aberdeen-music

Free Aidan Moffat Gig in Aberdeen

Monster Zero

Have also got a ticket.

Looks like Aidan's the new Tom Weir.

He has a song called Weir's Way, so it's probably an intentional emulation.  :up:

I tried to get tickets for The Caves in Edinburgh. None available. I think there'll be a lot of chat about Scottish independence at these gatherings.

The Caves is tremendous. I've been very fortunate to play there several times. There are some great stories about that place and how it is linked to the Edinburgh underground vaults. The chap who owns it is a former international rugby player, and he was one of the first people to actually discover that Edinburgh had such an underground network of vaults and storage spaces back in the eighties when he was renovating The Caves.

This is as good a place as any for my Aidan Moffat anecdote: I once met Aidan Moffat when I was a fat, fresh-faced teenager working in a toy & model shop on Market Street. Arab Strap were playing at Glow303 that night, and he dropped by our shop to purchase some Star Wars figures. He had two women in tow, one of whom I later discovered to be Adele from Sons & Daughters; both of whom were fawning over him, despite the awful acne showing through his thick dark beard.

Anyway, I had tickets for the gig that night and made it known to him when he came to the counter to pay for the figures. He was clearly embarrassed of the recognition, and I asked for his signature, so he signed a piece of paper:

"Hi Phillip. I am embarased. Yours, Aidan Moffat."

I figured a grown man who relies on words to express his art ought to have been able to spell correctly. In the end, I couldn't attend the gig (probably due to a lack of late bus back to Portlethen afterwards), but the person I had arranged to go to the gig with said Aidan mentioned the incident on stage and asked if I was in the crowd. The crowd was obviously silent and apparently Aidan said "Well don't I look like a fucking twat?"

Oops.

Great bunch of lads.

• Upvote 3

This is as good a place as any for my Aidan Moffat anecdote: I once met Aidan Moffat when I was a fat, fresh-faced teenager working in a toy & model shop on Market Street. Arab Strap were playing at Glow303 that night, and he dropped by our shop to purchase some Star Wars figures. He had two women in tow, one of whom I later discovered to be Adele from Sons & Daughters; both of whom were fawning over him, despite the awful acne showing through his thick dark beard.

Anyway, I had tickets for the gig that night and made it known to him when he came to the counter to pay for the figures. He was clearly embarrassed of the recognition, and I asked for his signature, so he signed a piece of paper:

I figured a grown man who relies on words to express his art ought to have been able to spell correctly. In the end, I couldn't attend the gig (probably due to a lack of late bus back to Portlethen afterwards), but the person I had arranged to go to the gig with said Aidan mentioned the incident on stage and asked if I was in the crowd. The crowd was obviously silent and apparently Aidan said "Well don't I look like a fucking twat?"

Don't know if you were at the Lucky Pierre gig at Dr Drakes but the lady that he brought with him was real touch of class & rather beautiful as well....

That glow gig was the best ever AS gig in Aberdeen....no debate