aberdeen-music

Your projects and things you have built

Moon Moon

Thought I'd start a thread for people's musical inventions as I'm interested to see people tastes in guitars and bass guitars and how good they are with their tools (not that tool)

I'll start

6830A6EE-483E-4128-8B87-C2244E4C9E8F_zps

You's all remember this goldtop right? Well I sold it to my mate and me and him are doing a lot of work on it

1. Sanding it to natrual colour

2 removing the bigsby permanently and filling in the holes etc

3.Remove the paint on headstock as someone painted over the stagg logo and there's just a huge lump on it now covered by gibson decal but of course paint it again and laquer it

4.Since it was his birthday I got him a set of 1971 gibson humbuckers, kluson tuners and pots for it.

5. String it up and set it up and enjoy the guitar

Estimating it to be done in 3 or 4 months

Edited by YoungA

This is probably the coolest thing i've designed (in terms of telling the builder what I wanted).

2n84y2e.jpg

Left switch goes between 2 effects loops, middle switch turns everything on and right switch turns both loops off for dry signal only. Any combination of the three with only one button press.

Tell us about it. What does it do?, how long did it take to build it?

Either way looks cool as fuck.

It's a clone of the infamous Interfax HP-1 Harmonic Percolator, as lauded by Steve Albini. I don't really know if it is a distortion, overdrive or fuzz. It has qualities of all 3 in there. It emphasises the even order harmonics - the non-ugly sounding harmonics. So you get a nice smooth rasp, but with less transparency of a standard Overdrive. It can get pretty nasty.

I can't remember how long it took to build. I put the core of it together in a couple of hours, but it didn't work. I kept coming back to it, making tiny alterations, re-soldering certain bits until I got mad and put it in a box and ignored it for a while. A few re-solderings later and it worked. I still don't really know how I fixed it. It was torture.

Found some sticker paper at work, so plagiarised a Starbucks logo in Photoshop and stuck it on the enclosure. Because coffee... Percolator.... You get it. And coffee is for punx. That was the most fun part, and more within my skillset. I'm really good at plagiarism.

Edited by Joda Serk

My first bass build:

02body.jpg

A body I bought on eBay, some funky top on some light coloured wood.  A generic P bass type neck.  SD Alnico MM pickup in the neck, SD Quarter Pound J pickup at the bridge.  Artec SE2 preamp.  Hipshot bridge.  Shellac finish.

01_downneck.jpg

Fecker "Imprecision" bass - an Affinity Squier with a custom logo, proper tuners installed and a Badass II bridge.  SD Quarter Pound P pickup.

5233839441_99f3cf99e9_z.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul (Not so) Standard bass.  Pickup selector switch added.  Guts replaced with 2x EMG-HB pickups and an EMG-BQC 3 band EQ with mid sweep.

02_all_800.jpg

Gibson Victory bass.  Received in a hell of a mess (horrible refinish, stupid push button battery switch in the battery cover, back of the neck roasted with a blowtorch?).  Cleaned up, new pickguard, wired up, surface prep, Rich Lewis did the refinish.

Ripper-10_zps46c23d8f.jpg

wired_up.jpg

Current project in progress - Gibson Ripper.  Bought a poorly refinished empty body/neck.  Sourced all the parts.  Stripped old finish and did surface prep.  Wired up pickguard.  New SD Custom Shop Ripper pickups.  Rich Lewis once again handling the refinish.

Also no pics but assembled a Fat Furry Freak (Wooly Mammoth clone) fuzz pedal.  Frustrating, but interesting and fun to build.  Don't really know if I want it though.

• Upvote 2

I once put custom volume knobs on a Squier strat that allowed you to turn it up to 11.

Aside from this I don't have the time to fix guitars or set them up, but I really wish I knew more about it. I'd love to build one from scratch using parts from here there and everywhere. The only relatively custom guitar I've ever owned was a Mexican Fender strat with a seymour duncan cool rails in the bridge, resprayed pickguard and custom tuners (none of these upgrades were done by myself). Unfortunately this guitar got nicked.

• 1 month later...

IMG_2503_zpsba459126.jpg

So technically, I put this fine guitar together myself, although it was finished and aged by MJT guitars. Neepheid was very helpful with some truss rod adjustments and tinkering with the vibrato to make it playable. Originally, it had Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups in both the bridge and neck, but I thought that they lacked low end and disappeared in the mix a bit. It probably doesn't help that the body is swamp ash and weighs about 2 lbs. Now there is a wide range humbucker from The Creamery in the bridge and it sounds beasting.

• Upvote 2