aberdeen-music

Local Music Reviews

Alkaline

I think that review stands up as a good example of how not to write a review. If you have no understanding or appreciation of the subject material, don't review it.

Yup just read like a typical keyboard warrior chucking out pointless negativity. Nothing wrong with disliking something but a bit of context would be good.

Well, running a zine as I do, we've had our fair share of problems with this sort of thing, main one being contributors. Phil, if you were to set it up you'd probably have to do most of it yrself until it caught on, as no matter how DIY or punk or helpful someone  says they are, people never hand things in on time. Ever. Sometimes weeks late.

If you managed to make it a completely honest and open forum for an exchange of ideas then that could only be a good thing. Good luck with it, it's certainly not something that the Headache zine covers and it might be interesting. Although there's a lot of people in this thread talking about reviewing bands etc who don't really seem to go to gigs...

Well, running a zine as I do, we've had our fair share of problems with this sort of thing, main one being contributors. Phil, if you were to set it up you'd probably have to do most of it yrself until it caught on, as no matter how DIY or punk or helpful someone  says they are, people never hand things in on time. Ever. Sometimes weeks late.

If you managed to make it a completely honest and open forum for an exchange of ideas then that could only be a good thing. Good luck with it, it's certainly not something that the Headache zine covers and it might be interesting. Although there's a lot of people in this thread talking about reviewing bands etc who don't really seem to go to gigs...

I don't really want to do a "zine", I'm only interested in reviewing recorded output. I'm not interested in reviewing gigs either. With that in mind, I don't see why I'd need to include anyone else unless I wanted to but the lower volume of recorded output for local bands shouldn't result in an overly taxing workload.

I've listenend too a lot of different types of music over the years so I believe I can be fairly objective when delivering a review and as with any review at the end it is really just my opinion and I'm certainly not afraid or concerned with upsetting anyone. If it's well written and objective then I don;t think anyone should have a problem with a critical review.

Jake goes to gigs, as does flights and soda. 

Not sure what the point here is.....

My gig going is minimal these days TBH. Not being in a gigging band has kept me out of the loop. There's a good number of bands I dig in Aberdeen, but rarely is there a line-up that jumps out at me and really urges me to go.

I was more open to contributing reviews of recorded releases, which Phil seems to be more focused towards.

My gig going is hampered by the fact it's about a 90 mile round trip to Aberdeen for me. I still attend as much as I can though! 

Plus I thought this was all about recorded material. I would be happy to contribute regularly to something along the lines of what Alkaline has proposed.