aberdeen-music

Festivals 2014

colb

On 11/14/2016 at 6:04 AM, Mr Owl PhD said:

So this was totally ace.  I think the Saturday evening was possibly the greatest musical night of my life.  Loads of great stuff that I missed as well, for one reason or another. 

Pretty much anyone who likes music should go to this festival.  It's really easy to do, very pleasant, not massively expensive and incredibly diverse.  Nice to see a few other folks from Aberdeen there too.

Yaaaaas! Who all did you see? 

We saw: Steve Gunn/Lonnie Holley/Deerhoof/Wand/Mario Batkovic/Bo Ningen/Beak>/Les Filles de Illighadad/Idris Ackamoor and the Pyramids/Tim Hecker/Deutsche Ashram/Happy Meals/Dinosaur Jr/Cate Le Bon/Zerfu/The Ex and Fendika/Digable Planets/Canshaker Pi/Horse Lords/Scott Fagan/Patty Waters/Pauline Oliveros/Tortoise/Samuel Kerridge/St Francis Duo/Suuns/Junun ft: Shye Ben Tzur, Jonny Greenwood and the Rajasthan Express

I think this year was their most experimental and weird line-up yet, after it slowly going that way over the last few years. I had a vague list of bands to see, but didn't end up sticking to it and just went along with whatever was going on, just pleased to be there as it's such an ace festival. Missed out on loads of great stuff because we couldn't face the walk back from De Helling. It's a great venue but SO FAR AWAY from the rest of the festival and always inevitably raining and 3am when you're walking back home from there.

59 minutes ago, kirsten said:

Yaaaaas! Who all did you see? 

We saw: Steve Gunn/Lonnie Holley/Deerhoof/Wand/Mario Batkovic/Bo Ningen/Beak>/Les Filles de Illighadad/Idris Ackamoor and the Pyramids/Tim Hecker/Deutsche Ashram/Happy Meals/Dinosaur Jr/Cate Le Bon/Zerfu/The Ex and Fendika/Digable Planets/Canshaker Pi/Horse Lords/Scott Fagan/Patty Waters/Pauline Oliveros/Tortoise/Samuel Kerridge/St Francis Duo/Suuns/Junun ft: Shye Ben Tzur, Jonny Greenwood and the Rajasthan Express

I think this year was their most experimental and weird line-up yet, after it slowly going that way over the last few years. I had a vague list of bands to see, but didn't end up sticking to it and just went along with whatever was going on, just pleased to be there as it's such an ace festival. Missed out on loads of great stuff because we couldn't face the walk back from De Helling. It's a great venue but SO FAR AWAY from the rest of the festival and always inevitably raining and 3am when you're walking back home from there.

That's a fairly different selection of stuff to what I saw, although it includes quite a lot of people I'd have liked to have seen but wasn't able to.  I only arrived on Friday so missed the Thursday stuff (including Lonnie Holley who is totally brilliant).  I also missed the stuff on Sunday evening, as I was travelling back.  Some of the stuff I got to was: Jherek Bischoff/ Hannah Peel/ Jessy Lanza/ Klara Lewis/ Circuit des Yeux/ Aine O'Dwyer/ Julia Holter/ Tashi and Yoshi Wada/ Let's Eat Grandma/ Digable Planets/ Laurel Halo/ Karolus Magnus/ Jospehine Foster/ Phurpa/ Amber Arcades.  Also bits and pieces of various other things and a couple of the films they were showing.

I agree about de Helling and only saw one artist there (Klara Lewis).  Luckily I was staying fairly nearby so didn't have to walk to far to go to bed afterwards!  The stuff in the Janskerk was particularly great.  An amazing venue.