aberdeen-music

Best/worst music in Aberdeen right now

ca_gere

Rather than leaving it to a deathly silent feedback forum where the musicians themselves post their stuff, how about others stating the case for artists, etc they like. Also ones they don't like. Who's making the best music in Aberdeen right now? Who's making the worst? Post links, tell us what you like or don't like. Convince us of your opinion.

The only 'new' Aberdeen(ish) based music I've listened to recently is Indian Red Lopez's new song which I can't remember what it's called. Really liked it. I love IRL - probably my favourite band from round here.

I also listened to Lenin Death Mask the other day. I couldn't handle the singer's voice and had to give up about a minute in.

Other than that - loved the Marionettes debut album and Little Kicks most recent album.

I downloaded a Lockah EP the other day but I've nae listened yet.

Favourite local acts in no order (for realz)

Carson Wells

Das McManus

Needleman

DIRTDRINKER

Grader

Lung Season

Cavalcades

BOAK

Obscenities

Seas, Starry

Lockah

Sabrepulse (when he lived here)

Cleric

Duke

Lenin Death Mask

Worst (just my opinion mind)

OOK

Ascension

Without Reason

Mic Morris

Fonik

Edited by Jaaakkkeee
  • Downvote 1

Whatever happened to Copy Haho? I liked them, especially the earlier stuff, which had a bit of a midwest emo thing about it.

Dirtdrinker, Carson Wells and Min Diesel are my favourites. Prelude to the Hunt are decent too, though I'm not overly fond on the lead vocals.

The new Lung Season recordings sounds tiptop. I will wait until I see them and/or hear more before judging further.

Das McManus, [wall], Needleman and Bisongrass are also good. I've not seen BOAK yet, but I imagine it's something I will dig.

I don't like Miss Lucid, or that cock-rock band we (when I was in DM) played with at Slains. Slains is also a terrible, terrible venue for gigs.

I also listened to Lenin Death Mask the other day. I couldn't handle the singer's voice and had to give up about a minute in.

Aye that'll be me. We have two singers, our other song has Tom singing, if you ever get the chance to listen to them it might be more up your alley! Or not. Probably not.

Best Aberdeen bands/musicians:

Carson Wells

Dirtdrinker

Marionettes

Min Diesel [especially over the last year or so, huge leap in improvement]

Amanti

Lockah

Bands I don't like/get:

Any band that puts on swathes of reverb and sings about the beach, and being stoned, or says words like rad or gnarly. Fuck off mate. You can't write a tune, so you put on this affected lo-fi aesthetic and you've fooled every moron out there. Surfing? Fucking beaches and pizza and upside down crosses in ALL the artwork. Literally thousands of bands out there right now like that, absolutely cannot stand it. I don't know when it became cool to be ironic and laid back and not care about anything anymore, but I certainly can't be fucked with it. I'm blaming Wavves. [to be fair, this seems to be much more a central belt thing, probably doesn't apply to many/any aberdeen bands I know, just needed to get it off my chest]

Bands I don't like/get:

Any band that puts on swathes of reverb and sings about the beach, and being stoned, or says words like rad or gnarly. Fuck off mate. You can't write a tune, so you put on this affected lo-fi aesthetic and you've fooled every moron out there. Surfing? Fucking beaches and pizza and upside down crosses in ALL the artwork. Literally thousands of bands out there right now like that, absolutely cannot stand it. I don't know when it became cool to be ironic and laid back and not care about anything anymore, but I certainly can't be fucked with it. I'm blaming Wavves. [to be fair, this seems to be much more a central belt thing, probably doesn't apply to many/any aberdeen bands I know, just needed to get it off my chest]

everythingwesayisfact are hurting right now

Bands I don't like/get:

Is this about Dolfinz? Even if it isn't, it is inherently.

Is this about Dolfinz? Even if it isn't, it is inherently.

No. Not saying I love everything about them but their latest EP is gr8 and Jordan's started writing some really clever songs. I think they've moved past that whole seapunk thing anyway, I really enjoy the new stuff.

Akord are also absolutely terrible. Insanely dull, and their viral campaign just pissed me off. Doing okay, and I'm sure they're nice guys, I just detest the music.

You must hate Gnarwolves. 

Aesthetically not my thing, but the lyrics are good and the songs are well crafted and intelligient. I also think reverb can work well with lots of bands, like The Yawns, who can really nail a tune, I just think it's used as a sort of cover up for lack of songwriting ingenuinity.

Top 5 currently:

1. Carson Wells
2. Deportees
3. Absolutist
4. Ashley Park

5. Hjearts (i'm not in them anymore, so it's allowed)

Top 5 ever:

1. 10 Easy Wishes

2. Gilman St

3. Retreat

4. The No Pints

5. Quik

I'm not going to list bands I dislike because there are heaps.