aberdeen-music

Favourite Kids TV

jester1470

I've always loved kids TV, have collections of it on DVD and when it's done well i think it's great. my favourite will always be the Smallfilms stuff like Bagpuss, the Clangers, Tottie, and Ivor the engine. Other favourites include:

I loved, and still do love, Bagpuss, there's something about the animation and Oliver Postgate's voice that just make you think of childhood.

Mysterious Cities of Gold - I remember this seemed to go on forever when i was young, loved it, very excited to see they've just done a second series 30 years on... must catch it up.

The 80's were a great time for the epic episodic cartoons, I also loved Dogtanian, Ulysses 31 and Around the World with Willy Fogg.

The Adventure Game - bizarre show but made cool by the Vortex - gronda, gronda your highness, the precursor to Crystal Maze along with the equally great Knightmare.

Dungeons and Dragons - the 80's had some great cartoons that were purely designed to sell toys such as this, He-Man and Transformers.

The adventures of Tom Sawyer - These used to be on at 5.05 until 5.30 and they would rotate with Heidi and The adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I still remember the start with the epic paddle steamer, oither things that were great at the time that shared this timeslot were Gentle Ben and Grange Hill (whose most memorable character in my era was played by an Aberdonian - ooh the glamour!)

Dr Who - was a family show but I remember watching it from about 1980 onwards when i was 4, my first TV memory was Tom Baker falling off a telescope and becoming the Wet Vet.

Eerie Indiana - This was a bit later but it had a style, i think it was an attempt to do a slightly surreal kids show in a Twin peaks style, amazing to think it was out 2 years before the X-files.

There were so many great things in this time period, i haven't got started on let's Pretend, Chokablock, Captain Zap Space Detective, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Cheggers Plays Pop, Crackerjack and so many...

Anyone else have fond memories of their favorites ?

I have fond memories of loads of shows and I also bought a few on dvd to rewatch. 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was my favourite for a long time, for a while there was an episode on every day at the perfect time before I had to leave for school. 

Another big favourite was The Visionaries. A lot of people write this off as being made purely to sell toys. Maybe it was, I don't care it was the best. And it still holds up. Amazing intro too. 

I also loved Dogtanian and bought it too.  

Agree on Willy Fog and Mysterious Cities of gold too although I remember little about Cities of gold other than the theme tune.

I was also a big fan of Mask but I saw an episode if it a few years back and it was actually terrible.

I was also a big fan of Mask but I saw an episode if it a few years back and it was actually terrible.

I was the same i made my other half watch it, and told her it was brilliant and she'd love it and then we watched it for the first time in probably 20 years, i think maybe it just jad good starting credits because the cartoon wasn't particularly good :p

However what we did watch that was still awesome was:

defenders00.jpg

Knightmare, obviously.

I loved the TV series version of the Narnia books.

For a few years in the late 80's the BBC did some really brilliant kids book adaptations, there were the Narnia books, they did 2 5 Children and it stories, and the Phoenix and the carpet, and then they did the borrowers, they used to show them at Sunday Teatime in the lead up to Christmas, i think the first one they did may have been the Box of Delights, something we still watch every 2 or 3 years at Christmas. It's a shame the same effort isn't put into kids/family dramas as much now, these were always a great lead up to Christmas.

I'm editing a book at the moment written by the guy who voiced Scott Tracey, Shane Rimmer, really nice guy, with some acting resume, but he was also Dick Spanner PI :)

Unfortunate name.

The 'Birds was a great program. Plausible technology, well developed plots and the best musical score ever.

Hollywood made a cunt of the movie though.

Can't say I remember Dick Spanner.

Edited by Diesel

I'm editing a book at the moment written by the guy who voiced Scott Tracey, Shane Rimmer, really nice guy, with some acting resume, but he was also Dick Spanner PI :)

Loved Dick Spanner - "Don't point that finger at me, it might be loaded. I was right".

I loved Dangermouse, bagpuss, samuri pizza cats, sharky and george, Run the Gauntlet, in fact a whole heap of them. Seem to remember a thread like this being started last year when CITV had the old skool weekend.

I watched all the stuff in the original post, we must be about the same age. I don't watch kids tv any more though I stil watched Nickelodeon stuff aimed at teenagers up until my mid 20s. The only thing I'd still watch now would be The Flinstones. Such a great show.

I'd probably watch some old school Sesame Street if I was flicking the channels and it was on, for about ten minutes until I remembered I'm 34. Same applies to Spongebob.

Gordie Racer - who remembers that from primary school

Ghost Writer - "he's a ghost, who writes to us, Ghost Writer"

He Man

Power Rangers.

Bill and Ben the flower pot men - bit of an old one, but my grandparents had them on betamax

Tom Cat

Sister Sister

Boy Meets World

Sabrina the teenage witch

Doug

Rugrats

All classic tv shows i used to watch when i had cable tv. 

Edited by The Milner