aberdeen-music

three albums that shaped your music today

bikelife

They are a band for people who don't really like music. Saying that though, I bet there are plenty of folk on here who have a couple of their albums, I know I've got 2 or 3 and I have no fucking idea why. Bass funk aimless shirtless wank. Californication was mastered by a deaf cunt as well.

I completely agree. See also: Foo Fighters.

Pretty pointless reply, just wanted you my seal of approval.

orca-yes.gif

On topic: three arbitrary Foo Fighters/RHCP albums inspired me to never compose artless guff. 

They are a band for people who don't really like music. Saying that though, I bet there are plenty of folk on here who have a couple of their albums, I know I've got 2 or 3 and I have no fucking idea why. Bass funk aimless shirtless wank. Californication was mastered by a deaf cunt as well.

Maybe so, but their influence on every rock band after them is massive enough that you shouldn't dismiss them out of hand too readily. Its the same with Kiss. They are a naff band. They are horribly generic, but a huge number of late 80s and 90s alt-rock and Grunge bands can trace their roots back to Kiss; this is because literally everyone listened to them. Without them there would be no Nirvana or no Red Hot Chili Peppers for example. 

Also, here is my favourite Kiss song:

Edited by Orthodox Caveman

Not sure that means every band will be influenced by them, just as likely to be the White Stripes, or Mogwai, or the Smashing Pumpkins (cough) or loads of other big rock bands. Jan above plays in a rock band, which I think it's fair to assume is not influenced by the RHCP. Ditto with Kiss, just as likely, if not more likely, to have been Van Halen, Deep Purple, Led Zep and so on which influenced Extreme, Poison, MrBig, G'n'R, The Darkness, or whoever we might be talking about.

Yup. In much the same way that every generic stadium-rock band of a generation has the same influence. Most musicians don't pick up their first instruments and cut their teeth on bootlegged Neutral Milk Hotel B-sides.

If this really was the case, I think I would actively be trying to stop music from happening, as it is too horrific to contemplate.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

oh min.

Nae idea really but probably something by the following:

The Who= Greatest Hits or something like that.

Wolfmother = Can't remember

OCS=  M-Shoals

When I heard their albums I was like....man I want to play in a band just like that. I'm hopeless with LP names etc. I remember hearing TFC Grand Prix and also made me want to learn to play better.

So it's not so much albums that influenced you to play, but albums that influence how you play? Man that's a tough question. Off the top of my head:

Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains. Not even my favourite AIC album, but I think I took a lot from it when I was writing for Cobra Kai. The songs are all slow, gloomy, introspective, kind of repetitive and they build up slowly, definitely all traits that featured in most of the Cobra Kai tracks I wrote.

Damien Rice - O. This album heavily influenced the way I write songs and the way I try to sing when I'm playing acoustic. I love the way his songs build up to these big powerful crescendos, but then they drop off to him barely touching his guitar strings and singing in just the tiniest thinnest whisper. He gets so much range in his voice, not in terms of notes and scales but in terms of power and emotion and its hugely influenced the way I perform.

Dashboard Confessional - A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar. Again, not an album that I'm huge fan of, and not something that I've consciously done, but I've definitely picked up elements of my guitar playing style from it, and my songwriting and sense of melody too. I can hear big swathes of this album in the Cobra Kai stuff (especially the songs the rest of the band rejected for being "too emo", ha ha)

Good thread.