aberdeen-music

Sochi 2014

Teabags

So, the Winter Olympics in Russia. Who's interested?

Aside from NHL players telling their families not to travel to Russia over safety concerns, the US Navy having a boat ready to evacuate everyone in case of a terror attack, and all the gay rights controversey, should be fun!

Oh, and from the looks of things, Sochi itself is completely unprepared for any of it: http://cheezburger.com/179717

It'll be interesting anyway.

TO be fair, you can probably all guess, I only REALLY care about the Ice Hockey. Though, in 2010 I got well into watching curling as well.

Winter Olympics is the tits. I probably like it better than the summer ones. I'll be watching when I can. Sounds like a bit of a clusterfuck though in fairness most of the stuff in the link above seemed to be the hotels. Sure the bits where they're doing the actual sports will be fine... right?

I liked the bee in the honey best. That's how you know it's quality honey.

I enjoy a good amount of the winter olympics although it suffers a bit from me having no idea who anyone is and not really caring who wins. Ice Hockey, Bobsleigh, Skeleton, Speed Skating, downhill skiing and ski jumping are all great. Cross country skiing and all the figure skating can fuck off. And I don't really know why but Luge is crap in comparison with the other sliding down ice sports.

Mainly enjoying the shadenfreude over the yet again farcical results of the collision between international sport and corruption. And the journalists being shocked, shocked, on being asked to put toilet paper in the bin. Welcome to the world...

I did get the gist of a Dispatches doc over facebook last night, didn't seem so amusing. :(

• Upvote 1

I'll watch as much of it as time permits. Not too bothered about skiing stuff, but people getting lobbed down giant water slides made of ice is totally badass.

And Hockey is great, obvs.

But the only drawback it has on the Summer games is no Handball. A sport for all seasons. Can't they just somehow squeeze it in?

We're all cheering on my boy Ben Kilner in the halfpipe.  A good friend from school, who came 8th in 2010.  Here's hoping he can break into the top 4 (although I don't think he's expected to).  Shaun Whyte will win it again, Ben says he can do stuff that no-one else comes close to. 

The Ice-Hockey has a fucking shite format. The Women's tournament at least the Men's might be different. The Women's competition is divided into two groups, the top 4 seeds are in one group and the 4 shits in the other. The top 2 in the good group go straight to the semis while the bottom two have to play quarter finals against the top 2 of the other group. I hate it when organisers do things like this in sports. If it has to be seeded place two of the top four in each of the groups, if they are the best they'll get to the semis but if they fuck up well then it's their fault and they deserve to go out at the first stage.