aberdeen-music

Celebrity Dead Pool 2014

Lemonade

Its no laughing matter, I think comments like that could have you kicked off, even if its a personal joke with someone you know. 

xx

Yeah, you're right. An internet forum where we make jokes about recent celebrity deaths is no place for a flippant race-related remark. I'll take a good hard look at my life and evaluate my choices.

xx

• Upvote 3

Deadzel Washington isn't racist. 

Cool man, talk to you in a bit. 

Right, so I can make a joke about the fact that he's dead (he's not dead, but that doesn't matter - we're talking about any black celebrity here) but not about the fact that he's black?

What about when Nelson Mandela died and people were posting Morgan Freeman pics? Was that racist?

xx

Being up in arms about a joke featuring black people while ignoring the EXACT same joke about midgets - kinda hypocritical.........

To be fair, Alk was making fun of me for mixing up two different people, and I was then making fun of how that stereotype is typically applied to a completely different group. But now I'm enjoying learning more about what black people are/are not offended by.

xx

EDIT: Actually, I did get Cuba Gooding Jr and Don Cheadle mixed up today too, maybe I AM a racist??

EDIT EDIT: Fuck sake, no, it was Terrence Howard and CBJ. So I'm definitely racist. I thought CBJ played Rhodey in the first Iron Man movie.

Edited by Stroopy121

I'm pretty chill. 

I don't think you should make "all black people look the same" jokes on here, even though it was clearly a joke.  It perpetuates the culture of casual, joking racism that does nothing to solve the huge problem.  I know Stroopy isn't actually racist but that's besides the point. 

Midgets should not be discriminated either.  Well done colb.  You're a real smart guy. 

I have nothing else to add. 

For me the joke was about the stereotype, not black people (or midgets). I think that anyone looking at it rationally would struggle to call it racist or discriminatory (or funny), but it's hard to look at racism rationally, because for sensible adults it's completely baffling how you could hate someone having a different skin colour - so we get to here when we probably didn't have to.

My point is that if you're gonna get upset about perceived discrimination - get upset about the WHOLE of discrimination. Picking and choosing is a waste of time.

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, CBJ is Cuba Gooding Jr.

Honestly, I agree with Moose for the most part. Humour that plays on race, even if it's not necessarily "racist" humour, can give racists a feeling of acceptance. Same goes for rape jokes, "women belong in the kitchen" jokes, or anything like that.

However, I do also believe that it can be perfectly acceptable to, in certain circumstances, to make fun of the stereotypes. That's all I was doing (or at least trying to do).

Xx

Edit: to be clear - I think it's ok to mock the stereotypes themselves, not mock the people targeted by those stereotypes.

Edited by Stroopy121