aberdeen-music

Sherlock

jester1470

I enjoyed it as always but it was definitely the weaskest series for me. Yesterday's episode was by far the strongest of the lot and I'm very excited to have Moriarty back even though I can't think how he could possibly still be alive. He's possibly my favourite thing about the show.

Really ? He's terrible, the only worse thing is their interpretation of Irene Adler. Can anyone explain how someone who is obviously  as insane and Sherlock obsessed as Moriarty was obviously meant to be could actually engineer that whole criminal network he was meant to have.

Well it's a story isn't it and for the sake of the story we just have to accept that he has a brilliant mind, the same as we do for Sherlock. And he's not portrayed as always being obsessed with Sherlock.

Well it's a story isn't it and for the sake of the story we just have to accept that he has a brilliant mind, the same as we do for Sherlock. And he's not portrayed as always being obsessed with Sherlock.

It's a story but it's also based on an original story that has a far better characterisation of the character, I can completely believe that he has a brilliant mind, just not that you can also be as completely insane as he is shown to be, if you were that insane you couldn't be capable of everything he had to do to create the worlds biggest criminal network, to be the Napoleon of crime, He basically out his whole criminal network at risk including himself with the sole purpose of goading Sherlock. he plants bombs on people to get Sherlock's attention, I would count that as pretty obsessed. If you're going to reproduce a character form the original stories, why get him so incredibly wrong. Moriarty was an academic, a professor, not a highly camp irish actor as he is portrayed in the new Sherlock.

Edited by jester1470

Maybe he is obsessed with Sherlock by that point but it's not suggested he's been like that his whole life so it wouldn't have an effect on whether he was able to create the criminal network or not. 

As for whether it's like the books or not I couldn't care. The series clearly isn't meant to be a completely faithful interpretation. However I have read comments from other fans of the books who think that the show in general keeps to the spirit of the original stories. 

Maybe he is obsessed with Sherlock by that point but it's not suggested he's been like that his whole life so it wouldn't have an effect on whether he was able to create the criminal network or not. 

As for whether it's like the books or not I couldn't care. The series clearly isn't meant to be a completely faithful interpretation. However I have read comments from other fans of the books who think that the show in general keeps to the spirit of the original stories. 

But why would you spend your whole life creating a massively secretive clandestine criminal network only to then throw yourself into the open just to get to Holmes, it makes no sense for someone so secretive and who Holmes didn't even know was behind every major crime for years would suddenly expose himself so publicly like that. As i said i don't mind if the character made any sense and he just didn't.

The character of Sherlock is pretty similar, Watson is similar, and the feeling of many of the adventures is similar but the characterisation of Irene Adler and Moriarty are well off, i don't know anyone who is familiar with the books who think that the Moriarty character is even close to being a similar character. The show does keep to the spirit, those 2 bits of characterisation are wildly different - whereas the Charles Augustus Mangunsson character in this series was a brilliantly based contrivance from the original stories, it worked on every level as an update and to have him as a newspaper owner was a piece of genius. I wouldn't be pissed off about the Moriarty characterisation if it wasn't that in general everything else is pretty damn good. For example i can put up with the wildness of the Moriarty character in Elementary far better than in Sherlock because even though the backstory etc is so incredibly different the character does have some of the same characteristics.

That's fair but as I say I'm not watching it from that point of view. Regarding why Moriarty put himself out in the open I accepted and like the reason given in the show. Simply that he was bored. He was bored and wanted some fun by testing himself against Sherlock who he was hoping would be a challenge to him. 

I don't know whether most fans of the show would agree with you or with me but I'm happy anyway that they went this route with the character. I think he and the actor are great. Steals every scene he's in. Probably one of my all time favourite tv villains.