aberdeen-music

Coffee Wankers

Lemonade

Yeah, the Nespresso pods (some of them anyway) are okay, and far better than a lot of the 'cheap' non-Nespresso-branded alternatives that also fit the machine.

Wholeheartedly agree that freshly ground beans cannot be beaten and will still occasionally do this if I'm feeling particularly sexy of a Sunday morning. Got a Krups grinder for my Christmas a few years back and it's decent.

2 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Daft question, but beans presumably stay fresh for a decent length of time until ground - yes?

I find that to be the case, yes. The moisture is inside the bean, and isn't really released until it is ground. Though will probably dry out naturally, but I'd guess it's over a much longer period of time.

I've got beans I got for Christmas that are still excellent when ground now. I do keep them in an airtight canister as well, though I have no idea if that makes a difference.

5 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I find that to be the case, yes. The moisture is inside the bean, and isn't really released until it is ground. Though will probably dry out naturally, but I'd guess it's over a much longer period of time.

I've got beans I got for Christmas that are still excellent when ground now. I do keep them in an airtight canister as well, though I have no idea if that makes a difference.

Ta.

I Was looking at grinders this morning but had to take a step back. Went from Krups to Cuisinart to some fucking pro jobby that was £150 on Ebay with 13 bids and 4 days to go.

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Bought a grinder today. Will report back after tomorrow's breakfast. 

Mega. The difference between a fresh grind and store-bought grounds is huge. As long as you're getting a good bean.

I got a kilogram of MacBeans Tiger Stripes in the post this morning. I've tried just about every coffee roasting shop in Bath, Bristol, Wells and Glastonbury in the last year, and nothing comes close to MacBeans. Specifically the Tiger Stripe roast. Phwoar.

11 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Mega. The difference between a fresh grind and store-bought grounds is huge. As long as you're getting a good bean.

I got a kilogram of MacBeans Tiger Stripes in the post this morning. I've tried just about every coffee roasting shop in Bath, Bristol, Wells and Glastonbury in the last year, and nothing comes close to MacBeans. Specifically the Tiger Stripe roast. Phwoar.

Tried it this morning. I don't have the coffee vocabulary to describe the difference between my normal brew and this but it tasted much fresher. The flavour was more alive somehow. Less murky and dull. More flavours, more going on. Such a nice cup of coffee.  The beans were a Tesco Finest bag. I bought the grinder at 9pm last night and Tesco was the only place to get beans at that time of night. Fucking nice though. Tesco Finest coffees are really decent in my experience. Will probably still use my Tassimo in the mornings for convenience but weekends will be all about the grinder. 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 1

Once you grind, you never... er... not grind.

You'll walk past the grounds in the supermarket, and turn your nose up with elite superiority, and snigger loudly at the PEASANTS buying beans that were ground a fortnight ago and are already dried up.

I keep meaning to do a grind before I go to bed on a Friday/Saturday. I always regret it, as I'm usually up early and my missus isn't, and my grinder sounds like I'm wielding a rusty strimmer on a speedboat that rumbles through the foundations.

Have you had any yet? Report back when you do 

I did asimilar thing, but with a different company. Really didn't like what they were sending me. It was light roasts, the beans were kind of an orange colour, and they just didn't brew in the water at all. Got a different bean every fortnight but they all looked and smelled the same. Stopped it after 6 weeks. Most of it went in the bin.

Quickly reverted back to MacBeans. Fucking love those guys. I just can't find anything better than what they do.

Ditch (or supplement) the subscription and get yourself a MacBeans order.

• 1 month later...

Latest coffee news. 

Bought an Aeropress. Makes nice coffee. 

Currently enjoying Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. 

I got a tip a few weeks ago from a mate, when you get an exceptionally strong / bitter cup of coffee, add a pinch of salt to it. Thought he was talking pish but I got a horror strong cup of coffee in a cafe today (double shot of espresso in an Americano about the size of a teacup)  and tried it out, completely neutralised the bitterness, really brought out the flavours of the coffee and made it really smooth. Turned in to one of the best cups of coffee I've had in ages. Don't know the science behind it but it worked. Give it a try. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Was mindlessly drudging through Amazons daily top deals and saw coffee bags.... Fucking coffee bags?!

Can someone please confirm that this is as attrocious a concept as I am imagining it to be?

If it's the thing I'm thinking of (called "pods") it's to get a faux-espresso coffee fast and cheaper (and without the mess of any other coffee). Gets in a machine that blasts/drips through it, and afterwards you throw the bag away, rather scooping out a load of particles.

55 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

If it's the thing I'm thinking of (called "pods") it's to get a faux-espresso coffee fast and cheaper (and without the mess of any other coffee). Gets in a machine that blasts/drips through it, and afterwards you throw the bag away, rather scooping out a load of particles.

Nope it's bags for coffee or with coffee in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cafe-Express-Coffee-Filter-Bags/dp/B006ZYEJY8/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1505293126&sr=1-5&keywords=coffee+bags

9 hours ago, scottyboy said:

That's Nespresso / Tassimo.

22 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Was mindlessly drudging through Amazons daily top deals and saw coffee bags.... Fucking coffee bags?!

Can someone please confirm that this is as attrocious a concept as I am imagining it to be?

I got a free sample of one with my shopping a month or so back.

The result was weak. It didn't seem like it had enough coffee in it to make a full mug. You'd probably need two to make a decent cup.

• 2 months later...

I hate that so many places make Americanos so strong that they just taste horrible and bitter and strong  and make you wince. I usually have to order lattes and cappuccino when I'm out, which I don't really like buy the Americanos are just awful. Always made with such dark roast beans too. I like to be able to pick out the flavours in my coffee. I've been enjoying my Aeropress lately. I've found a technique that really works for me and produces beautiful full-bodied coffee with so many nuances of flavour. A colleague made fun of me this morning for saying my coffee tasted like hot, buttered roast. It did. I'm not even sorry. I had a bag of Lavazza Oro pre-ground last week, in my French press it just tasted like generic dark roast coffee, out of the Aeropress it was dripping with caramel flavour and so sweet. It reminded me of those Reisen chews. After a so so start with the Aeropress I've decided it's the boy. Explore different techniques and find one that works for you. 

I'm getting a burr grinder for Christmas too, to replace my blade grinder. It should grind more evenly, and the blade grinder heats up with the friction and affects the taste of the coffee. 

Edited by Lemonade

20 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

I hate that so many places make Americanos so strong that they just taste horrible and bitter and strong  and make you wince. I usually have to order lattes and cappuccino when I'm out, which I don't really like buy the Americanos are just awful. Always made with such dark roast beans too. I like to be able to pick out the flavours in my coffee. I've been enjoying my Aeropress lately. I've found a technique that really works for me and produces beautiful full-bodied coffee with so many nuances of flavour. A colleague made fun of me this morning for saying my coffee tasted like hot, buttered roast. It did. I'm not even sorry. I had a bag of Lavazza Oro pre-ground last week, in my French press it just tasted like generic dark roast coffee, out of the Aeropress it was dripping with caramel flavour and so sweet. It reminded me of those Reisen chews. After a so so start with the Aeropress I've decided it's the boy. Explore different techniques and find one that works for you. 

I'm getting a burr grinder for Christmas too, to replace my blade grinder. It should grind more evenly, and the blade grinder heats up with the friction and affects the taste of the coffee. 

It wasn't Lavazza Oro, it was Lavazza Cereja Passita. Omg, noob.