aberdeen-music

Car Insurance Help (write offs)

Little Green

garghhhh this is so complicated! ^ downloading  that as i type.

i'm confused the seller is saying that it was fixed by the insurer (but if i was it wouldnt have been a cat D write off?) and he doesnt have proof of the repair (ovbiously i can see it has been repaired but no proof as to where etc) (bummer coz he said he did)

but he also mentioned that after it was repaired the dvla issued a new v5c (thus confirming it was repaired) - is that true?

does any of this sound legit.....

edit: i also still dont know why cat D's occur.

if the repair cost + vot dont exceed the value of the car why would the insurer chose to write it off?

Edited by Little Green

garghhhh this is so complicated! ^ downloading  that as i type.

i'm confused the seller is saying that it was fixed by the insurer (but if i was it wouldnt have been a cat D write off?) and he doesnt have proof of the repair (ovbiously i can see it has been repaired but no proof as to where etc) (bummer coz he said he did)

but he also mentioned that after it was repaired the dvla issued a new v5c (thus confirming it was repaired) - is that true?

does any of this sound legit.....

edit: i also still dont know why cat D's occur.

if the repair cost + vot dont exceed the value of the car why would the insurer chose to write it off?

New V5 is a must, and is totally consistent with it being a write off.

The insurer would take possession of the car after its written off. Then either they would sell it on to a third party, or sell it back to the original owner for the salvage value (something of the order of 40% of the value of the car perhaps). So he would get the market value of the car less the salvage value. It would then be his responsibility to have it repaired and returned to road worthy, usually for a car that has sustained structural damage there would be a vin check to ensure its not a cut and shut (they check the Vehicle identity plate against data on file and make sure the plate hasn't been fucked with), equally the vin check might apply to all C and D cars, I'm not sure.

I'm confused as to how the insurer repaired it tbh. If they gave him money as per the above and he repaired it at a garage I can understand that, equally he could have repaired it himself?

Question for me is did he own it before it was written off, or is he a third party dude who bought a write off repaired it and is now selling it on?

doing an hpi  check just waiting for him to send me the number from the v5

he was the owner when it was involved in the accident. it was writteon off as cat D. they bought a new car during the time this one was being repaired got this one back but didnt bother putting it back on the road as dont need 2 cars (or maybe coz he found out its a bloody nightmare to insure!!)

He didnt do it himself he said it was done at a garage in culter. I asked a few times was it definately the insurance that repaired it and he said yes (i cant find a way that makes sense).

very unimpressed he doesnt have proof.

he did say a while back that there was a "carry on" with the insurance to do with the repair (hence why they bought the 2nd car as this one took ages to get repiared) maybe they werent happy it was declared cat D when it was only cosmetica damage and argued a case so the insurance decided to fix it but never removed the cat D write off from the record?

tbh i have no idea i'm just guessing.

He has all other proof original v5c the v5c after the accident/repair. reciept of purchase (from garage) proving he was owner prior to accident. previous mot certs.

when you say a new v5 is a must - do you mean you always get one when the car is written off or you only get one if the car is a repaired write off?

also again - why would an insurer write off a car as cat D (when it costs less to fix than its worth? what reasons would they have?)

Edited by Little Green

As far as i am aware, one of the risks you might face is if the CatD car is involved in a subsequent accident, an insurer may be unwilling to pay out for an already "written off" car... I think it's a grey area, so whilst the person you hit may be ok, your car loss may be uncovered.

Along with most of the other posters, I would be v careful with this.

yeah i'll phone a few insurers.

gonna do the hpi check as soon as i have all the details.

he's sending me photos of all the documents he has for the car, i saw them when i went to view.

how could he recover from the garage, just contact them?

Why are you dead set on taking what appears to be a massive risk on this car in particular?