan over these pics from the wedding I was a best man at last weekend and you get the posed ones but also the bits of the ceremony and the evening captured in a way that your mates just wouldn't be able to do without them losing out on being a part of the event itself. If they're taking pics of other guests during the ceremony, they're not paying attention to the ceremony so they lose out.

http://burfly.co.uk/2015/06/30/sarah-and-colin-the-burn-house-edzell-aberdeenshire-wedding/

Yeah, I think it's probably just one of those things we'll have to fork out for. I'm thinking about putting a craigslist ad out looking for someone who's maybe just trying to get their business off the ground and needs to get a few weddings under their belt/build up references... hopefully get a cheaper rate without feeling like we're underpaying someone. 

Venues have been a nightmare so far. Everywhere we've looked, in the areas we want, has been northwards of 5 grand for the most basic of packages.

For photographers look at camera clubs or students studying photography, they will need the experience, and you should be able to look at their past work to get a feel for what they can do.

You might even be able to get a couple of people to do it, so you get different perspectives on the same event, and it will probably still be cheaper than a professional.

We get 20 odd photos included in our Vegas package, and even that feels like too much.. I'd be delighted with just a few good photographs.

It's mental how long it takes, I haven't been to a wedding without a photographer yet but it'd certainly make the day go quicker.

Edited by Scubby

I went to a wedding once where the bride was a model and she had another photographer there on top of her own one to take pics for a wedding magazine and between the two of them it took HOURS! The one last weekend was absolutely rapid tho adn it was probably 30 mins after the ceremony where the bulk of the pics were done and then snuck the B&G off for a few snaps later when the sun was going down. Our wedding was the same - only 30 mins all in for the family shots and then get on with the partying!