aberdeen-music

Plug-ins (VST, Audio Units etc)

Alkaline

3 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I would make sure that your recording method was correct before blaming the mics. If they came out a 'vocals' box especially! 

https://www.studiospares.com/Microphones/Mics-Studio-Vocal.htm - anything from there would be an upgrade on a SM58/57-type for recording. Large diaphragm condenser is yer boy.

Neat. I think I'll pick one up in the very near future, so we can do vocals on our own time next time, and do the louder stuff in the studio. Might not have been the mics, but no idea what it could be.

We recorded everything the same way, through the console, tried every mic we could find. The only thing we didn't swap was the cable. We also didn't try a different input on the console. Could have been a knackered cable, though I would have thought that would result in no sound at all, rather than tinny lofi sound.

4 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

By any chance did you use a ribbon cable and send phantom power to it? 'cause that's fucked now.

otherwise it's just making sure it's gained properly on the way in. between -10 and -20dB is a good start. Leaves you plenty of headroom for mixing without being so quiet the noise floor is raised. 

Image result for I DON'T UNDERSTAND GIF

We used the cable that was already attached to a mic behind a pop shield. I assume whoever set that up knew what they were doing.

Recording is stupid.