aberdeen-music

Callahan

Flights

Hey,

We've recorded a couple tunes and would like to know what people think.

These are still works in progress so go easy on us! 

Second one is a reworking of a tune we wrote a while ago but with drums, bass and more overall structure.

It can be heard here without the spoken word over the top if you find it distracting!

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Flights
  • Upvote 1

Loads of potential here guys, bit of an Explosions in the Sky feel. Hinckley is my favourite of the two tracks here, I think it would be better without the spoken word personally, it's a little bit distracting. I like how squishy the recording sounds too.

I am not the biggest fan of the loud, LOUD, LOUDER songwriting approach, but I know fine well how hard it can be to escape that as an instrumental band. I think that I should attend a music event that you are playing in the future.

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed the first track, it felt more like it was getting progressively less crisp/more scuzzy as it went on (apart from the wee lull in the middle) and I liked that progression.  The cymbals/hat wash together and I quite liked that too.  Found myself looking for more input from the bass though.

I must confess that I wasn't overly keen on the spoken word either, thanks for the link to the non speaky one.  I liked the main guitar melody, it seemed "vocal" in the sense that I could imagine someone singing some words on that melody.  I see what Jan means about loud, LOUD, LOUDER, I don't have a problem with it once in a while as long as it doesn't become the modus operandi.

Recording-wise, I enjoyed their washy, spacious qualities, but could have done with a bit more heft given to the bass.  I was listening through decent headphones, not laptop speakers, before you ask ;)

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed the first track, it felt more like it was getting progressively less crisp/more scuzzy as it went on (apart from the wee lull in the middle) and I liked that progression. The cymbals/hat wash together and I quite liked that too. Found myself looking for more input from the bass though.

I must confess that I wasn't overly keen on the spoken word either, thanks for the link to the non speaky one. I liked the main guitar melody, it seemed "vocal" in the sense that I could imagine someone singing some words on that melody. I see what Jan means about loud, LOUD, LOUDER, I don't have a problem with it once in a while as long as it doesn't become the modus operandi.

Recording-wise, I enjoyed their washy, spacious qualities, but could have done with a bit more heft given to the bass. I was listening through decent headphones, not laptop speakers, before you ask ;)

The first song definitely needs more bass - what we've got just now is pretty heavily effected so it blends in a bit - thanks for listening. Edited by colb

Some very pretty melodies, very nice guitar sounds and pretty well recorded for a demo!

Not into post-rock and I generally despise the louder, louder, louder, song structure (just think it's lazy and requires no imagination/creativity) but if you guys are thinking of changing that up a bit, I'd deffo be willing to check it out live or on record.

Good luck with it!

I liked this.

I also liked the spoken word in 'Scene Wars - Hinckley Remix'. It didn't detract or distract from the music which was cool, although it got a bit murky in the louder outro but that might be down to the audio file being a rip or whatnot.

Totally, totally awesome for demos.

• Upvote 2

I like it. Post-rock isn't usually my bag unless it gets loud. It got loud. I like the loud bits the best. The louder parts do sound a little thin on the demo recording, but it gives you an idea, and I imagine it will sound mighty live, or on a proper recording.

I don't approve of the spelling of the name  ;)

• Upvote 2

Most things post-rock are spaff-worthy for me so I like these. I don't mind the spoken stuff but it seemed too loud to begin with, seemed to balance out later though. I hope to get along on the 22nd but it will be my 3rd weekend out in a row which is the craziest my life has been in some time so we will see.

• Upvote 2

Most things post-rock are spaff-worthy for me so I like these. I don't mind the spoken stuff but it seemed too loud to begin with, seemed to balance out later though. I hope to get along on the 22nd but it will be my 3rd weekend out in a row which is the craziest my life has been in some time so we will see.

No worries Martin, we'll see you if we see you!

Thanks for listening.

Had a proper listen to these today. I quite like parts, the melodies of the guitars are lovely at times, and the delays and stuff sound amazing. I'd just like the songs to go somewhere, maybe a second idea built into them somewhere, i find myself waiting for something else to happen in the songs. Maybe play on the dymanics a bit more, build the drums up more and stuff like that. But overall very decent. I can hear just by the recordings you wont have lost any of your volume!! :)

• Upvote 1

Had a proper listen to these today. I quite like parts, the melodies of the guitars are lovely at times, and the delays and stuff sound amazing. I'd just like the songs to go somewhere, maybe a second idea built into them somewhere, i find myself waiting for something else to happen in the songs. Maybe play on the dymanics a bit more, build the drums up more and stuff like that. But overall very decent. I can hear just by the recordings you wont have lost any of your volume!! :)

Thanks for listening man!

• 1 month later...