aberdeen-music

Plug-ins (VST, Audio Units etc)

Alkaline

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A year on and I've barely touched the surface in Komplete. The majority of my usage is the Vintage Compressor series and the Solid and Passive EQ. I've had a play around with Studio drummer which seems pretty flexible and usable and Massive, which is overwhelming in its sheer volume of synth sounds/options. Both are likely to become pretty big parts of my own music as it develops. I'll have a few more examples of my work on the production/mixing side soon when I've finished mixing the new Callahan EP.

Another section I'd really like to get to grips with is the Damage series. I've had a bit of a play around with them and you can make some pretty great sounding soundscapes with them but I've yet to use any of my dabbling in anything. Ditto Action Strings, which is great on the limited exposure I've had to it so far.

The thing I've been most blown away with is the depth to what's available and the sound quality is amazing. If anyone's looking for a pretty expansive production suite it's well worth the outlay.

A year on and I've barely touched the surface in Komplete. The majority of my usage is the Vintage Compressor series and the Solid and Passive EQ. I've had a play around with Studio drummer which seems pretty flexible and usable and Massive, which is overwhelming in its sheer volume of synth sounds/options. Both are likely to become pretty big parts of my own music as it develops. I'll have a few more examples of my work on the production/mixing side soon when I've finished mixing the new Callahan EP.

Another section I'd really like to get to grips with is the Damage series. I've had a bit of a play around with them and you can make some pretty great sounding soundscapes with them but I've yet to use any of my dabbling in anything. Ditto Action Strings, which is great on the limited exposure I've had to it so far.

The thing I've been most blown away with is the depth to what's available and the sound quality is amazing. If anyone's looking for a pretty expansive production suite it's well worth the outlay.

Komplete is top class.. You are right though , it is so vast that i doubt anyone would use it to its full potential. The great thing is its always there if you invest in it just incase inspiration strikes!!

Komplete Kontrol is ace by the way. Totally flawless plug and play and allows you to go deep into the capabilities of Komplete. Can't recommend the product enough. Of course, if you venture out of the NI world I have no idea how it performs as a general midi controller. But, for maschine + komplete it's the balls.

• 3 weeks later...

Komplete Kontrol is ace by the way. Totally flawless plug and play and allows you to go deep into the capabilities of Komplete. Can't recommend the product enough. Of course, if you venture out of the NI world I have no idea how it performs as a general midi controller. But, for maschine + komplete it's the balls.

You got any music that you've done so far that you'd be willing to share?

Nope. I'm terrible and not dedicated enough. I've actually recently been using komplete kontrol to learn to play more than actual music making to be honest. I can play a mean Bruce Hornsby - The way it is.

Normally though, my annoying routine goes like this:

- make 16 bar beat (which i'm pretty ok at)

- fanny around for the next 5 hours finding some semblance of a melody that doesn't suck entirely

- spend another couple of hours fannying about with effects and such, trying different instruments.

- get pissed off that i'm getting nowhere

- start again from scratch

When I first got maschine I made a few things I was fairly happy with, but I lost them when I upgraded somehow. It's frustrating because I really know my way around the software/hardware. I'm just not as musically talented as i'd like to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I think the one most familiar on any recording I've done is "Antares" Auto-Tune. The window looks grey with blue bits on it (so helpful).

It has certainly served us well, anyway.

I know a good auto-tune isn't cheap. But $399 is a bit steep for me right now. When I said happily pay. I meant <$100. Which I know, is limiting what auto-tune plugins are available to me and actually decent. 

20 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Oocha fucker, soz - didn't have any clue as to what it cost! 

There's a discontinued software page. I'm downloading it and it hasn't asked me to pay yet. Hopefully they give away the old stuff that isn't supported. As any free autotune found through a google search is so shit, you might aswell just play with the detune in the clip view.

Do you actually want to do a "proper" autotune or have an autotune effect on vox? 

For an autotune effect just use the vocoder on ableton, it's really good and pretty flexible.

If you're trying to make it sound like you can sing, go get singing lessons xx

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/harmonic-sound-design-lives-vocoder/

Edited by colb

17 minutes ago, colb said:

Do you actually want to do a "proper" autotune or have an autotune effect on vox? 

For an autotune effect just use the vocoder on ableton, it's really good and pretty flexible.

If you're trying to make it sound like you can sing, go get singing lessons xx

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/harmonic-sound-design-lives-vocoder/

It's more for doing the stuff thon rappers are up to nowadays. Making the vocals go really low. Using transpose doesn't seem to work but maybe i'm doing something wrong. I've got youtube open to do some research.

5 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

It's more for doing the stuff thon rappers are up to nowadays. Making the vocals go really low. Using transpose doesn't seem to work but maybe i'm doing something wrong. I've got youtube open to do some research.

Might be worth going really old school and use a whammy or pitch shifter? 

1 hour ago, colb said:

Might be worth going really old school and use a whammy or pitch shifter? 

turns out I was using the wrong setting in the clip view. I was using complex pro but complex seems to give the best results. Just use the transpose knob. I was wanting to turn a knob and have it sound like some tyler the creator parts but there's obviously a whole chain on it.

Anyone got any good free VST sites? bedroomproducersblog seems like a great site. Anyone know of any others?

• 1 month later...

Anybody got any tips on recording vocals? From the mic, down to any FX, EQ, compression etc used?

My band recorded a demo yesterday. It was very rushed so we didn't have too much time to experiment. I don't know jack about microphones, but no matter which one we used, we couldn't get the vocals to not sound like they'd been recorded over the phone. I think we're going to have to make do, and just throw a heap of Beastie Boys-esque distortion over them, which is what I tend to do anyway. But some tips would be good for future recordings.

5 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Anybody got any tips on recording vocals? From the mic, down to any FX, EQ, compression etc used?

My band recorded a demo yesterday. It was very rushed so we didn't have too much time to experiment. I don't know jack about microphones, but no matter which one we used, we couldn't get the vocals to not sound like they'd been recorded over the phone. I think we're going to have to make do, and just throw a heap of Beastie Boys-esque distortion over them, which is what I tend to do anyway. But some tips would be good for future recordings.

Here's my "one night class and 3 weeks in to my HND" advice:

What mic are you using? Perhaps the frequency response isn't great. Maybe set up a pop shield too.
Make sure it's gained properly on the way in. If it's too low you'll get the hiss and shit when you turn it up post recording. If it's too high you get distortion etc.
EQ and compression probably best on the channel, I'd put any FX on a send/return channel. But before any EQ and that, make sure your dry signal is decent. If you've got a cheap mic, you'll not get great results. I assume you're using a pre-amp/interface? They should have gain knobs on them to get the right level on the way in. Leave yourself some headroom.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea of the specific mic. We tried a few. We recorded it at work (a college) in the music tech rooms, so it all went through the enormous console. We had only a vague idea of what we were doing. We took mics out of the case labelled "vocals" and they were all set up behind a pop shield. The result every time was low fidelity tinny recordings, whereas mics infront of the guitar and bass amps sounded great.

In hindsight we should have just yelled in to the guitar amp mics as we knew they worked and time was a factor. We thrashed it all out in less than an hour and a half so no time to think.

We could do them again but we can't get booked in to the room again til November. Unless we try ourselves through some sort of interface.

Whats a good, affordable mic for vocal recording? If we can get something reasonable, we could try to redo them in GarageBand or something.

On 9/12/2017 at 10:48 PM, Soda Jerk said:

I have no idea of the specific mic. We tried a few. We recorded it at work (a college) in the music tech rooms, so it all went through the enormous console. We had only a vague idea of what we were doing. We took mics out of the case labelled "vocals" and they were all set up behind a pop shield. The result every time was low fidelity tinny recordings, whereas mics infront of the guitar and bass amps sounded great.

In hindsight we should have just yelled in to the guitar amp mics as we knew they worked and time was a factor. We thrashed it all out in less than an hour and a half so no time to think.

We could do them again but we can't get booked in to the room again til November. Unless we try ourselves through some sort of interface.

Whats a good, affordable mic for vocal recording? If we can get something reasonable, we could try to redo them in GarageBand or something.

I would make sure that your recording method was correct before blaming the mics. If they came out a 'vocals' box especially! 

https://www.studiospares.com/Microphones/Mics-Studio-Vocal.htm - anything from there would be an upgrade on a SM58/57-type for recording. Large diaphragm condenser is yer boy.

• Upvote 1