aberdeen-music

The improve your musicianship thread 2014

Chris

Well 4 weeks into the SCaT session class and I feel like I've improved considerably compared to the first week. I've been practicing more than any time since I moved out of the parental home. I'm now pretty comfortable learning tunes from sheet music (in the first position) and am much quicker learning the parts by ear in the class. Going to try and pick up a couple of books of fiddle tunes at the weekend to give me some more sheet music to learn from.

One thing I've really noticed though is that sitting in a class with 7 fiddlers, some of whom come from a classical background, really shows up the deficiencies in bits of my technique. Lots to work on! 

Did a rough mobile recording of one of the tunes we've been working on in the class. A waltz by Hamish Napier - Minerva Street:

I was hoping for a waltz verison of Minerva by Deftones.

Sounding good though!

• Upvote 1

Hmmm

https://www.jellynote.com/en/sheet-music-tabs/deftones/minerva/504a14f9d2235a3ff94aded5#tabs:%23score_A

Never seen that Jelly Note site before. Looks brilliant.  Not sure how they can get away presenting the sheet music in full like that.  Tab has always been a grey area but figured tab sites that survived the late 90s copyright cull only existed because they weren't as a good a product as the official books the labels and publishers were putting out. 

• 1 month later...

Got pointed towards another cool tool:

http://scorecloud.com/

This app will take a simple melody line and transcribe it for you into notation.  Just play your instrument and the app will create the score as it goes.  That's the theory anyway, not tried it myself yet but might give it a bash tonight.

How's everyone getting on with their goals 3 months into the year?

I can now sight read notation very slowly on the mandolin, though I still have trouble if a passage is particularly busy.  The Scottish Culture & Traditions session class gave me a LOT of tunes to learn in a short space of time and really helped spur me on. Now I need to find a good session to go to and keep learning new tunes.

How's everyone getting on with their goals 3 months into the year?

3 songs now contributed and mostly finished.  One idea came about from some music being blared at customers at a far too trendy for me clothes shop.  I can't stand that, but I heard a chord sequence somewhere in there that had me humming it all the way home until I could get to the computer and 1) figure out what it was and 2) note it down.  It grew into a song, mostly because I had a bass riff noted down which amazingly happened to be in the same key.  Bonus!  Basis for verse plus basis for chorus == song.  Just had to add a change middle bit so it wasn't the same all the way through and some words.  Done.

3 songs out of 11, not bad for starters.  1 in the pipeline, and this time I'm actually scoring out what I'd like the horns to (kinda) do instead of leaving them to it.

I finally got a new tuner and I can read most musical notation and I'm pretty damn proud, I've learned chords in trios more than full chords which has been helpful and developed my learning. I'm going to need to add one more goal. When playing electric and picking I tend to always do down strokes and never any up strokes which slowed me down so my goal is to sort that

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd give this a wee bump up for some advice and tips from some of you hopefully.

Fingerpicking... I've never spent the time to get to grips with it. Can any of you offer some tips, techniques practice drills, songs to start with etc to help improve. I did think about trying to find a tutor to learn from but I'd rather give it a concentrated effort myself first.

Cheers in advance for your suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a trombone player and this year I've started working through my grades for practical and theory - sat grade 5 theory last saturday and got my grade 5 practical on Thursday. I play at a higher level than grade 5 but that's the highest you can sit without the grade 5 theory. Hopefully I can pass both and move on up to grade 6 (although I don't intend doing any more theory at the moment - stressful enough having to study again!)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Went for my first guitar lesson in 25 years last night.

Learned more in half an hour than I have trying to get to grips with theory on my own all year.

I clearly belong in the Derek Zoolander school for kids that can't read good and want to do other things good too........