aberdeen-music

Best/worst music in Aberdeen right now

ca_gere

Furthermore, we've been described as "effectively the same person" by our friends, so you'll probably hate me too.

I don't see why I have to hold back just because he posts on this forum.

Also, you come across completely different to him on here so unless there's some sort of flip of the whole dick on the internet/good guy in real life scenario I'm sure you're a good guy (as I said though I've never met you in real life so I wouldn't have anything other than that to base this on whereas I've met E.C plenty so I feel I can make an informed decision on whether I like him or not.)

There's plenty of people who don't come across well on the internet (myself included) but they're completely different in real life. Teabags falls into this category for me: bit of a cock gargler online, seems like a fairly easy going lad in real life who wouldn't say boo to a goose unless he had a few drinks in him- good guy though and while I don't agree with him on most things I don't dislike him as he never comes across as arrogant or self important.

Back on track...

Just heard a new Pinact tune from a split vinyl release they're doing with 3 other bands. Such a prolific band, literally haven't heard one tune from them that I don't like. Not normally a fan of 2 piece bands but I feel like they really do it justice.

Farewell Singapore were right good at the gig we played with them last week.

Not to be biased towards Lenin Death Mask given I have friends in the band, but they have improved massively in the short time they've been playing and seem to be doing all the right things, ie getting their demos out there and gigging like fuck.

Farewell Singapore were a little hit and miss with me - I loved them the first few times I saw them but for a while their songs seemed a little uninspired and lyrically quite trite. That said, they're always solid live. Tight as a tight thing. And Jon (or John?) is a good guitarist with some interesting ideas, techniques and sounds. Might have a dig into them again and see how their new stuff (assuming they have new stuff online) sounds.

xx

I don't understand why anyone would dislike Ewan (I don't really want you to explain further either) let alone so publicly, on a forum he posts on, in a thread he has posted in.

Likewise. I respect Ewan more than literally anyone else I know involved in music for many reasons, and he's also my friend. No need to spout embittered, laughably vitriolic personal shite on this thread, but it's made Phil look an arsehole so his loss I guess.

Likewise. I respect Ewan more than literally anyone else I know involved in music for many reasons, and he's also my friend. No need to spout embittered, laughably vitriolic personal shite on this thread, but it's made Phil look an arsehole so his loss I guess.

I don't know the guy very well at all, but I don't think this thread is the place for airing personal issues with anybody; we should be critiquing bands for musical reasons. No?

Love Pinact, they sound nothing like Stereophonics. The Nirvana/No Age comparison gets put to them a lot. I just think they're a really loud, solid band. Maybe the two piece thing for that sort of music is limiting potentially in the future but I like the guys and the music.

LDM played a few dates with Farewell Singapore, amazing live, much better than on record imho

I disagree - Phil called EC an arsehole. It makes him look like a guy who thinks another guy is an arsehole. The fact that you disagree with him makes you think that Phil comes across as an arsehole, but that doesn't mean that's how he comes across to everyone.

xx

It's ok when everyone's battering on about the members of Miss Lucid though because it's your mates that did it though ;)

I respect Ewan on a musical level, I think he's a very good drummer, I just don't like him as a person and I don't believe I should hold back from saying so. It's not new news really.

• Upvote 2

Pinact are great, although I don't know how much they'd identify as an "Aberdeen band". Good friends, great songs.

Lenin Death Mask are going to be a force. Not only do they make enormous CHOONZ, their hard-working DIY ethic is really impressive. They've organised themselves extremely well, it's remarkable that they've only started playing recently.

EWSIF fucking suck.

Min Diesel just rule. It's refreshing to hear melodies with a distinctly north-eastern humour, but Zippy's accent is natural and it isn't forced, like Twin Atlantic or something. Stu improves as a drummer every time I see him play, and Warden has serious chops.

[ ] are just insane. So, so loud. Righteous.

Seas, Starry are total babes, I think they're making amongst the best post-rock/ambient stuff in the UK right now.

Carson Wells ought to be huge. Ridiculous tekkers.

There's not many bands I hate, but I agree that Miss Lucid have a bizarre attitude to gigs. Making flashy music videos as well before seemingly doing much else... I dunno, it seems weird to me. Their guitarist that I've spoken to is a nice dude though.

And fucking sit down, Phil. Ridiculous post. Not climbing up Ewan's arse here, but he does a shit-tonne for music in Aberdeen, ignoring that because of some beef on the internet is pretty reductive.

Love Pinact, they sound nothing like Stereophonics. The Nirvana/No Age comparison gets put to them a lot. I just think they're a really loud, solid band. Maybe the two piece thing for that sort of music is limiting potentially in the future but I like the guys and the music.

LDM played a few dates with Farewell Singapore, amazing live, much better than on record imho

It's ok when everyone's battering on about the members of Miss Lucid though because it's your mates that did it though ;)

I respect Ewan on a musical level, I think he's a very good drummer, I just don't like him as a person and I don't believe I should hold back from saying so. It's not new news really.

Look at my previous posts, I actually said that I hadn't had any issues with Miss Lucid at all and they were absolutely fine with me so I didn't just go along with what other people are saying.

I don't find some of your actions particularly desirable but I don't go out of my way to make a personal attack. What you said was more than "I don't like him" which would have sufficed. You come across as a right cunt.

Stroopy, get to fuck mate. Not into all this meta bullshit, it's all about perception, etc etc. I said it so it obviously means it's my opinion, that's self-evident, totally obvious, and yeah it seems like quite a lot of people (the majority) thinks it make him look like a prick. 

I don't know the guy very well at all, but I don't think this thread is the place for airing personal issues with anybody; we should be critiquing bands for musical reasons. No?

Exactly! All Phil had to say was "me not liking him gets in the way of enjoying his music", not call him a "self important, odious little cunt".

Look at my previous posts, I actually said that I hadn't had any issues with Miss Lucid at all and they were absolutely fine with me so I didn't just go along with what other people are saying.

I don't find some of your actions particularly desirable but I don't go out of my way to make a personal attack. What you said was more than "I don't like him" which would have sufficed. You come across as a right cunt.

Stroopy, get to fuck mate. Not into all this meta bullshit, it's all about perception, etc etc. I said it so it obviously means it's my opinion, that's self-evident, totally obvious, and yeah it seems like quite a lot of people (the majority) thinks it make him look like a prick.

Once again Craig you've not read what I said. I didn't say you said anything about Miss Lucid just that you were happy to not condemn others for their opinion as they were your mates.

What actions would they be? I don't recall speaking to you or interacting with you much outside of this website?

• Upvote 1

We're all sticking up for a friend. What are you doing?

Being somewhat dumbstruck by how you both seem completely incapable of understanding that anyone would dislike your friend. And also enjoying how the two of you are acting like Phil has committed some irredeemable sin when EC doesn't give a fuck. In fact, given how much he trolls the site for a reaction, I'd imagine a post like Phil's is his goal on here.

Xx

Edited by Stroopy121
  • Upvote 1