aberdeen-music

Mozilla's new CEO opposes equal rights for gay couples

PAndroid - just because you posted in a gay rights thread and you live in Spain, it reminded me of this...

When I was in Madrid a couple of years ago (to play in a work related footy tournament) we were walking to our function in the centre of Madrid and landed up at the back of a gay rights procession/march/carnival type thing. It was massive.

We got the impression though that the Spanish weren't particularly keen on gay rights - would that be accurate?

There was a very heavy police presence and the streets were literally getting chemically cleaned about 5 feet behind the the end of the march. Compare that with the following evening when Spain won the Euros and people were going mental, steaming drunk, pissing and spewing all over the place, smashing beer bottles etc. Nobody gave one fuck about that.

On the Mozilla thing - I disagree with the guy but don't use Firefox so can't boycott it even if I wanted to.

From my experience Spain is quite a gay friendly place. At least Barcelona is but Madrid too from what I've seen there. Gay marriage, which has only just been made legal in England and still isn't in Scotland, has been in place in Spain since 2005. I can't think of any serious homophobic incidents I've seen out in public.

However it is quite a divided country and you just have to look at the current government to see that there are lots of people with conservative views. They have tried to repeal the same sex marriage laws but failed and are currently implementing Europe's strictest anti-abortion laws. I imagine that if you go out of the centre of the big cities life as a gay person would be much more difficult. 

I think the police presence at that protest was to do with it being a protest in general and not because it was for gay rights. There have been an uncountable number of protests here over the past few years for every issue imaginable and some do get out of hand. The police tend to be prepared for trouble. And the comparison with the world cup celebrations, well Spain won the world cup, I imagine the police were out pished and making a mess.

I ditched Firefox ages ago but I'm fully behind a boycott. Being a CEO is a huge responsibility. You represent the entire company and he should know that what he says is what people will take as what the company stands for. I don't particularly care if someone is anti-equality really, and I don't see this bad PR fiasco as some sort of social crusade... he just deserves to take a big hit for being bad at his job.

• Upvote 1

I ditched Firefox ages ago but I'm fully behind a boycott. Being a CEO is a huge responsibility. You represent the entire company and he should know that what he says is what people will take as what the company stands for. I don't particularly care if someone is anti-equality really, and I don't see this bad PR fiasco as some sort of social crusade... he just deserves to take a big hit for being bad at his job.

He's only been CEO for a week, and he's never said anything about hating the gays.

A $1000 donation was made to support proposition 8 6 years ago, it was reported on in 2012 when the donation records became public and it made zero impact then. This seems to have a lot more to do with a failing business trying to drum up some attention than actual outrage at the guy.

I think that people should have the right to marry whoever they want and that everyone should have the same rights. Those rights include thinking whatever you want and giving money to whatever political campaign/religious nonsense makes you happy without people shouting at you about it.

One thing I did find out today was that the wife of the man that invented the little light that comes on when you flip down the mirror on the sun visor of your car donated $500,000 in favour of the same amendment......

Edited by colb

It's interesting that despite the fact that it's the guy who created Java who did this - I don't see anybody saying they will now uninstall java from their computer and never use it. Is it because uninstalling and not using java would be a genuine pain in some cases whereas most browsers are interchangeable so it isn't a big deal.

• Upvote 1

Just as well I don't drive :D

It's interesting that despite the fact that it's the guy who created Java who did this - I don't see anybody saying they will now uninstall java from their computer and never use it. Is it because uninstalling and not using java would be a genuine pain in some cases whereas most browsers are interchangeable so it isn't a big deal.

Pretty much, as I said above. There's also the fact, as Ca_gere said, he's the current head employee and public face of Mozilla whereas whether and how much money he is making and has made from JavaScript (not Java, actually) is more muddy.

Basically I regard same-sex marriage opposition as bigotry in the same vein as racism, pro-racial segregation, and similar, and think one should not be surprised to see similar reactions. Half of Mozilla's board resigned at his appointment, and his own employees have been calling for him to step down; that is not mundane at all.

I think that people should have the right to marry whoever they want and that everyone should have the same rights. Those rights include thinking whatever you want and giving money to whatever political campaign/religious nonsense makes you happy without people shouting at you about it.

I disagree.  People can absolutely say what they want, but they do not have a right to be happy.  Otherwise it would hamper on the freedoms of sensible people to call backwards cretins like this on their shit.

He's only been CEO for a week, and he's never said anything about hating the gays.

A $1000 donation was made to support proposition 8 6 years ago, it was reported on in 2012 when the donation records became public and it made zero impact then. This seems to have a lot more to do with a failing business trying to drum up some attention than actual outrage at the guy.

One thing I did find out today was that the wife of the man that invented the little light that comes on when you flip down the mirror on the sun visor of your car donated $500,000 in favour of the same amendment......

again, I really don't care if he's pro or anti gay rights. If this PR nightmare isn't his fault, it's the fault of the board that appointed him. They should've done their homework. That or they're implementing some huge ploy to garner right-wing users. Either way, fuck em, let them fail.

I disagree. People can absolutely say what they want, but they do not have a right to be happy. Otherwise it would hamper on the freedoms of sensible people to call backwards cretins like this on their shit.

He's American - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness etc.

I'd say that calling someone a backwards cretin on the basis of a political payment made 6 years ago with no other information on his beliefs isn't the mark of a sensible person.

It's the same kind of reasoning that backwards cretins use for hating things.....

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 1

It's long enough for him to have changed his mind; he may or may not have. Even if he has, I would still hold the fact that he was actively anti-gay as few as six years ago against him. I think being anti-gay is unambiguously wrong, personally, and I wouldn't, personally and if I could easily avoid it, support anyone who is.

It's long enough for him to have changed his mind; he may or may not have. Even if he has, I would still hold the fact that he was actively anti-gay as few as six years ago against him. I think being anti-gay is unambiguously wrong, personally, and I wouldn't, personally and if I could easily avoid it, support anyone who is.

A liberal who's against reform? Bizarre.

Anyway, for those that are inclined to hear both sides of a story here's Brendan Eich's response:

https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/inclusiveness-at-mozilla/