aberdeen-music

Best/worst music in Aberdeen right now

ca_gere

Only one band that we've played with or put on has sat through the back of a gig wearing sunglasses rather than support the other bands.

That's the kind of thing that causes the dislike - not the getting somewhere....

I always felt this way about Vesuvian, we played with them once, possibly twice, and they turned up ten minutes before they were due on stage then swaggered around acting like rock stars. Couldn't stand that lot.

Best (bands I like)

Ascension. Fucking love that band. I generally loathe long, wanky, overly complicated music as it often doesn't hold my attention well, but power metal just soaks my fucking panties for some reason. I suppose it's because the music is generally farcically overly-complicated but still sounds like simple hooks and is easy to follow? I don't know, but I love it. Plus they're tight as a tight thing live.

Dear John. These guys shagged us out of the running at the Capt. Tom's BOTB and rightly so - they fucking smashed it. I expected to hate them when I heard they used electronic samples etc (because I haven't seen many acts really tickle my fancy using them) but DJ were so fucking fluid, tight and heavy. Loved them.

Absolutist. Great live act - the long spacey slow passages are something I normally avoid like the plague but it adds so much more brutality to the crustier elements of their set. GBOL. Really well-paced band. Awesome sauce.

Worst (Bands I dislike or like less than what seems to be considered the correct amount)

X-Certs / The Little Kicks. Lumping these two together because they both whelm me in the same way. Good bands, good performers, good songs, I just don't find them engaging. I have no idea why, maybe I'm just a hipster who doesn't like things because they're popular.

Skizofrenik. I hate any band with "quirky" spelling in their name - just a pet hate of mine. I've seen 'frenik a few times, played with them a lot with Heller State. The drummer is a machine, really tight and really talented. Obviously draws a lot of inspiration from Travis Barker, but I think they have a way to go when it comes to crafting songs and making their sets flow. The songs often feel like they're pulling in two directions at once, never quite making up their mind if they're pop-punk or crusty. Plus I grudge bands who've been around on the scene as long as them still having covers in their sets - it feels lazy.

I can't think of any bands offhand that are BAD, but those are the first to mind that I don't enjoy very much.

xx

• Upvote 1

Best (bands I like)

Ascension. Fucking love that band. I generally loathe long, wanky, overly complicated music as it often doesn't hold my attention well, but power metal just soaks my fucking panties for some reason. I suppose it's because the music is generally farcically overly-complicated but still sounds like simple hooks and is easy to follow? I don't know, but I love it. Plus they're tight as a tight thing live.

Dear John. These guys shagged us out of the running at the Capt. Tom's BOTB and rightly so - they fucking smashed it. I expected to hate them when I heard they used electronic samples etc (because I haven't seen many acts really tickle my fancy using them) but DJ were so fucking fluid, tight and heavy. Loved them.

Absolutist. Great live act - the long spacey slow passages are something I normally avoid like the plague but it adds so much more brutality to the crustier elements of their set. GBOL. Really well-paced band. Awesome sauce.

Worst (Bands I dislike or like less than what seems to be considered the correct amount)

X-Certs / The Little Kicks. Lumping these two together because they both whelm me in the same way. Good bands, good performers, good songs, I just don't find them engaging. I have no idea why, maybe I'm just a hipster who doesn't like things because they're popular.

Skizofrenik. I hate any band with "quirky" spelling in their name - just a pet hate of mine. I've seen 'frenik a few times, played with them a lot with Heller State. The drummer is a machine, really tight and really talented. Obviously draws a lot of inspiration from Travis Barker, but I think they have a way to go when it comes to crafting songs and making their sets flow. The songs often feel like they're pulling in two directions at once, never quite making up their mind if they're pop-punk or crusty. Plus I grudge bands who've been around on the scene as long as them still having covers in their sets - it feels lazy.

I can't think of any bands offhand that are BAD, but those are the first to mind that I don't enjoy very much.

xx

I think that band has my pals Jamie and Ted in them. Ted is the Travis dude. Loads of blink tattoos. We always tell him it'd be funny if Barker turned out to like kids or something. He'd have to just cover his whole body in a tribal tattoo or something.

I always felt this way about Vesuvian, we played with them once, possibly twice, and they turned up ten minutes before they were due on stage then swaggered around acting like rock stars. Couldn't stand that lot.

That name rings a bell, what kinda music did they churn out? 

If I mind right, they were sort of a blusey space rock affair. Shit loads of reverb. I heard them rehearse in Musical Vision many times, their bass player was always really loud.

• Upvote 1

If I mind right, they were sort of a blusey space rock affair. Shit loads of reverb. I heard them rehearse in Musical Vision many times, their bass player was always really loud.

Yeah, this. Bluesy rock, loads of reverby guitar, usually loud. Very BRMC. They wore leather jackets on stage and had stupid haircuts.

I think that band has my pals Jamie and Ted in them. Ted is the Travis dude. Loads of blink tattoos. We always tell him it'd be funny if Barker turned out to like kids or something. He'd have to just cover his whole body in a tribal tattoo or something.

They're all nice guys and they're not bad musicians either, I just think they need to hit a reset button somewhere and push in the same direction. They've been on the go for years now so it'd make sense that they'd be in a bit of a repetitive streak.

xx

Best band in Aberdeen right now has to be Min Diesel. Was a big fan from the start but over the last 9 months their song writing and structures have improved so much. Genuinely interesting band that aren't conforming to any stereotypes or fads.

Was also a big fan of Babes in Waders during their brief stint as a band.

Can't really think of a band i've seen lately that I would go as far to say I hated. I did see a band in Drummonds about a year ago called Cyrus Rose that compared themselves to Bon Jovi and Nickelback. They were pretty terrible but they had flyers with reviews and statements from what I can only assume was their parents.

• Upvote 2

Can't really think of a band i've seen lately that I would go as far to say I hated. I did see a band in Drummonds about a year ago called Cyrus Rose that compared themselves to Bon Jovi and Nickelback. They were pretty terrible but they had flyers with reviews and statements from what I can only assume was their parents.

whaa.gif

• Upvote 3

Are the Snake Temple Kings still a functioning band?

What other bands have folk been liking? Not that it's a bad thing, but there is a bit of repetition in the thread. I want to hear new music!

Ha! Rory and his Mum are in the office I'm in just now, buying stock off my Dad! He's just had his first kid and is moving back up here, so I'm not really sure if STK are a priority for a while. Here's hoping, though!

I'm really digging Fiona Soe Paing, booked her for the 21st[plug]. She's from Turriff, makes really weird, dissonant, skeletal electro, and has a full multimedia show behind her. You might end up really liking her, Jan, worth checking out!

I'm really digging Fiona Soe Paing, booked her for the 21st[plug]. She's from Turriff, makes really weird, dissonant, skeletal electro, and has a full multimedia show behind her. You might end up really liking her, Jan, worth checking out!

She did a gig at Woodend Barn last week.  Really brilliant with a fucking amazing video show accompanying the music.  Seriously good stuff.

Incidentally the second act (Dead Hand) that night was one of the worst things I've seen for years. Bored looking bloke walks up to the stage "Hi I'm Nathan".  Then mumbles something about human voice before pressing play on a laptop and then sitting down and staring at the ceiling for 30 minutes and never interacting with the laptop or the audience again until the end of the set. The first track was a horrific atonal mess of someone saying what sounded like "Islam" over and over, layered on top of each other and at different frequencies. Fucking hard to listen to.  Which I realise might make it sound interesting, but it wasn't. It was just not good.  

Did improve a bit after that with some of the other tracks actually having a cool, bluesy, jazz vibe with different layered vocals. But that first one had done a lot of damage by then.

I'm extremely happy that there is the makings of an interesting electronic scene in Aberdeen.  I really like Fiona Soe Paing's music, the animation element is totally unique too.  Looking forward to seeing her new performance.

Autumn Hang  and Godzilla Blues who played at the first Binary School event were both fantastic, I'm not sure who/what to compare Autumn Hang to other than something like Com Truise but with perhaps a bit more drive: http://soundcloud.com/autumn-hang Godzilla Blues was really atmospheric and quite ambient: https://soundcloud.com/godzillablues

The electronic thing is really hard to do live so anyone that can do it well gets the thumbs up from me!

• Upvote 1