Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alkaline

Plug-ins (VST, Audio Units etc)

71 posts in this topic

49 for sure. Not enough space for the 61 and no interest in the 25. I'll let you know how it is.

A year on and I've barely touched the surface in Komplete. The majority of my usage is the Vintage Compressor series and the Solid and Passive EQ. I've had a play around with Studio drummer which seems pretty flexible and usable and Massive, which is overwhelming in its sheer volume of synth sounds/options. Both are likely to become pretty big parts of my own music as it develops. I'll have a few more examples of my work on the production/mixing side soon when I've finished mixing the new Callahan EP.

Another section I'd really like to get to grips with is the Damage series. I've had a bit of a play around with them and you can make some pretty great sounding soundscapes with them but I've yet to use any of my dabbling in anything. Ditto Action Strings, which is great on the limited exposure I've had to it so far.

The thing I've been most blown away with is the depth to what's available and the sound quality is amazing. If anyone's looking for a pretty expansive production suite it's well worth the outlay.

A year on and I've barely touched the surface in Komplete. The majority of my usage is the Vintage Compressor series and the Solid and Passive EQ. I've had a play around with Studio drummer which seems pretty flexible and usable and Massive, which is overwhelming in its sheer volume of synth sounds/options. Both are likely to become pretty big parts of my own music as it develops. I'll have a few more examples of my work on the production/mixing side soon when I've finished mixing the new Callahan EP.

Another section I'd really like to get to grips with is the Damage series. I've had a bit of a play around with them and you can make some pretty great sounding soundscapes with them but I've yet to use any of my dabbling in anything. Ditto Action Strings, which is great on the limited exposure I've had to it so far.

The thing I've been most blown away with is the depth to what's available and the sound quality is amazing. If anyone's looking for a pretty expansive production suite it's well worth the outlay.

Komplete is top class.. You are right though , it is so vast that i doubt anyone would use it to its full potential. The great thing is its always there if you invest in it just incase inspiration strikes!!

Komplete Kontrol is ace by the way. Totally flawless plug and play and allows you to go deep into the capabilities of Komplete. Can't recommend the product enough. Of course, if you venture out of the NI world I have no idea how it performs as a general midi controller. But, for maschine + komplete it's the balls.

Komplete Kontrol is ace by the way. Totally flawless plug and play and allows you to go deep into the capabilities of Komplete. Can't recommend the product enough. Of course, if you venture out of the NI world I have no idea how it performs as a general midi controller. But, for maschine + komplete it's the balls.

You got any music that you've done so far that you'd be willing to share?

Nope. I'm terrible and not dedicated enough. I've actually recently been using komplete kontrol to learn to play more than actual music making to be honest. I can play a mean Bruce Hornsby - The way it is.

Normally though, my annoying routine goes like this:

- make 16 bar beat (which i'm pretty ok at)

- fanny around for the next 5 hours finding some semblance of a melody that doesn't suck entirely

- spend another couple of hours fannying about with effects and such, trying different instruments.

- get pissed off that i'm getting nowhere

- start again from scratch

When I first got maschine I made a few things I was fairly happy with, but I lost them when I upgraded somehow. It's frustrating because I really know my way around the software/hardware. I'm just not as musically talented as i'd like to be.

Anyone know of any decent auto tune plug ins? Free is good, but will happily pay if there's a demo I can try out.

I think the one most familiar on any recording I've done is "Antares" Auto-Tune. The window looks grey with blue bits on it (so helpful).

It has certainly served us well, anyway.

11 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I think the one most familiar on any recording I've done is "Antares" Auto-Tune. The window looks grey with blue bits on it (so helpful).

It has certainly served us well, anyway.

I know a good auto-tune isn't cheap. But $399 is a bit steep for me right now. When I said happily pay. I meant <$100. Which I know, is limiting what auto-tune plugins are available to me and actually decent. 

20 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Oocha fucker, soz - didn't have any clue as to what it cost! 

There's a discontinued software page. I'm downloading it and it hasn't asked me to pay yet. Hopefully they give away the old stuff that isn't supported. As any free autotune found through a google search is so shit, you might aswell just play with the detune in the clip view.

scratch that, read the fine print. gonna download a trial. 

Oh for fuck sake they need to authorise the trial. Bollocks to this.

Posted (edited)

Do you actually want to do a "proper" autotune or have an autotune effect on vox? 

For an autotune effect just use the vocoder on ableton, it's really good and pretty flexible.

If you're trying to make it sound like you can sing, go get singing lessons xx

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/harmonic-sound-design-lives-vocoder/

Edited by colb

17 minutes ago, colb said:

Do you actually want to do a "proper" autotune or have an autotune effect on vox? 

For an autotune effect just use the vocoder on ableton, it's really good and pretty flexible.

If you're trying to make it sound like you can sing, go get singing lessons xx

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/harmonic-sound-design-lives-vocoder/

It's more for doing the stuff thon rappers are up to nowadays. Making the vocals go really low. Using transpose doesn't seem to work but maybe i'm doing something wrong. I've got youtube open to do some research.

5 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

It's more for doing the stuff thon rappers are up to nowadays. Making the vocals go really low. Using transpose doesn't seem to work but maybe i'm doing something wrong. I've got youtube open to do some research.

Might be worth going really old school and use a whammy or pitch shifter? 

1 hour ago, colb said:

Might be worth going really old school and use a whammy or pitch shifter? 

turns out I was using the wrong setting in the clip view. I was using complex pro but complex seems to give the best results. Just use the transpose knob. I was wanting to turn a knob and have it sound like some tyler the creator parts but there's obviously a whole chain on it.

Anyone got any good free VST sites? bedroomproducersblog seems like a great site. Anyone know of any others?

Posted (edited)

Splice and MusicRadar will do regular lists with links. I don't really use any except Addictive Drums/Keys and the Focusrite Compressor, the ones that come with Ableton work fine for me.

Edited by colb