aberdeen-music

Steve Bruce

Delboy1969

I got to know Steve really well during my time working at Drummonds. There was a peak period there when it seemed like we were one big happy family. I'm not sure how appropriate it is to express condolences on a forum like this but if there is a thread for it I feel like I should contribute.

One thing I noticed over the years of Steve doing sound was that when he was at the desk there was never a single complaint. He took his job seriously and was fucking good at it - made shit bands sound good and good bands sound great. Not only that but he was crazy talented. Turning 13 were and always will be one of the best bands in Aberdeen and I remember the first time I saw him on stage - it was like he became a different person, his cheeky chappy personality morphing into this intense and raw talent that genuinely blew me away. 

He was always at the top of my list of people to see when I went back to Aberdeen and I was looking forward to asking him out for a game of golf next summer when I'm next home because I knew he had gotten into it a lot recently.

There are a lot of people closer to him than I was of course and on saturday I had a strange sense of guilt feeling so sad when I heard the news... as if I didn't have the right to grieve because I hadn't kept in contact with him as much I wanted to in the past 2 or so years but thinking about it, he really did have a big impact on my life. I was 16 when I first met him and the people you surround yourself with at that age, particularly older folk you look up to, shape who you become later in life. Here was this dude who skated during the day, did sound at night, played in an ace band and had loads of mates... that was one cool fucker I thought and as I got to know him more and realized he was a nice guy to boot it made me want to be cool and nice too, and that's not a bad goal to have in life.

• Upvote 18

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts for what has been the most difficult time for me and our family, but time will be a healer, however, there wont be a single day that passes that I wont think of my little brother and the fun we had growing up as kids, and also the music we made in Turning 13

RIP Kid..xx

• Upvote 9