aberdeen-music

Sochi 2014

Teabags

The Ice-Hockey has a fucking shite format. The Women's tournament at least the Men's might be different. The Women's competition is divided into two groups, the top 4 seeds are in one group and the 4 shits in the other. The top 2 in the good group go straight to the semis while the bottom two have to play quarter finals against the top 2 of the other group. I hate it when organisers do things like this in sports. If it has to be seeded place two of the top four in each of the groups, if they are the best they'll get to the semis but if they fuck up well then it's their fault and they deserve to go out at the first stage.

That sounds fucking ridiculous.

The groups look move even in the men's tournament. 3 groups that each have 2 higher seeded teams and two lower seeded teams...

Group A: Russia (RUS), Slovakia (SVK), United States (USA), Slovenia (SLO)

Group B: Finland (FIN), Canada (CAN), Norway (NOR), Austria (AUT)

Group C: Czech Republic (CZE), Sweden (SWE), Switzerland (SUI), Latvia (LAT)

Top 4 teams go into quarterfinals. Bottom 8 play for the remaining 4 spots, with highest seed playing lowest seed (so 5th plays 12, 6th plays 11th etc etc).

More info here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=703821&navid=DL|NHL|home

I've enjoyed watching a lot of the snowboarding and skiing events.  Have to say the commentary is awful though from the beeb.

As soon as a British person is in the event they turn into personal cheerleaders.  Even at times celebrating the fact another athlete has messed up and it's helped the Team GB person.  That's not what you want from commentary you want them to describe whats going on and give actual factual opinion on what should get good marks or where someone messed up.

During the skiing slopestyle they built up the GB girl, she fell halfway and they didn't even show her score.  They showed every other athletes score even if they did fall.  Really poor coverage.

I haven't watched much live but I've watched the "Today At The Winter Olympics" highlights program every night. It's pretty dreadful. They only seem to show sports that have British people in them, and gloss over the others, and waste much of the the hour interviewing Team GB, their families, partners etc. It's a gigantic Team GB fap-fest. The show is an hour long, just squeeze as much sport into the hour please. I don't care how proud that snowboarders mum is. And FFS don't skip fun sports like the speed skating and the hockey because there's no Brits in them, then show me extended highlights of fucking curling.

I have to agree. I've also been watching the hourly highlights programme and it should be a lot better. I'm finding Claire Balding quite annoying which I never have before. Going on and on about stuff like #lovecurling and making jokes about the doubles luge is infuriating. Just show me some sport for fuck sake. The half pipe snowboarding has probably been my favourite thing of the last couple of days. 

I've been enjoying having some live sport to watch in the morning while I have my breakfast. Caught the tail end of the ski-slopestyle qualifying and the 2nd run in the women's skeleton today both of which were hella good. I thought the commentary on the slopestyle was much improved on the snowboard version, they've toned things down well since the weekend, and there's something very compelling about people throwing themselves head first down an icy hill.

Wednesday nights show was actually pretty good. They showed the final of the women's half pipe in good detail, showed both runs for all the major contenders and stuck with it for long enough to actually make it exciting and interesting, rather than just show all the Brits then 5 second clips of all the other competitors. Of course it may have helped that there were no Brits in it. Though they then showed 5 minutes of men's 2 man luge and went to the curling.

Kristers Gud?evskis saved 55 of 57 shots that Canada threw at him. Canada had more shots on goal each of the three periods than latvia got the whole game. Gud?evskis only just recently made it as far as the AHL and almost singel-handedly caused a crazy upset against Canada. What a game. Holy shit.

Also, Men's curling semi-final for team GB was boss. Some amazing take outs and then two missed shots by either team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26264655

Edited by Teabags

I haven't watched ice hockey for many years. Watching the bronze medal match just now. Are outfield players allowed to touch the puck with any part of their body? I'm pretty sure I just saw a Finnish player scooping it out of the air with his hand and I think I saw someone controlling it with a an ice skate earlier. Crazy bastards.