aberdeen-music

Best/worst music in Aberdeen right now

ca_gere

The only 'new' Aberdeen(ish) based music I've listened to recently is Indian Red Lopez's new song which I can't remember what it's called. Really liked it. I love IRL - probably my favourite band from round here.

I've always really liked IRL's output. It has that nice mix of electonic and guitars (for want of a better way to describe it) that I've not heard from any other band from Aberdeen - without being too overtly cross-genre. I still listen to their first album fairly regularly. I favour their more simple dancier tracks. The newest one (video below) is good but doesn't quite have as strong a hook as something like Ropes. Still great though.

Forgot about Absolutist. another of my favourites.

Aesthetically not my thing, but the lyrics are good and the songs are well crafted and intelligient. I also think reverb can work well with lots of bands, like The Yawns, who can really nail a tune, I just think it's used as a sort of cover up for lack of songwriting ingenuinity.

More of a joke at the Gnarly thing, 'cause they're GNARwolves. One of my favourite UK bands. All the weed and pizza.

Was that Dolfinz band the 2 lads from stonehaven that Lockah/Tuff Wax was touting for a while? I thought they were pretty great actually. The name put me right off for some reason though. Are they still about?

Think they're taking a break for the foreseeable, although you'd have to ask them that. Released an EP on tie die tapes that was pretty great, few months ago maybe? Pagan dating. Some great songs on there.

This might be a bit controversial but... I've always thought of the Little Kicks as the Matt Le Tissier of Aberdeen Music. They've always been good and very enjoyable/talented live without really pushing the envelope. I like all their stuff without going crazy over any of it.

Nah i can get on board with that. For me they have always just been decent enough, i have their first album and a few tracks still get a whirl from time to time, but they never really grabbed my attention properly. 

Yeah my knowledge is limited now a days.

My favs would include

Miss Lucid and Akord

I hate anything that to me is just noise, so BOAK

Go on then, I'll take the bait.

Given that we have no available recordings and you've never seen us live - how have you reached this conclusion?

They're from just outside Aberdeen so I think it's allowed: His Name Is Codeine are ace, both live and on record. Carson Wells, Min Diesel, [wall], Absolutist, Dirtdrinker and Kitchen Cynics are also big favourites.

Newer acts I've seen more recently and have been really impressed with include Deportees, Godzilla Blues and Death Watch.

There are a lot of bands I don't like too, but I won't list them, because that's mean.

Deportees are probably the best band IMNSHO, although I've yet to see them in their new format with a different lead singer.  Derpdrinker and Absolutist are fucking mint.  Absolutist are pretty much the only band doing what they do that I genuinely enjoy.  Goosebump inducing stuff.  Let's see... Marionettes are a class act.    Min Diesel make me happy.  I enjoy Das MacManus.  BOAK were pretty groovy.  Ashley Park has sick chops. 

There are about 3 local acts that I just can't abide, but I shan't mention their names.  I just completely don't see the appeal.    

Edited by Moose

I always thought they were shit and gimmicky, followed by unpleasant plastic anarcho-gothpunk scenester types.

Harsh, but each to their own. They were great at what they did but it was very nichey. I'd say honestly one of my top 5 local bands ever, if not number 1. I still listen to them to this day. I really like horrorpunk and psychobilly and all that though. I actually started a horrorpunk band in Aberdeen a few years ago but we didn't get very far.

Good: Bonesaw, Korpse, Bisongrass, The Snake Temple Kings, Death Watch, Prelude to the Hunt, Dirtdrinker, Carson Wells, Absolutist, The Palmer Eldritch Trio, The Palmer Eldritch Quartet (thats what I'm calling them, AKA the band with neil from Darth Elvis singing that used to do Moorings jam nights), [wall]...

Probably more. Can't think just now.

• Upvote 1