aberdeen-music

Best/worst music in Aberdeen right now

ca_gere

Best:

Absolutist

They do what they do as well as - or better than - anyone else I've seen attempt it. Largely predictable most of the time but the right vibe and very effective. Oli is a great, solid drummer. Callum and Shea do exactly what they need to. Probably my favourite band in Aberdeen just now.

Bonesaw

Classic death metal played ideally. Sid's lead parts are awesome, Andy's vocals are brutal and everything is always tight. Paul needs to up the volume as I can never hear him right but otherwise spot on. Their new album is great too.

Death Watch

I enjoy these guys a lot. This type of music is something I'm into a lot at the moment and they pull it off. Could probably do with less gigs in the short periods of time they take them on, and they (like us (Bisongrass)) need to write a little quicker haha.

Deadloss

Not much to say other than that they are one of the most enjoyable bands I've seen in Aberdeen. Consistently so as well.

Korpse

Not much to say - awesome paced metal with good groove. Great bass sound, great drumming, ace riffs. Very enjoyable gigs any time I've seen them. That's about it.

BOAK

Seen them once (first gig), totally into it. I don't like a huge amount of bands from here, but I definitely liked what I heard and look forward to more.

Worst:

I tend not to bother paying much attention to a band if I dislike them. Some I can't seem to get away from though. It is as simple as that I don't think they are very good at what they are trying to do. Even a band's attitude is enough for me to dislike them. I'm probably forgetting a lot of bands that I didn't rate, but the immediate ones that come to mind are:

Matanuska

SIDCA

Miss Lucid

There was one from Stonehaven that was an uncle and nephew type affair. They weren't very good. I can't remember the name.

Best:

Absolutist

They do what they do as well as - or better than - anyone else I've seen attempt it. Largely predictable most of the time but the right vibe and very effective. Oli is a great, solid drummer. Callum and Shea do exactly what they need to. Probably my favourite band in Aberdeen just now.

Bonesaw

Classic death metal played ideally. Sid's lead parts are awesome, Andy's vocals are brutal and everything is always tight. Paul needs to up the volume as I can never hear him right but otherwise spot on. Their new album is great too.

Death Watch

I enjoy these guys a lot. This type of music is something I'm into a lot at the moment and they pull it off. Could probably do with less gigs in the short periods of time they take them on, and they (like us (Bisongrass)) need to write a little quicker haha.

Deadloss

Not much to say other than that they are one of the most enjoyable bands I've seen in Aberdeen. Consistently so as well.

Korpse

Not much to say - awesome paced metal with good groove. Great bass sound, great drumming, ace riffs. Very enjoyable gigs any time I've seen them. That's about it.

BOAK

Seen them once (first gig), totally into it. I don't like a huge amount of bands from here, but I definitely liked what I heard and look forward to more.

Worst:

I tend not to bother paying much attention to a band if I dislike them. Some I can't seem to get away from though. It is as simple as that I don't think they are very good at what they are trying to do. Even a band's attitude is enough for me to dislike them. I'm probably forgetting a lot of bands that I didn't rate, but the immediate ones that come to mind are:

Matanuska

SIDCA

Miss Lucid

There was one from Stonehaven that was an uncle and nephew type affair. They weren't very good. I can't remember the name.

respect.

all the bands you like sound the same, and they all play the moorings.

I think you are a really guid guitarist, with great skills, but tunes elude you.

nae offence, just being honest ye odious prick!

Edited by maud 'dib
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've not been to as much gigs as I'd like to lately but here we go.

Bands/folk I like:

Marionettes - Used to play with them a while back and I think they've gotten really really good. Hard working guys, new songs are ace and they're great live. Standard!

Min Diesel - Haven't seen these guys in a while but I like the way Zippy plays and the tunes are right up my street.

Craig Davidson - Lovely tunes and plays guitar affa well.

Ashley Park - Again lovely tunes.

Miss Lucid - What can I say, I do love a bit of sub-manics, sunglasses fuelled generic indie tunes. Worst band in Aberdeen. Ga waa tae fuck!

Callahan - Scapey niceness done really well. We played a gig together last month and I proper enjoyed their set. Jeff Bruce on drums too! Ooft!

Akord - We supported these guys at their Lemon Tree gig and they were ace. Nice guys, good tunes and totally tight. Martin's the best technical guitarist I've seen in Aberdeen and love that twiddly shit.

Indian Red Lopez - Again really like their tunes. Did sound for them once in Tunnel 2 with the old ratty PA though and it was a terrifying experience. 

Turning 13 - They're the first band I remember going to see regularly when I was like 16. I grew up with their songs, they're all awesome, inspiring musicians and I'm really glad they're carrying on. Roll on Live at Toms part 2!

Worst.

Back when I worked in Drummonds I could rattle off a list as big as my arm, but I think the Aberdeen music scene is pretty good at the moment (or I've just not caught any really shit bands lately). 

• Upvote 3

The new IndianRedLopez album is really rather good. Streaming here:

http://www.earmilk.com/2014/03/17/indianredlopez-commit-to-their-upcoming-album-premiere/

I remember seeing them backing Cosmic Rough Riders I think. I liked them then. Lately.....not so much....I dinna get it to be honest. Not saying they are bad because they have a following that likes them a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...