aberdeen-music

three albums that shaped your music today

bikelife

Red Hot Chili Peppers- By The Way

(The first real album I ever bought, inspired me to start playing music, still listen to it 12 years after its release, inspired by the band's wide influences to start listening to loadsa new music)

Standout Track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VU2kdbANwA

Joni Mitchell- Blue

(Quite simply, the album that taught me how deep and powerful simplicity in music could be)

Standout Track:

Isis- The Red Sea

(In my opinion, the heaviest album ever released, powerful and daring, brutal and unrelenting)

Standout Track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIGCKTMlFDQ

Edited by Orthodox Caveman

Red Hot Chili Peppers- By The Way

(The first real album I ever bought, inspired me to start playing music, still listen to it 12 years after its release, inspired by the band's wide influences to start listening to loadsa new music)

Standout Track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VU2kdbANwA

Joni Mitchell- Blue

(Quite simply, the album that taught me how deep and powerful simplicity in music could be)

Standout Track:

Isis- The Red Sea

(In my opinion, the heaviest album ever released, powerful and daring, brutal and unrelenting)

Standout Track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIGCKTMlFDQ

Joni Mitchell - Blue.. Outstanding.. Too many great albums.. I must admit I dont listen to a lot of new artists but Im sure there is some good stuff out there.

This may will be the most passionate statement I've ever seen somebody make regarding the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

They are a band for people who don't really like music. Saying that though, I bet there are plenty of folk on here who have a couple of their albums, I know I've got 2 or 3 and I have no fucking idea why. Bass funk aimless shirtless wank. Californication was mastered by a deaf cunt as well.

I share Jan's opinion of By the Way, but I own (and wore out) Mother's Milk and BloodSugarSexMagic and as I said, Fruscianti was a big (and probably permanent) influence on my playing. Weirdly enough, I was getting into Tool, Satch and Vai, and probably loads of other muso stuff at the same time. A year or two earlier my very mainstream first-year uni flatmates were enthusiastically into the aforementioned abortion (and maybe the greatest hits) which prejudiced me against the band, but reading about Frusciante constantly in Total Guitar I went back and checked out his heyday. RHCP are a bit like Limp Bizkit for me: genuinely creative, credible musicians inexplicably fronted (and critically emasculated) by a dumb-as-bricks clown. IMO:

Frusciante's Vai-and-Hendrix-disciple playing rammed into a funky cock-rock (or cocky funk-rock?) band on Mother's Milk was awesome, and Pretty Little Ditty I think is one of the nicest and most interesting additions to the Hendrix-tribute subgenre of instrumental rock. Biggest influence on me though was probably the ramped-up strat tone: I was beginning to like the single-coil sound, but was also into shred and heaviness, and this made both seem possible in the same set-up. This album, as well as Guthrie Govan's live work with a Suhr Classic, made me buy a strat, moving away from my Gibson copy and EVH-style Peavey. Regards BloodSugarSexMagic, the more "serious" lyrics are nevertheless completely naff, and whatever else, but even if the funk is not the most legit (which I'm not sure is necessarily true, and the "white-boy funk" derision which sometimes accompanies such criticism is particularly dubious), the chord work is easily transferable to other funk or rock contexts in either direction (particularly since in actual funk the guitar player doesn't have all that much to do). A lot of the funky chord rhythms and voices I prefer, as well as the angular middle-string riffs I come up with, I can probably trace back to this album. The electric finger-picking thing (which can also be heard on such classics as, er, Maroon 5's "She Will Be Loved") were helpful, to the extent that I use it.

/cool long story

Edited by scottyboy

They are a band for people who don't really like music. Saying that though, I bet there are plenty of folk on here who have a couple of their albums, I know I've got 2 or 3 and I have no fucking idea why. Bass funk aimless shirtless wank. Californication was mastered by a deaf cunt as well.

Now Jan, dont be that guy, we all have skeletons in our musical closet. I once bought a Smashing Pumpkins album for fucks sake.

On the Chili Peppers, I still think 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' is a decent album (though of its time). 'Californication' and 'By the Way' had some OK songs but everything I have heard by them since has been horrible. I was hopelessly turned off them after going to see them at Murrayfield circa BtW, Kiedis was an insufferable cunt.

I rewatched 'Point Break' the other week, seeing him get shot in the foot is always a good moment.

• Upvote 1

The Muse drummer is one of my favourites. In my younger days I thought he was a shit musician compared to the other two. I mean, damn, dem basslines, and dat vocals. But now that I'm a little bit wiser* and listen back, he's solid. He doesn't do many extravagant fills, but no one ever needs to. He holds a solid beat and know how to drum what and when to drum what.

*wiser, me, lol.

Remember Atik Star? Their drummer was a good drummer, but he showed off too much. Aaron once told him, in the nicest possible way, "calm down on the crazy fills. there's too much, takes focus away from the song and the song's worse off because of all these crazy fills every two seconds, and live, trying to do all this stuff will cause timing problems" basically. He did not like that one bit. Was quite funny seeing his reaction actually.

Remember Atik Star? Their drummer was a good drummer, but he showed off too much. Aaron once told him, in the nicest possible way, "calm down on the crazy fills. there's too much, takes focus away from the song and the song's worse off because of all these crazy fills every two seconds, and live, trying to do all this stuff will cause timing problems" basically. He did not like that one bit. Was quite funny seeing his reaction actually.

Aw man I wish I could'a seen that. Kelvin was the MAN behind a kit but fuck me did he not half play some unnecessary pish!

xx

I've been lucky enough to play in front of some very solid drummers in my time playing in bands in Aberdeen. Neil Scollay (Darth Elvis/Eric Euan) in Undertow/Cedar Rose, Ian Morrison (Slipstream/Clachan Yell) in Genevieve and the mighty David Woahds (Dross/Das McManus) in Needleman. All three have presence, timing and the ability to help shape songs that we're writing without overstating the drumming just for the sake of it.

Edited by Alkaline

Kelvin was very good, but far too much of a show off.

In Aberdeen terms there has rarely been anyone better than Ross who was in the X-Certs. That man could do things behind the kit that blew me away, and he NEVER missed a beat. Nick from MMW was also extremely good. 

Kelvin was very good, but far too much of a show off.

In Aberdeen terms there has rarely been anyone better than Ross who was in the X-Certs. That man could do things behind the kit that blew me away, and he NEVER missed a beat. Nick from MMW was also extremely good. 

Nick from MMW is a machine. When I recorded with him he was setting up the kit and went "i'll just have a play around, haven't drummed in a while" and just blew the whole band away. He then said "fuck, i'm a bit rusty". It was the best drumming I had ever witnessed.