aberdeen-music

Russia's Gay Games?

Teabags

I feel the same. However, it is frustrating to feel powerless to do anything in these situations so I guess I can see why some people might want to make a token gesture. The 2022 world cup makes me angry just thinking about it but I'll watch it. I really wish there was something that could be done to change it though.

I dont see why the 2022 world cup would make anyone angry. Does the whole world have to act the same as the western countires in order to meet our criteria of an acceptable culture? I get the impression (not specifically from you) that people seem to think that every gay person will be thrown in jail and beaten as soon as they enter Qatar, i can bet that the whole thing will pass without incident. 

Why is no one outraged at whats going on around the Brazilian world cup? People dying, the money the state needs is being wasted on stadiums and infrastructure they didnt need. 

Is it only when homophobia is brought into the equation that things change? 

I dont see why the 2022 world cup would make anyone angry. Does the whole world have to act the same as the western countires in order to meet our criteria of an acceptable culture? I get the impression (not specifically from you) that people seem to think that every gay person will be thrown in jail and beaten as soon as they enter Qatar, i can bet that the whole thing will pass without incident.

I think the Qatar thing is more about the slave-like labour forces they're using to build it.

The 2022 world cup makes me angry because it highlights how corrupt FIFA is as an organisation, how football is not their top priority and that they disregard fans of the sport. As they run the sport which I care about a lot this troubles me. 

And that's before even starting on issues like their government employing cheap labour from countries like Nepal and putting them to work in unsafe conditions and dying in their hundreds.

• Upvote 1

How can you say the quality of the tournament has suffered, when they havent even started building the stadium and infrastructure yet? Do you think Brazil will be better set up to suit a World Cup than Qatar will be? 

Its more than feesible that the Qatar world cup will be one of the best ever, in a country that can actually afford to host it, brand new top class stadia, and transport and accommodation that will put Brazil to shame.

Is it because Qatar is not a recognised footballing nation? 

Ah, so a good World Cup needs alcohol?

That's not what I said at all. I said fans going to a world cup would want to drink while on holiday and I think it's inconsiderate to hold the competition in a place where this is supposed to be impossible. It's far from my biggest problem with Qatar getting the competition, it's just one of them.

How can you say the quality of the tournament has suffered, when they havent even started building the stadium and infrastructure yet? Do you think Brazil will be better set up to suit a World Cup than Qatar will be? 

Its more than feesible that the Qatar world cup will be one of the best ever, in a country that can actually afford to host it, brand new top class stadia, and transport and accommodation that will put Brazil to shame.

Is it because Qatar is not a recognised footballing nation? 

Now it looks increasingly likely that it will get changed but the officials awarded Qatar the tournament to be played in stiflingly hot conditions that would without a doubt affect the quality of the football.

I said fans going to a world cup would want to drink while on holiday and I think it's inconsiderate to hold the competition in a place where this is supposed to be impossible.

Where did you hear that it's impossible to drink in Qatar? From wikipedia...

Alcohol consumption is legal in Qatar. Luxury hotels are allowed to sell alcohol to their adult customers.[58][59] Foreign nationals may obtain a permit to purchase alcohol for personal consumption. The Qatar Distribution Company (a subsidiary of Qatar Airways) is permitted to import alcohol and pork; it operates the one and only liquor store in the country, which also sells pork to holders of liquor licences.[60] Qatari officials have also indicated a willingness to allow alcohol in "fan zones" at the 2022 FIFA World Cup.[61]

Edited by Teabags

That's not what I said at all. I said fans going to a world cup would want to drink while on holiday and I think it's inconsiderate to hold the competition in a place where this is supposed to be impossible. It's far from my biggest problem with Qatar getting the competition, it's just one of them.

Now it looks increasingly likely that it will get changed but the officials awarded Qatar the tournament to be played in stiflingly hot conditions that would without a doubt affect the quality of the football.

But fans WILL be able to drink, that was cleared up a long time ago, it will just have to be done in designated area's and there will be strict laws on public disorder, much like Dubai. I dont see what the issue is with this? 

Its also worth noting, the bid for the world cup stated that the timing of the competition was negotiable, no one was ever bidding for a summer world cup, just for the opportunity to host a world cup. 

What are the other issues you have with Qatar getting to host a world cup?

Edited by The Milner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24122625

Just the first one i found,

The governing body insisted that as part of the bidding process, all bidders had to accept that there could be a change to the schedule at Fifa's behest.

Its also on the official Fifa site if i remember correctly. 

There are a couple of points ill bring you up on tho. The stadiums will be dismanlted and given to other countries when the world cup is finished, they will be built in such a way that they can easily be taken apart and shipped to needy area's. Much like they did with the uneeded south african stadiums after their world cup, only these will be top of the range. However people are dying right now in Brazil trying to rush through stadium building, will you oppose this world cup over the lack of care for the people building the stadiums?

I really dont see why Australia deserves it more, so what if they have been promoting football, who's to say this world cup will not have a huge effect on the people of Qatar when it comes to football? I really dont think the world cup should be limited to just popular footballing regions. 

Well that last part is just something we'll have to differ on. I think it should be football countries which get it. 

Of course I object to the conditions in Brazil as well.

The quote

"The governing body insisted that as part of the bidding process, all bidders had to accept that there could be a change to the schedule at Fifa's behest." 

means nothing to me, FIFA can say that because they like to make any demand of a host country at any time.

According to Auclair (who I would trust more than any member of fifa) the tender documents did state they were bidding for a June/ July world cup. That's the reason why Australia will probably sue Fifa if the competition does get moved. Sepp Blatter maintained for almost two years after the bidding that the competition would be in summer.

It is good to hear there is a plan in place for the stadiums.

Seems odd to boycott watching this, as you will achieve exactly nothing by it, except missing out yourself on some good winter olypmic sports. It certainly wont make a single bit of difference to the way Russia are going about things.

I felt it was the right thing to do. I boycott loads of things knowing full well its not going to make much/any difference. Then again, you wouldnt say the same about voting - which isnt dissimilar.