aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Oedo 808

Should Aberdeen City Council have more powers?

NO. JUST NO.

Excellent argument.

My department is pushing for more authority, but there's zero chance it will be granted. There are too many rogues in private housing, and no authority to make an example of anyone. Landlords break the law all the time, the police say it's a civil matter and to go to the council, we say we have no authority to get involved. It's a vicious circle. The police just can't be arsed doing what they should be doing, and whilst we are pushing hard to be able to get involved and enforce legislation, we simply don't have the authority to do so.

I can't speak for all departments, but the one I work for certainly needs it, since those who have the authority to enforce the law aren't doing so.

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 2

I invite you to answer the question I posed, rather than stalling. Here it is again, for your convenience; why are you calling for more powers for Holyrood and not for ACC?

I'm curious about this, what powers do you believe the ACC needs that it doesn't currently have...?

My department is pushing for more authority, but there's zero chance it will be granted. There are too many rogues in private housing, and no authority to make an example of anyone. Landlords break the law all the time, the police say it's a civil matter and to go to the council, we say we have no authority to get involved. It's a vicious circle. The police just can't be arsed doing what they should be doing, and whilst we are pushing hard to be able to get involved and enforce legislation, we simply don't have the authority to do so.

I can't speak for all departments, but the one I work for certainly needs it, since those who have the authority to enforce the law aren't doing so.

That's interesting.

Obviously there have been changes to tenancy law in the last few years i.e. independent tenant deposit schemes to protect tenant's deposits and the introduction of mandatory tenant information packs.

Is it nuisance and disturbance cases that you are finding the law and its enforcement most ineffectual or is it a broad spectrum of complaints?

Nuisance and disturbance cases are actually dealt with by the Police mostly. For us, it's primarily landlords being bad apples which is the biggest concern, and because the police aren't doing what the Scottish Government state is their responsibility, landlords continue to be deposit-thieving, property-neglecting robbers.

The tenancy deposit schemes, and the enforcement of the tolerable standard are both operated by the Scottish Government, and we firmly believe that these powers should both be delegated to the local authorities in Scotland. Despite it being 'the law' to put deposits into the deposit schemes, if a landlord doesn't, who enforces it? As it stands, nobody, and it's up to the private tenant who is being ripped off by rogue landlords to take their own legal action. Alot of which can't afford to do so, or simply don't want the hassle.

If a private tenant reports to their landlord that their flat is mouldy, or that their boiler is knackered, but the landlord doesn't take action, then they have to go to the Scottish Government, for the PRHP to enforce, which can take months and months. It's usually 6 months before the PRHP even inspect the issue. The Police, Citizens Advice and solicitors will advise tenants to go to the council about it, but the council have no authority to step in. The only thing we can enforce is that landlords are registered. We can impose fines and even ensure that no rent is paid until a registration has been made, but outside of that, the council are powerless, the police aren't bothered, and the government don't really act with much urgency for cases outwith Glasgow and Edinburgh. We have a plentiful pool of private housing officers who could be doing this more rapidly than the government do, but there's no chance us, and other local authorities, will be granted the power to do so.

Private renting in Aberdeen (and elsewhere I'm sure) is a total minefield, and the one who is primed to get ripped off is the tenant. It's all well and good the government putting laws in place to protect tenants, but there's alot of buck-passing when it comes to actually doing anything about it when landlords are scamming as many people as they can get away with. We have the manpower to effectually lay the smack down, but the man won't let us.

yes it was a dickish remark at first but really its a equal sided arguement the government is trying their best to help everyone but usually its all down to money, so really it wouldnt make any difference if the council had more powers anyway the council aint exactly the sharpest tools in the box just look at their plans for UTC, im not really wanting to get involved in this much but i really think it should be the same

Be good if the education department had enough money to teach you how to write. And some books for you to read so you'd have a tiny bit of a clue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Be good if the education department had enough money to teach you how to write. And some books for you to read so you'd have a tiny bit of a clue.

Hey, give YoungA a few years and he'll have a history degree and be correcting Dave on the finer points of Conservative Party yesteryear. (/in-joke... hopefully)

On-topic: I haven't read it yet, but I was recently intrigued by this: http://benjaminbarber.org/books/if-mayors-ruled-the-world/ . Perhaps not exactly applicable to ACC but broadly the same idea. And more in reply to OldGold's comment in the other thread, this was a topic discussed in an academic seminar I was in recently, and the point was made that a few decades ago (Einstein, early years of the UN, I guess) that the all-the-rage ideas of left-leaning liberals were towards the complete opposite: world government. Interesting that these days it's more about local units of power/governance. Not entirely sure what I'm for, probably a mix of small, local units within a broader federal superstate structure (Barber, above, apparently does't like the EU; I'd disagree).

• Upvote 1

No need to be cunty to a 15 year old kid. Hope it made you feel better about yourself.

• Upvote 4

No need to be cunty to a 15 year old kid. Hope it made you feel better about yourself.

Knowing there's someone out there protecting people like Young A from mild criticism on the interwebs makes me feel a whole lot better.

• Upvote 1

Be good if the education department had enough money to teach you how to write. And some books for you toread so you'd have a tiny bit of a clue.

It would be great if the education was nearly as good as this instead of getting teachers to spend time

ticking boxes & assessing kids from nursery.

What should they be doing?

Taking responsibility for illegal evictions is the biggest one we face the repercussions of. The government state that it is a criminal offence for a landlord to illegally evict a tenant, and the police should be the ones responsible for pressing charges. They turn their heads at illegal evictions and state it's a civil matter, and simply don't get involved. Again, it's something we would prefer to be given the authority to impose fines are report to the procurator fiscal ourselves if the police aren't going to, but we just don't have the power to do so.

• Upvote 1

None. I'm not advocating any transfer of powers to ACC.

I thought that might be the case.

This thread only exists as a means of the OP avoiding a question I posed in another thread. Which I'm still waiting for an answer for.

Your question appears to be irrelevant. What is the point of your question within the frame of Scottish independence?

It's not that similar is it?  Scotland as a whole has a variety of assets that would see it function as a stand-alone country - albeit to an arguable level of success.  Aberdeen alone plainly does not.  You'd be as well try scoring points by arguing that anyone who's pro-Scottish independence would be as well making their own property an independent country.