aberdeen-music

Best/worst music in Aberdeen right now

ca_gere

There's not much else to it really, but if you want the long version: about 4 or 5 months before 1up closed and they'd been putting on a few more shows (Music Open Day etc.) there were rough plans to put on another all-dayer gig in there that fell through. This wasn't long after DM had just finished recording our first EP, so we asked if it'd be okay for us to take that date instead, to put the EP out, the idea being that it would be free on the condition that a purchase was made from 1up. 1up stocked it on their counter.

A few weeks later, we were playing Tunnels on a bill that Miss Lucid happened to be on too. Things had been a wee bit awkward as in the run up to the gig, their guitarist had kept asking Jan if they could borrow his amp and since it's vintage and second hand and he didn't personally know them, Jan declined saying that he was okay with them using his cab, but not head. They asked again on the night as we were packing up and getting off stage.

During our set, we mentioned that our EP was available for free at 1up. During their set, ML pointed out that as they were "professionals", they charged for their EP to recoup some of the costs that went into making it and that bands that gave their music away for free were the reason that everything was "going down the tubes". Their EP could be purchased through iTunes. We laughed at that and called them out later on the sheer irony of what they'd just said, to which they got very defensive.

It's all a bit of a shame really, as generally it's nice to have a bit of camaraderie and a laugh with bands you share a bill with and thus far, they've been the only band we've not enjoyed playing with. Regardless of whether we've really enjoyed each others' music, we've always been lucky enough to play with thoroughly pleasant folk.

what a massive dose of shite.

DWELLER were the best band Aberdeen has seen since the millenium.

Look, I like and respect you as a friend and a musician, but DWELLER were absolutely horrid.  Obviously you were appealing to the kids, so kudos, but fuck me that was some bad music.

A few other bands I dislkie include friends as members, so I maintain that I don't want to upset anyone.  At least I know Uzi won't care/can take it. 

Sidca were comically bad the two times I've seen them.  I don't understand  what people see in them.  No riffs, no hooks, terrible drummer.  Too many 2-piece bands have terrible drummers.  You have to be shit hot at your instrument to play in a 2-piece, in my opinion. 

Look, I like and respect you as a friend and a musician, but DWELLER were absolutely horrid.  Obviously you were appealing to the kids, so kudos, but fuck me that was some bad music.

Coming from the guy who likes Drive-By Truckers.

Favourite bands at the moment are Min Diesel, Pinact, Carson Wells, Deportees and The Little Kicks.

Some great bands who don't play anymore: Copy Haho, Toy, Fiction Action and Edgar Prais

Worst Bands: Artists like Gerry Jablonski, Deadfire, The Ruckus and UTN. There are a few bands kicking about the city at the moment who play in a similar vein to these acts. I understand most of these chaps are from a different generation to me, so most of the time I can't really relate to what they're playing. These kind of bands seem to get decent crowds though, I remember UTN getting over 400 people down to a CD launch of some description at the Lemon Tree when I worked there, so hats off to them.

Yeah we gigged with them a few times, they were pretty mesmerising to watch. Singer had a great voice, but the drummer was terrible for turning up without his own gear...not even sticks sometimes!

We got Toy to play with us in the lemon tree one night and yes the guy turned up with nothing at all, but he was an excellent drummer. Honest guys as well, they didnt humor us and say they liked us ect, were very honest about us not being their cup of tea to our faces, you really cant ask for much more. 

What is amusing in this thread is one of the bands actually getting somewhere, are the one of the most disliked, not an unusual thing for this city.

Only one band that we've played with or put on has sat through the back of a gig wearing sunglasses rather than support the other bands.

That's the kind of thing that causes the dislike - not the getting somewhere....

• Upvote 1

Wow. Who gave him the gig?

Not sure, but Cheeens was also on. When I asked Cheeens if it was the infamous MC Mad Mickey (as he now uses a different alias, apparently) he told me that it was but he didn't want to advertise that to anyone beforehand in case it stopped them from coming. Cheeens was good though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkIeVw-w8A