aberdeen-music

Local Music Reviews

Alkaline

As I'm fed up to the bollocks of the lack of reviews of local bands recorded output (the ones that do review seem to be very unwelcoming or disinterested in the Needleman/Das McManus split- I'd've been happy to at least see a shit review over no interest at all) I'm considering starting to review things myself. Would there be any interest in this? I'm happy to review any type of music really as well.

If any bands are interested let me know.

• Upvote 4

If a platform existed for local music reviews, such as a blog, I'd totally be up for contributing proper reviews of local music for it.

When it's just a post in a thread on Ab-Mus, I tend to not go into much detail other than "Hey this rulez. Sounds like ______. Guitar tone is MEGA" etc.

I'll be doing a blog.

I think the problem with the current ones is they only seem to review things they like, which is ridiculous. I'm more inclined to listen to anything and tell you If I didn't like it and why.

Mine were shit too mostly. It was too afraid of rustling jimmies to be mean about anyone, and fell into the "not my cup of tea but well played chaps" trap. I cringe a bit at some of the writing as well. I'm a much better writer now. Aberzine was a good idea, there weren't really any other zines when I started it (although a few popped up around the same time), but by the time I started it I barely went to gigs, which wasn't the ideal setup.

Plus I spaffed over Which Way Now a lot.

Www.Aberzine.blogspot.com

In order for this to succeed, it needs to be regularly maintained (new stuff every week), so reviewers have to do things like go to gigs and report on them in a timely manner. Deadlines have to kept, else what is the point? This goes for reviews of recorded material too.

I prefer honest reviews as well, which articulate why something is good or bad. An informed opinion is also important to me, reviewing Needleman when you have no clue about punk music is pretty pointless, in my opinion.

I think that a website like this should also concentrate on "local" music too, so no reviews of the latest Florence and the Machine etc...

I think another online review site for Aberdeen would be great.

• Upvote 3

As I'm fed up to the bollocks of the lack of reviews of local bands recorded output (the ones that do review seem to be very unwelcoming or disinterested in the Needleman/Das McManus split- I'd've been happy to at least see a shit review over no interest at all) I'm considering starting to review things myself. Would there be any interest in this? I'm happy to review any type of music really as well.

If any bands are interested let me know.

It has been out a while, but I'd easy fire you a Bisongrass disc for a review?

In order for this to succeed, it needs to be regularly maintained (new stuff every week), so reviewers have to do things like go to gigs and report on them in a timely manner. Deadlines have to kept, else what is the point? This goes for reviews of recorded material too.

I prefer honest reviews as well, which articulate why something is good or bad. An informed opinion is also important to me, reviewing Needleman when you have no clue about punk music is pretty pointless, in my opinion.

I think that a website like this should also concentrate on "local" music too, so no reviews of the latest Florence and the Machine etc...

I think another online review site for Aberdeen would be great.

I'd be more than happy to outsource gig reviews in the future but I'm happier to focus on reviewing releases by local bands at the moment.

Yeah and I get what you mean. Not enough of a focus on local music. It is lovely getting to listen to some great bands music before anyone else, but we definitely need something with a local focus.

See, I'm not interested in that side of it. I want to talk about bands on my doorstep not write reviews of bands who probably won't come anywhere near here.

I think if you spoke to John Anderson at http://57north.org/ he might be able to include a section for people who want to do reviews.  He used to run http://thekiosque.com/.

The thinking behind 57N was to have a hub of all creative activity in the local area, including events guide and resources section.  An events and released work review section with lots of contributors would probably be a very welcome addition.  It would also encourage repeat viewings and increased content.  

in fact - http://57north.org/get-involved

What do you mean?

A notional vacuum - just what you're talking about - lack of reviews, lack of feedback, as you said "I'd've been happy to at least see a shit review over no interest at all".  I'm agreeing with you.  Although it's a different thing, it's probably as deflating as playing a gig to five folk .  I can only speak for myself but I guess I'm creating music in an attempt to affect people in some way, whether it's making them dance, making them throw stuff at us, making them want to come and see us again, or making them want to write about it, for better or for worse.

Furthermore, I apologise for contributing to the lack of feedback on your stuff.  I used to be such an opinionated bugger but these days I'm quite the church mouse.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...