aberdeen-music

New Aberdeen band

It was the underlying attitude and dismissive nature of his response.

Also, I've never responded like that when someone has criticised my work when discussing the Needleman recordings so I completely disagree.

For what it's worth I don't mind the recordings and they're good for what they are but they are definitely missing something, need some work and aren't mixed to my tastes. What they do get across though are the songs, which once again aren't to my tastes, but certainly don't do them a disservice.

I didn't intend to have a dismissive tone if it came across that way. Just that for a demo recording it served its purpose well and that I didn't agree with a lot of what he was saying, because it was untrue.

So because of this the guitars are loud to fill in more space in the mix. They're panned too, which may give a loud feel to the whole thing.

Yep, I get this, we do the same with pulling out certain frequencies to get the best out of our limited recording resources.  Joe is spot on with what he says above.  I think additionally to not sounding completely crap though, it actually retains the energy of the song, which is important and isn't always the easiest thing to achieve. 

I didn't intend to have a dismissive tone if it came across that way. Just that for a demo recording it served its purpose well and that I didn't agree with a lot of what he was saying, because it was untrue.

All he said was that they were rough and he thought there was a guitar clipping (is it really a big deal if it is/isn't?), it really didn't warrant the response it got especially seen as though there was a lot of praise in there as well.

All he said was that they were rough and he thought there was a guitar clipping (is it really a big deal if it is/isn't?), it really didn't warrant the response it got especially seen as though there was a lot of praise in there as well.

He gave feedback on the track and I explained why I thought what he said was wrong. He said it was "reaaaaalllllllyyyyy rouuughhhh" and explained why he thought it was. Then I took on board what he said and detailed the process I went through in the recording and why what he said wasn't entirely correct. 

I don't understand how it didn't warrant a response?

He gave feedback on the track and I explained why I thought what he said was wrong. He said it was "reaaaaalllllllyyyyy rouuughhhh" and explained why he thought it was. Then I took on board what he said and detailed the process I went through in the recording and why what he said wasn't entirely correct. 

I don't understand how it didn't warrant a response?

But it does sound really rough, it's a demo. You didn't take it on board, you wrote an essay dictating why he was wrong (which incidentally he isn't, it's an opinion).

I didn't say it didn't warrant a response, I said it didn't warrant the response it got.

But it does sound really rough, it's a demo. You didn't take it on board, you wrote an essay dictating why he was wrong (which incidentally he isn't, it's an opinion).

I didn't say it didn't warrant a response, I said it didn't warrant the response it got.

Okay, I understand what you are getting at now. I explained the process of the recording and why the guitars may have sounded distorted or clipped, but they weren't.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

"Rough" is a very subjective description of production, so it can be argued either way that it is or it isn't. Regardless, it's one persons opinion. It probably depends on the kind of music you listen to as well. It's rough compared to The Black Album. I mostly listen to punk rock bands that sound like they recorded their albums in a bathroom, so it doesn't really sound that rough to me. I've definitely heard much worse recording qualities on albums that have been released by labels, so for something that is just a "hey guys, we're new. Listen to us" demo, it's pretty sharp.

Sounds like clipping to me, just compressed; even if it's technically not, what Joda Serk said - the distortion sounds bad.

Like I said earlier we appreciate that you've taken some time out to listen to the song because we are writing music because we love music, as cliched as it sounds. 

I think everything here got blown out of proportion.

We love the loud brash guitars though, so we won't be changing that.

Recordings won't be to everyone's tastes. I personally couldn't care less if there is one, two or five mics on the drums or if the guitars are clipping. It's just a song on the Internet. Maybe come see us play and these things won't be an issue. Also, I am definitely not john bonham but I do want a mansion and I do appreciate that person that said something about neutral milk hotel.

• Upvote 1