aberdeen-music

Coffee Wankers

Lemonade

• 1 month later...

We have a hot water tap at work meant for making tea and coffee so you don't have to wait for a kettle to boil, the difference I notice between using that to make my coffee and using boiling water from the kettle is night and day. Using the hot water it tastes muddy and dull, its like you need boiling water to unlock all the delicious zesty flavours. I never realised this was a thing. 

I also went back to my old drip machine this week having been used to the French press for so long. Same coffee, completely different taste. Not as strong as the press, but bursting with flavour. 

Coffee eh?

Wouldn't recommend using completely boiling water as it'll burn the grounds. Best to let the kettle settle for a minute or two. Unless you prefer the burnt taste, in which case, fire on. Coffee.

Yeah maybe. I don't know how hot that hot tap is but it's nowhere near boiling. You can almost stick your finger in it. Somewhere between that and boiling would be the optimum.

Yup. Coffee.

• 2 years later...

I mostly use a cafetiere these days. I have one at work and one at home so I use it most days. Heat the cafetiere first with boiling water, empty out, 2 dessert spoons of coffee to the hot cafetiere, add hot water (not boiling), little stir, put the plunger in, depress about an inch, let it sit for 5 minutes, plunge the rest of the way. Pour, add cold milk. 

I've tried a few different contraptions in the last few years, and I still find just a regular cafetiere the best brew.

Grind as you use. Always. The difference between freshly ground and pre-packed coffee grounds that have probably been ground for weeks before you use it is CRAZY.

I've moved 500 miles south, but I still buy my beans mailorder from MacBeans. That place is the bomb.

29 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

I was thinking of buying a grinder. I bought a reasonably pricy bag of ground coffee today in Tesco and I thought, I wonder how long it's been since that was ground? Even though it's sealed, it can't be that fresh. 

Ground coffee dries out super fast, even when air-tight. I hear about people putting coffee grounds in the freezer, to keep the moisture within the grounds. I've never done it before so I can't comments on how successful it is. Supermarket bought coffee grounds are already dried out, guaranteed.

I grind with this, got it recently:
https://www.johnlewis.com/krups-gvx2-expert-coffee-grinder/p230843325?sku=230843325&s_kwcid=2dx92700016967765382&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CKfA6emnrNMCFUwq0wodtjIGbw&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's great. Loud as fuck though, but I like being able to adjust the coarseness settings, then just press go. I can fill the kettle and clean out the cafetiere whilst it grinds.

Before I got that, I used this for years:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9349755?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|cid:199888833|agid:17470845513|tid:aud-158518126633:pla-92280430713|crid:74692318713|nw:g|rnd:2564490505197945361|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CPmXsYiorNMCFQmdGwodK90H-w

Half the price, but you can't adjust the grind. You just grind for longer if you want it finer. The compartment was pretty much the perfect amount for a cafetiere to make two large mugs of coffee though. Built like a tank, and much quieter, but you have to stand and hold the button down.

Stop thinking and start grinding.

Edited by Soda Jerk
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

With age I got lazier and wealthier so just use a Nespresso now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a Tassimo I use on weekday mornings. It doesn't taste great but the lure of 30 second coffee at 7.30 in the morning when I'm rushing around wins out, and I make a decent brew when I get to work anyway. Tbf some of the Americano and Espresso pods are OK (Jacobs and Costa are drinkable at least) although the various lattes and cappuccinos all with UHT milk pods are uniformly dreadful.