aberdeen-music

New Aberdeen band

If you've just started the band then you're gonna be aace! Bit of a cross between The Rapture and Longpigs, love the mad vocals but you could do with a better recording. I can help you out with a cheap or possibly free recording if you're keen?

Good work, I'll look forward to the next track you offer!

It is totally awesome that people are still listening to this, thank you all for the feedback.

If any of you want to book us for a gig, or a house party, maybe a big family occasion like a wedding or intervention, then hit us up at www.facebook.com/lenindeathmask. 

There'll be another tune up in a coupla days.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had another listen (or 3) to American Irony; when I first heard it I wrote it off as generic indie, but it's more endearing after giving it a chance. On the one hand, it is reaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyyyy rough: there's a searing clip on the guitars and Nefarious Barney Plough (forgot who's singing on this one) sounds like he's simultaneously gargling whisky at a few points. But the sunny harmonies give it a pleasant incongruousness and catchy-ness that set it apart. The ooh-oohs are particularly nice, reminds me strongly of another track I used to like but cant recall (think it's Jesse Malin's The Heat, not sure...) right now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had another listen (or 3) to American Irony; when I first heard it I wrote it off as generic indie, but it's more endearing after giving it a chance. On the one hand, it is reaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyyyy rough: there's a searing clip on the guitars and Nefarious Barney Plough (forgot who's singing on this one) sounds like he's simultaneously gargling whisky at a few points. But the sunny harmonies give it a pleasant incongruousness and catchy-ness that set it apart. The ooh-oohs are particularly nice, reminds me strongly of another track I used to like but cant recall (think it's Jesse Malin's The Heat, not sure...) right now. 

Thanks for listening, man. You should come down tonight and we can show you we aren't generic indie.

Home demo with 2 mics. I think it sounds awesome so we won't be changing our recording process any time soon. We jam econo.

Thanks for the feedback dude!

I appreciate that you've taken the time to listen to the recording and understand fully that this is a forum for feedback, but I'm pretty sure it was stated before that this was a demo recorded with 2 mics. The drum kit was miced using one mic and I think it does well to capture a true balance between each part of the drumkit. You can hear the kicks, the snare, the toms, the hi-hats, the cymbals, without any of them being over powering or quiet. In that respect being the person who recorded everything I think we did well with the limited resources we had.

The guitars aren't at any point clipping. The guitars are EQ'd such that they drop out some of the lower frequencies so that the bass can be heard, rather than to muddy it up. I stuck a limiter on the guitars and vocals so that they didn't clip also. I wanted to create a good, professional recording with the limited resources we had and I think we did a pretty good job.

You've obviously got your own opinion, which is great, and this forum is for feedback and we appreciate that, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on everything apart from the song being great.

I appreciate that you've taken the time to listen to the recording and understand fully that this is a forum for feedback, but I'm pretty sure it was stated before that this was a demo recorded with 2 mics. The drum kit was miced using one mic and I think it does well to capture a true balance between each part of the drumkit. You can hear the kicks, the snare, the toms, the hi-hats, the cymbals, without any of them being over powering or quiet. In that respect being the person who recorded everything I think we did well with the limited resources we had.

The guitars aren't at any point clipping. The guitars are EQ'd such that they drop out some of the lower frequencies so that the bass can be heard, rather than to muddy it up. I stuck a limiter on the guitars and vocals so that they didn't clip also. I wanted to create a good, professional recording with the limited resources we had and I think we did a pretty good job.

You've obviously got your own opinion, which is great, and this forum is for feedback and we appreciate that, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on everything apart from the song being great.

You're probably going to have to learn to be a little less touchy about when people give feedback on your work.

• Upvote 6

I really don't see how explaining our recording process, whilst being perfectly civil and polite, is touchy. If someone says with assertiveness something is happening on the track (clipping) that it clearly isn't, I think it's more than fair the guy who recorded it explains what he did. I'm sure you'd be the same with any Needleman recordings, Phil. 

I think at the very least, you should put more than one microphone on the drums.

Yeah, I would have liked to but it was just me recording Tam at the time, and we only had one condenser mic. But yeah, ideally I'd like to have more mics but for the purposes of the demo I think it worked.

Edited by amanti

I really don't see how explaining our recording process, whilst being perfectly civil and polite, is touchy. If someone says with assertiveness something is happening on the track (clipping) that it clearly isn't, I think it's more than fair the guy who recorded it explains what he did. I'm sure you'd be the same with any Needleman recordings, Phil. 

It was the underlying attitude and dismissive nature of his response.

Also, I've never responded like that when someone has criticised my work when discussing the Needleman recordings so I completely disagree.

For what it's worth I don't mind the recordings and they're good for what they are but they are definitely missing something, need some work and aren't mixed to my tastes. What they do get across though are the songs, which once again aren't to my tastes, but certainly don't do them a disservice.

I like the sound of the drums. It's surprising there's only one mic there. Everything sounds relatively clear on the kit. Clear enough for a demo anyway, and they have a 'clunky' endearment about them.

The guitar sounds quite maxed out and compressed. Maybe it isn't actually clipping, but it has a tone which often sounds like it is. But again, I kinda dig that. It's quite a Husker Du sounding guitar tone.

Really though, judging the recording quality of a demo - which hasn't even been properly released, and is simply a stream for people to gauge a bit of interest - is hugely redundant. It's a demo innit. If it had been put out on a CD for people to buy, then it becomes fair game to be critical of the recording. But it's a demo. It's not some hugely distorted mobile phone recording either. It's clear enough to be able to hear what the band are trying to do, which is all that matters with these tracks.

• Upvote 1

I like the sound of the drums. It's surprising there's only one mic there. Everything sounds relatively clear on the kit. Clear enough for a demo anyway, and they have a 'clunky' endearment about them.

The guitar sounds quite maxed out and compressed. Maybe it isn't actually clipping, but it has a tone which often sounds like it is. But again, I kinda dig that. It's quite a Husker Du sounding guitar tone.

Really though, judging the recording quality of a demo - which hasn't even been properly released, and is simply a stream for people to gauge a bit of interest - is hugely redundant. It's a demo innit. If it had been put out on a CD for people to buy, then it becomes fair game to be critical of the recording. But it's a demo. It's not some hugely distorted mobile phone recording either. It's clear enough to be able to hear what the band are trying to do, which is all that matters with these tracks.

Yeah, I wanted the recording to sound big, and as authentic to the live sound as possible. So because of this the guitars are loud to fill in more space in the mix. They're panned too, which may give a loud feel to the whole thing.

It's great there's a wee debate going on about this now.