aberdeen-music

Manics in Glasgow

Laxton's Superb

I'm going to buy a ticket as long as my uni timetable isn't going to fuck it up. I don't see why they always have to play on a Tuesday in the middle of December, when folk have stuff to do for uni. Argh!!!!

The new songs seem quite poppy... VERY catchy, but ultimately shite compared to the first three albums. And pish lyrics, obviously. ANyone going hoping to see them play stunning versions of Faster, La Tristesse Durera or You Love Us, be prepared for disappontment. It's nae 1994 anymore...

The new songs seem quite poppy... VERY catchy' date=' but ultimately shite compared to the first three albums. And pish lyrics, obviously. ANyone going hoping to see them play stunning versions of Faster, La Tristesse Durera or You Love Us, be prepared for disappontment. It's nae 1994 anymore...[/quote']

Yeah my mate i went to see them with on the greatest hits tour was really pissed off they never played La Tristesse Durera as that was the song that got her into the manics in the first place. You will probably hear You Love Us as they usually close the set with that song.

I used to love them, but like a few others I think it just ain't the same anymore - The songs sound really weedy live nowadys and they completley lack the punch they used to have.

I've seen them a fair few times, from '95 including a few festival appearances and they have been worse every time (apart from T In The Park 2001, I think it was - when Wire was drunk and they ran on going "arrrghgh!" and melted "Faster" That was good, maybe they should drink more?

Holy Bible and half of Generation Terrorists (have you ever heard an album "tailing off" towards the end more?) are still two of my fave albums and I love Everything Must Go, but it's been a slow decline since then. Some good singles off "Truth" and a couple of good album tracks but nothing to equal the ferocity of the earlier stuff. I know they've grown up / matured or whatever, but it just ain't what i'm looking for anymore.

James still has a great voice - he should go solo and do improtu acoustic gigs like Ginger from the Wildhearts - I think that would suit him - He seems to like smoky pubs and getting close to the fans. Wire can stay at home, write books and do his housework which he oh so loves and which is oh so unfunny. The drummer can do what he's always done and stay anonymous.

It is pretty crap when you go to a gig just for "the oldies" though, innit? You kinda know you're onto a loser. Bands need to move on - It's nice to hear a few old faves, but hey, they'll be touring their new album, still trying to sound relevant and all that.

Would be good to hear back from the folks who are seeing them for feeedback.

Sorry, I went on a bit there. I'm turning into Nick Jones...........

I look forward to hearing the new album live as the tracks (Love of Richard Nixon, Empty Souls, Glasnost and Solitude Sometimes Is) are all pretty good, with the exception of the last on there, and at least they're being bold and seemingly doing something different on Life Blood unlike Know Your Enemy which just tried to rehash past glories (although I wouldn't consider Generation Terrorists a glory,fuckin GNR rubbish it is). The Holy Bible for 30 year olds according to Nicky Wire. At least they'll always be interesting and obviously they'll do some classics too (they better not do Faster bloody acoustic again!!) and they are formidable live.

I saw footage of some festival from this year of them doing Motorcycle Emptiness and it sounded so limp, They don't seem to do a lot of Gold Against the Soul stuff live, which is a pity because I think it's a great album, it might be a bit of a hit-searcher and really overblown, but it's got balls, as does Generation Terrorists, I like the Holy Bible but it's a little bit cold i think.

I'd fucking love to hear them do Roses in the Hospital, but it's unlikely.

I saw footage of some festival from this year of them doing Motorcycle Emptiness and it sounded so limp' date=' They don't seem to do a lot of Gold Against the Soul stuff live, which is a pity because I think it's a great album, it might be a bit of a hit-searcher and really overblown, but it's got balls, as does Generation Terrorists, I like the Holy Bible but it's a little bit cold i think.

I'd fucking love to hear them do Roses in the Hospital, but it's unlikely.[/quote']

I think they did Roses In the Hospital when I saw them in Manchester two years ago so they might be playing it again. Having said that they also played Slash 'n Burn and I really can't see them playing that so the same could apply for Roses.

Slash and Burn is a stormer of a song too, I think the first two albums seem to get looked over a bit because of the whole masterpiece status of the Holy Bible, but they're both excellent albums.

The end of Roses in the Hospital when James starts shouting out the various classic Manics rhetoric like "Credibility, I'm Yawning" and "The west scratches onto my skin" etc, while he's widdling away at the guitar in a Slash style, is absolutely unreal.

If you haven't heard it, you don't exist, go and download it.

I'm going to put it to the group that James Dean Bradfield is the best british rock vocalist of the 90's by a mile.

I've always thought if you were going to meet one of the Manics' date=' James would be the one to meet. Nicky seems a little cynical and resentful nowadays and Sean doesn't seem to be a people person, James is always doing those Glastonbury interviews and Jools Holland etc, seems like an man of honour, did he say much?[/quote']

It was complete fluke that I bumped into him (not literally). My alarm didn't go off so i got to the check-in desk at Manchester airport late and in a rush (to get home for the old firm game) and i was waiting in the queue and just turned around and he was there. I got him to sign my "Forever Delayed" photo book and he chose the picture (he visibley cringed when he looked at some of them). He sign a GT era one of the band on stage. He noticed that my accent wasn't Mancunian and asked me where i was from and what not and said that I should have went to the Glasgow show cos it was better. And when he went past me again on the way to his gate (I guess he was going to London) he came up and said hi again and shook my hand. He was extremely friendly despite the fact that i was disturbing him when he was with his missus. I've got the signed picture framed on my wall. :up:

I have also met them and james does indeed have a mean handshake and is incredibly polite. Wire was an ignorant twat however and sean was pleasant. I got you love us 12" and Slash and burn 12" signed which made me incredibly happy.

Im looking forward to seeing them again. The best time was at leeds festival a few years ago when they played its so easy, archives of pain and used jump by van halen as the intro to motown junk......Lovely stuff.

Thier acoustic rendition of faster on the greatest hits tour was uncalled for though. Its usually the song that gets everyone going but it was just bland.

Still an amazing band who are still releasing good stuff in my opinion as i really liked there by the grace of god, very new orderish. I am looking forward to hearing the new single as i havnt had the chance yet. Anyway thats my fan gushing overwith.