aberdeen-music

Snafu & The Athenaeum Closing...

Neil

"After almost 10 amazing years at 1 Union St, it is with deep sadness and regret we must announce that Snafu & The Athenaeum look like they will be closing their doors for the final time.  Despite our best efforts, the two businesses can no longer sustain themselves in the current economic climate. Things are not to be."

Full announcement on their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/clubsnafu.aberdeen?hc_location=timeline

Snafu was my first port of call for a nightclub for a couple of years. Was so refreshing to find a place that played real electronic/dance music and had proper DJs and it had such a fantastic atmosphere. Discovered some amazing music in there. I remember seeing Mixmag bigging it up a few times, and it won Scottish nightclub of the year, quite an achievement for a little basement in Aberdeen. That said, I haven't been in in years so I don't know what it's like now. I was surprised when they started doing gigs. I went to a couple and they were ok but it was always a dance place to me.

Five was a really nice bar as well. I don't know what it's been like since I moved away but when I used to go in it was all shiny decor and laid back house music. I used to drink fruity drinks and pretend I was in Ibiza.

Only went once. The music was interesting but I didn't think much of it. Must've been an awesome place if one is seriously into dance, electronica and clubbing beyond its cheesiest incarnations; but I'm not, really. It's more sadly reflective of the (always, but now apparently increasingly so) difficulty of doing anything at all musically niche in Aberdeen. (Lockah should have a huge, reflective, angry post about this. Where is he when you need him? Oh, yes, Brighton...).

Had some seriously great times in Snafu: playing gigs, watching gigs, putting on gigs, dancing like a dick to ace DJs, answering stupid pub quiz questions, playing table football, making out with girls, spotting footballers, making new friends, rekindling old friendships, and generally enjoying what little quality Aberdeen night life there was.

Sad news.

It's been a long time since I went out regularly in Aberdeen and by the time I discovered how good Snafu was I was rarely out anyway. It was definitely one of my favourite places though. DHC an obvious highlight for me too but didn't get to go as often as I'd have liked. It's sad but all too familiar.

I'm too old for this sort if thing now so it doesn't affect me directly but sad for those involved for sure.

I do remember playing an enjoyable gig with Panda Eyes supporting Three Blind Wolves in there (25th March 2010, fact fans).  There was a gig with shit loads of guitars.  A couple of comedy nights.  But apart from that, I was rarely in the place.  Either it wasn't my kind of place, or I wasn't Snafu's kind of person.  Sorry to hear of the imminent passing all the same.  It's not pleasant when the work ship you're sailing in suddenly sinks.

Had many a good Thursday night out in Snafu at the DHC during my student days.  Friday mornings were always a write off.

Played at DHC too.

Great wee club, I always enjoy going there, very easy to get served in there too which is a bonus.  Although I was never sure how they expected me to dry my hands with no hand dryer.  Granted, the one they had previously was as about as effective as blowing on your hands, but still...

Henry's didn't bite the dust, the owner just wanted to sell up from what I heard.

Pretty gutted about Athenaeum, one of my favourite bars in Aberdeen. Didn't go to Snafu as much as I should've but I had some great times there at some of the DHC nights.

It's a shame a place like this is closing, yet copy and paste Belhaven-esque pubs and places with no soul or atmosphere are still going strong.

• Upvote 2