aberdeen-music

Coffee Wankers

Lemonade

Buy a better coffee maker. A good one would have a temperature setting for the hot plate. That or decant it into a thermos.

Yeah the thought of it being a cheap coffee maker did occur to me. I also pondered whether decanting it into a stainless steel jug instead of glass would make a difference. I hate the thermos idea though. It always affects the taste of everything.

Yeah the thought of it being a cheap coffee maker did occur to me. I also pondered whether decanting it into a stainless steel jug instead of glass would make a difference. I hate the thermos idea though. It always affects the taste of everything.

Get a better thermos too, and wash it about 5 times before using it, otherwise your coffee will taste like coins. A good thermos, after being washed, shouldn't affect the taste.

Edited by Joda Serk

Get a better thermos too, and wash it about 5 times before using it, otherwise your coffee will taste like coins. A good thermos, after being washed, shouldn't affect the taste.

When I was a kid me and my dad used to go bird watching every weekend in the countryside. We'd spend entire days sitting in hides on nature reserves which meant taking a packed lunch and he'd always have a huge thermos full of tea. Big plastic thing and you drank out of the little plastic cup lid, no matter what drink you put in it it tasted like plastic. Even soup. I'm sure flasks have improved exponentially over the past 25 years but I've never gotten over my prejudice of them for ruining my tea every weekend in the 80s.

I understand you not trusting technological advances. That's for young people. I still don't like using toasters, after ours used to always set on fire after about 6 months. Toast under the grill.

I had a fantastic old toaster when I was a student, "borrowed" it from my folks.  It used to eject the toast out sideways at an angle, sometimes it even launched the toast completely out of itself if it was in a mood to do so.  Made bloody good toast an a'.

That's the guy!

360_82c64480391180b81b438eb1e4928a9f.jpg

Toast's ready, duck!

Edited by neepheid

• 3 weeks later...

I got a new one for Xmas. It's John fucking Lewis. So sturdy. A tank could run over it, with coffee inside, and the coffee would be fine. As would the unit itself. Immovable. The George Elokobi of cafetieres.

The technique depends on the coffee grounds (and your tastes). Some recommend an amount to use on the pack, depending on the roast and the strength, but I always just fill up my bean grinder until it's full, as it seems to be the perfect amount of beans for a cup for me and the missus, or a giant cup just for me if the missus isn't game.

Get yourself down to MacBeans, and get the biggest bag they have of TIGER STRIPE. Great bean. My favourite. 

Best way is to just experiment with ground quantities to suit your taste. I always let it brew for a full 5 minutes too.

• Upvote 2

I pour some hot water in to coat the inside of the pot and pour it out before I put in the grounds. I have no idea why, I just got told to it the first time I used one and I have done it since. And the water should be a bit cooler than boiling when you pour it onto the grounds. I leave it to brew while I go for a shower, which works out as the right amount of time for me.

I give it a wee swirl of hot water prior to firing the grounds in too now you mention it.  My dad told me to do that, so it's probably right.  I suppose it makes sure there's no rancid dishwater taste in there so you don't go spoiling your fine ass brew.

Edited by Old Gold

Coffee chat! yas!

I've heard the same thing as Surfer, Although slightly different... pour enough water in to let the coffee swell a bit (about 4 or 5 tablespoons), leave it for a mintie, then add the rest. Also, don't let the water fully boil (or let it cool a bit) otherwise the coffee gets a bit of a burnt taste.

That or just figure out yourself how you like it... it's a fucking drink.

I got one of these the other week and it's pretty much changed my life.

VN-coffee1.jpg

Vietnamese coffee made with a dod of condensed milk at the bottom of the glass. Seriously good way to drink coffee.

This video explains it (backed by an ace wee tune):

• Upvote 2

I use my French press almost every day. Love it. There's one at work as well but everyone at my work seems to prefer really weak coffee and I don't care for it. I like a good strong cuppa. One dessert spoon per cup, 2 per mug. Pretty standard I thought. My boss puts in 3 teaspoons for the whole 9 cup press. Teaspoons! It's like slightly brown water. Undrinkable.

I use my French press almost every day. Love it. There's one at work as well but everyone at my work seems to prefer really weak coffee and I don't care for it. I like a good strong cuppa. One dessert spoon per cup, 2 per mug. Pretty standard I thought. My boss puts in 3 teaspoons for the whole 9 cup press. Teaspoons! It's like slightly brown water. Undrinkable.

You should get yourself one of these for work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartcafe-Cafetiere-Hot-Mug-Red/dp/B0007MTNH2