aberdeen-music

Footballers

ca_gere

It's maybe a controversial idea to start a separate thread to the current season one but I often want to discuss particular footballers without derailing discussions relating to the season.

Anyway,  a thread to discuss favourite players, worst players, blasts from the pasts/what happened to...etc

Valdimir Weiss now plays in Qatar - that's crazy. Such a waste of talent. He was hotly tipped to become something special at Man City.

Francis Jeffers's last club was Accrington Stanley and he has only scored 40 goals in his entire career.

It's maybe a controversial idea to start a separate thread to the current season one but I often want to discuss particular footballers without derailing discussions relating to the season.

Anyway,  a thread to discuss favourite players, worst players, blasts from the pasts/what happened to...etc

Valdimir Weiss now plays in Qatar - that's crazy. Such a waste of talent. He was hotly tipped to become something special at Man City.

Francis Jeffers's last club was Accrington Stanley and he has only scored 40 goals in his entire career.

Jeffers scored 53 goals in his career (40 league goals, 12 in assorted cups and 1 international goal), not that it's a much better total or anything.

*he also scored 13 for England U-21s

Edited by Alkaline

Weiss' move to Qatar was a strange one. He only signed for Olympiacos in the Summer. Apparently he played great for Olympiacos in the first half of this season, played 5 out of 6 Champions League group games, and was often a stand out performer from what I've read. He's never spent more than one season at a club. Bet he's just wrangling signing-on fees, earning mad bank.

Jeffers scored 53 goals in his career (40 league goals, 12 in assorted cups and 1 international goal).

Don't forget those 13 goals for England U21. Joint all-time top scorer with Alan Shearer. Predator!

• Upvote 1

Tony (Antoine) Kombouare.. Defender in one of Aberdeen's worst teams since I can remember.. I think there was a rumour he lied about his age in order to sign for aberdeen.. he is now a manager at RC Lens.. Im not saying he was a shocking player, infact he was a cultured defender, in my view probably best as a holding midfielder but I just chuckle at the thought of pros lying about their age to get a game lol

• Upvote 1

I loved Kombouare, great player. He was obviously at the end of his career but I don't remember anything about him lying about his age. I'm not sure how he would have been able to do that when he'd had a relatively high profile career. He'd been playing in the champions league semi-finals only a couple of years before he moved to us. He was more comfortable on the ball than any of our other players, unfortunately he knew that too well and often tried to dribble round 3 players in his own box. 

• Upvote 1

I don't really remember Casiraghi playing at Chelsea at all. As if his signing was a myth. I remember him from Football Italia though.

The Shevchenko debacle was pretty bad. He wasn't all that bad a player when he was at chelsea but everything seemed magnified. Torres has gotta be up there too. Going from such an explosive player to a simpering bit-part hold-up merchant is sad to see. I still have faith he'll get some of his spark back.

Other notable Chelsea players...

Franck Leboeuf - great defender

Jody Morris - great 90s name

Asier Del Horno - remember him?

I don't really remember Casiraghi playing at Chelsea at all. As if his signing was a myth. I remember him from Football Italia though.

The Shevchenko debacle was pretty bad. He wasn't all that bad a player when he was at chelsea but everything seemed magnified. Torres has gotta be up there too. Going from such an explosive player to a simpering bit-part hold-up merchant is sad to see. I still have faith he'll get some of his spark back.

Remember Adrian Mutu? For me he was a complete waste of talent. I know he went on to do pretty well for Fiorentina, but when he appeared at Chelsea in the Maurinho era he was phenomenal. Fell out with the manager, turned shite, went on the drugs and ended up being released.   

I could name millions of Aberdeen flops. Here are some of my favourites:

Leigh Hinds

Dave Bus

Laurent D'Jaffo

Fernando Pasquinelli

Andrius Velicka

Steven Craig

Calvin Zola

Jerel Ifil

Richie Byrne (still no idea how he we didn't concede more to Bayern at home with him playing)

Mark Kerr (remember when McGhee made him fucking captain???)

I understand most of these are strikers, but they are more often than not deemed as flops because they come in and don't score enough goals. However most of these guys were just all round woeful.

Are we talking all leagues and of all time ever?

Top of my head favourites:

Shearer

Solano

Scholes

Given

Bramble (When at Sunderland)

Roy Keane

There also seems to be certain players i always try to sign on FM. People like Vanden Borre, Hedwiges Maduro, anyone with silly names or a rare footballing nationality. 

Old school players. Hughie Gallagher (Check out the games to goals ratio, still holds the record for Scotland I believe) and Bill Mcracken (LOL, often touted as the guy who invented the offside trap)

Shevchenko was one of the biggest disappointments ever to come to the premiership. He was brilliant at Dynamo and Milan, it just seemed impossible he wouldn't score goals at Chelsea. Torres is slightly different, if you forget about the price tag and what he used to be like he has often actually been a very good player for Chelsea if only rarely a goal scoring one. He has certainly  made important contributions in big games. 

I loved Leboeuf. I was happy Blanc was suspended for the WC final in 98 because it meant Leboeuf got to play. 

I remember Jody Morris once scoring the fifth goal in a five nil win over Man U.

Speaking of old Chelsea players, one striker who didn't flop at all. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Now he was a goalscorer. 

That Milan team was set up and designed solely really to get the best out of Shevchenko. Quite narrow IIRC, width from their full backs, but players in and around Shevvers to feed him chances.

Must've been, for him, quite a difference to come to Chelsea and have to contribute to more phases of play, in a tougher (physically) league where the play is much quicker. Felt sorry for him, actually, was brilliant at Milan but made to look better than I think he actually was IMO. Excellent player though.

I would say he looked just as good at Kiev and I wouldn't say that team was set up just to service him.

I think the differences between the leagues that you mentioned were important but also that the troubles between Abramovich and Mourinho which were going on at the time were significant. 

Sadly I also suspect that his heart just wasn't really in the challenge of starting somewhere new.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Are we talking all leagues and of all time ever?

Top of my head favourites:

Shearer

Solano

Scholes

Given

Bramble (When at Sunderland)

Roy Keane

There also seems to be certain players i always try to sign on FM. People like Vanden Borre, Hedwiges Maduro, anyone with silly names or a rare footballing nationality. 

Old school players. Hughie Gallagher (Check out the games to goals ratio, still holds the record for Scotland I believe) and Bill Mcracken (LOL, often touted as the guy who invented the offside trap)

LOL