aberdeen-music

The Running Thread

Gladstone

Well, I ran the whole way. 2:30. Paced myself really well at the start and probably could've pushed it a bit more than I did in the last 4 miles because I had a fair amount of energy left. I was so concentrated on not having to slow down to a walk so I was really cautious and didn't gauge how fast I could go properly. About 800m before the finish line you get herded up onto a boardwalk and there were loads of people cheering everyone on, was a really cool feeling. 

There's no way in hell I could've done it 6 months ago so i've got to be pleased with that. I don't think i've caught the runner's bug quite yet though. Maybe once I start actually considering times and PBs it'll catch on. For the most part I found the actual running pretty boring. After the race I was thinking a full marathon just seems ludicrous but with a bit of time and more intensive training it doesn't seem so impossible anymore. Still... the thought of the race I just did being ONLY HALF WAY ROUND is mental. Hats off to you proper runners.

Good effort! Well done for finishing your first half!

I know what you mean about marathons. I still think the thought of running for 4-5 hours in a single race is pretty daunting.  I think a half marathon is quite a good length for me but I will probably get round to doing a full marathon or an ultra at some point.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So, aye - how's the running going folks!?  I haven't been on the forum for about 6 months...

Just read back and good to see ca_gere managing his first half marathon!  Well done loon, well done!  You managed to not absolutely beast yourself in the first 3 miles which is a win in itself - I know plenty of experienced runners who still get caught up in the moment at the start of races and wonder why they're getting overtaken in the final couple of miles!

I've had a pretty good past year or so - can't quite remember when my last update was but the first half of this year was totally marathon focused with Edinburgh Marathon at the end of May.  I ran my first cross country race since school in February at Haddo House and managed 5th place which I was damn pleased with!  I then ran Inverness Half Marathon in 1:23:49 which was a big step forward and a couple of weeks later ran Garioch HM as a marathon training run in 1:29:something or other.  Then it was just all training - I was going to run Baker Hughes but I strained a calf muscle 6 weeks out from the marathon so opted against Baker Hughes in favour of getting one last long run in.  Marathon target was sub 3 and the training was there - but on the day there was an absolute fucker of a headwind from mile 18 all the way to the finish and I finished in 3:03:39.  Very pleased with that!  Obviously sub 3 would have been better but I know the wind played a huge factor - I lost 5 mins in the last 5 miles and it wasn't because I was fucked, I just didn't have it in me to push against the gale force wind at that pace!!

Since then, my social calendar seems to have worked against me in terms of entering 10k races etc. over the Summer.  I was hoping to have a blast at Aviemore 10k as it's supposed to be a good PB course, but I had a wedding that weekend.  I've ran a few Parkruns and quickest has been 18:05 - going to have a bash at the new Ellon Parkrun on Saturday and see if I can't dip under 18 mins, then 1st November it's Brodie Castle 10k (replaces the old Dyke 10k) - I think sub 37 should be on the cards, but we'll see...  And then 15th November it's Fraserburgh Half Marathon - not quite sure what the target is yet - will see how the next couple of weeks go first but certainly be hoping for a decent PB!

Chris - I see your legendary club mate has represented GB this summer!  Was it at the hill racing world champs or something?  He's a beast!!

I did the Aviemore half marathon a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not really as runner, I just keep fit playing football and other sports, so just gave it my best shot.  Finished in 1.43 which is probably around what I was hoping for.  Makes me want to get back into 10ks and get my time down; I just worry I'm not the right sort of build for it, or something.  I seem far more injury prone from running than playing footy or tennis, which is pretty odd.  

Really enjoyed the sense of occasion and camaraderie at the event, plus its a bloody beautiful track.  

1:43 is a good time - "not really a runner"?? Loads of runners out there would love that time! Well done!

If you're picking up injuries you're probably overdoing things in training - not building up gradually enough is the common mistake. Your body will be well adapted to the rigours of football and tennis but it takes time for your legs to build up the ness scary strength etc to be able to cope with the repetitive strain of running long distance.

• 2 weeks later...