aberdeen-music

Your favourite tv live performances?

Paranoid Android

Share here your favourite performances from bands on Letterman, Jools Holland, Jimmy Fallon etc

I often really enjoy these performances and like looking out for appearances from artists I like. You can get a good mix between live energy and studio quality.

I thought there was already a thread like this but couldn't find it so mods feel free to merge this if there is one.

I've only recently been made aware of this, which instantly became a favourite.

I remember being blown away when I first saw this, it was the first time I'd ever heard anything of hers.

Good thread. The first one that came to mind was ...

I think his music is great and all but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan, however there was something about this performance that was just perfect for the format. Something to do with being so close to the 'shitty' instruments he's using (through the various close ups and cut aways) added to the juxtaposition of this glossy studio and seasick steve's 'bum' persona. Good telly.

Another one of my favourites is L7 tearing through a raucous version of "Pretend We're Dead" on The Word back in the 90s. They absolutely tear it up. Unfortunately I can't link to it directly because there is some nudity. It's on YouTube though, if you're not offended by seeing a quick flash of girl pubes. Probably showing my age but I loved that album back in the day. Still spin it from time to time. The music has aged a bit but it stands up mostly.

One more. Elvis Costello, "Radio Radio" on Saturday Night Live, 1977. If you haven't heard the story, legend has it he was invited on to the show to perform his single "Less Than Zero", a midtempo song about British politics. Concerned that an American audience wouldn't connect with the lyrics, Elvis suggested he play a different song, but was told no, play "Less Than Zero" or don't play at all. Appearing to toe the line, Elvis and his band took to the stage, played the first few bars of "Less Than Zero", then stopped and launched into an angry, frenetic version of "Radio Radio" instead. Allegedly the producer, so incensed, stood at the front of the stage and gave Elvis the finger during the entire performance. The stunt got Elvis banned from SNL for 12 years. Video here.

http://videos.mediaite.com/video/Elvis-Costello-Radio-Radio-1977

The lovable old rogue actually parodied it on SNL in 1999 with the Beastie Boys taking the place of The Attractions on that occasion. It's not nearly as good but it's still good.

http://youtu.be/JNiAuRgmApE

The album turned out to be not that good but I remember watching this Tyler the Creator performance on Jimmy Fallon, not long after the video for Yonkers was released, and the two things together got me very hyped for a little while.

Always thought this tv on the radio performace was great

• Upvote 1

Also this is an old favourite, there is something about the lighting that makes this performance for me, the blue just works so well. Plus JEW are incredible live.

This vid was taken from the old site Punkrockvids, did anyone else use that site? My old PC is full of live videos downloaded from there years ago, i used to go on once a week and just download everything i could. 

• Upvote 2

Damnit, I was going to post the TV on the Radio performance. I remember watching it a couple times and bought the album based on it.I'll have to think of a couple since the only one that immediately springs to mind is Sleater-Kinney performing 'Jumpers' on Letterman. 

Oh wait, can't believe I forgot this. 

Edited by KarmaTsunami

Does anyone remember back in say about 1998/99, there used to be a random "unplugged" (maybe more like "toned down") live show on STV/Grampian TV at a weird time - something like 11pm on a Tuesday night or something weird like that?

I distinctly remember watching Reef with my flatmates when I was in first year at uni (which was 99/00).

Some good eens so far but I'm surprised Old Grey Whistle Test hasn't popped up yet.

I got a loan of one of the OGWT dvds a while back and there are loads of stoaters. There's one great one that I can't remember the name of the band - a really early punk band. I'll see if I can google my way into finding it.

This is good 

At The Drive-In , on Jools Holland, sounding, er... really great, and definitely not out of tune, or shit.

Relationship of Command was pretty much the making of the Mars Volta. Omar decided he didn't want to be a band anymore. He just wanted to wank about independently of everyone else. What a fanny.

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 3