aberdeen-music

Festivals 2014

colb

• 2 months later...

I just got back from my first ever End of the Road Festival.  Was generally enjoyable - it's a nice site and the weather was good.  Highlights were Woods and Lonnie Holley but Cate Le Bon, Tune-yards, David Thomas Broughton, Samantha Crain, Tiny Ruins and Tinariwen were all enjoyable.  Some good comedy and cinema stuff too.  The main disappointment was that three of the acts I wanted to see pulled out and I missed a few things because of clashes.  Might go again next year, although I have a slight preference for Green Man, which I've been to a few times before and which is maybe slightly better.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The line up seems to focus on older bands every year. If you look at the top five or six names each night there's hardly an act which hasn't been around for 15 years or more. I guess that sells the most tickets but I think they've maybe got the balance a bit wrong. Looks better for techno this year though, especially there's still the boiler room stage to be announced like last year. 

I always make Spotify playlists when line-ups are announced to familiarise myself with the bands I don't know. I tend to just take the top five tracks from the 'popular' section of the artist pages, but it looks like now the popular tracks are sorted by which have the most plays recently rather than all-time most popular, so some of it may be pish. 

Anyhoo, if anybody else is interested, here they are.

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

This was especially nice to do because it was the first time I got to properly look at the line-up and I spotted Fumaca Preta are playing (Friday). They're my top tip, such a fun live band.

*Edit* This is about Primavera. I forget this is a general festivals thread and not just the Primavera thread. AB-MUS ON TOUR!

Edited by kirsten
  • Upvote 1