aberdeen-music

Bruce Springsteen

jester1470

Anyone else a fan ?

He's an artist I've only come to appreciate over the past 4 or 5 years, i always liked things like the Ballad of Tom Joad and his acoucticcy things, but was slightly concerned most of his other stuff might sound like born in the USA, but over the past I've come to realise how rubbish that statement is and how great most of his stuff is. I've seen him twice in the last 18 months or so and i think he might be the only Stadium act i would go and see now. I tend to favour the aocustic stuff but my favourite album is probably the Seeger Sessions with the big band folk sound, slightly similar to what Bellowhead do, very good, i would love to see him do an album of originals utilising that style.

I am quite enjoying the new album and love the new reworking of Tom Joad.

• Upvote 2

How can you just be appreciating the Boss now?! Where have you been hiding?!

I don't know, I first really heard his stuff about the time of Tom Joad when i was a student and i really liked that album, but I never got round to actually following up on that until the last 4 or 5 years. I do think that keyboard sound on Born in the USA put me off :p

You must have disregarded this thread 7 years ago then jester1470...

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/28188-bruce-springsteen-appreciation-thread/?hl=+springsteen?st=0

I think Kirk and I became friends through this thread. Aww, it's like looking back in time at the first date with your now wife.  

One thing that I think has changed between now and then is how the Boss is viewed in the UK. The opening of the previous thread started "One of the most uncool musicians to admit to liking" which I think at the time was fairly accurate. Now it's all like "who doesn't like Springsteen"?

"Ballad of Tom Joad" = "The Ghost of Tom Joad". You're thinking of Cerys Matthews and the boy fae Space's song aboot Tom Jones...

I don't doubt I'll be back here.

You must have disregarded this thread 7 years ago then jester1470...

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/28188-bruce-springsteen-appreciation-thread/?hl=+springsteen?st=0

I think Kirk and I became friends through this thread. Aww, it's like looking back in time at the first date with your now wife.  

One thing that I think has changed between now and then is how the Boss is viewed in the UK. The opening of the previous thread started "One of the most uncool musicians to admit to liking" which I think at the time was fairly accurate. Now it's all like "who doesn't like Springsteen"?

"Ballad of Tom Joad" = "The Ghost of Tom Joad". You're thinking of Cerys Matthews and the boy fae Space's song aboot Tom Jones...

I don't doubt I'll be back here.

I wonder what's changed in the viewpoint, I had been aware of liking him since 1995 but ironically i didn't get properly into him until I was trying to show my other half that he was better that Born in the USA which she hated and ironically it led to me listening to more of his stuff as i proved my point and I became a proper fan. but I wonder why the general attitude adjustment.

Bruce is the man. When he gets it right, he's got just the right level of cheese but pretty full on amazing lyrics. Would love to see him live, can't think of any other older/stadium rock act I'd particularly want to see. 

Darkness on the Edge of Town is the only album I own, but it's incredible. One of the best LP's I've ever heard. I quite liked Nebraska too, although it's quite divisive.

Amanti on here is a Springsteen expert, he plays bass in our band, and has every single album of his I believe.