aberdeen-music

Plug-ins (VST, Audio Units etc)

Alkaline

• 3 weeks later...

Also, I updated to version 2.0 this past wknd and had an utter nightmare trying to get everything imported from v1.0. It's not an upgrade, it's a total re-write. It's gonna take a while to get used to.

Murr, thinking about it, if you got a maschine with v2.0 software, you may not want to bother with the dubspot tutorials. I'm sure they will come out with 2.0 ones at some point but it's all fairly new just now.

Also, I updated to version 2.0 this past wknd and had an utter nightmare trying to get everything imported from v1.0. It's not an upgrade, it's a total re-write. It's gonna take a while to get used to.

Murr, thinking about it, if you got a maschine with v2.0 software, you may not want to bother with the dubspot tutorials. I'm sure they will come out with 2.0 ones at some point but it's all fairly new just now.

Yes, mine's 2.0. Barely had it out of the box at the moment as I'm stuck at the parents' for the next couple of days. Definitely going to get stuck into it this weekend though.

Yes, mine's 2.0. Barely had it out of the box at the moment as I'm stuck at the parents' for the next couple of days. Definitely going to get stuck into it this weekend though.

How you been getting on?

It took me 3 days of making fuck all music just to get my library and plug ins, etc imported to the new software. I've fucked up somewhere and my audio settings aren't quite right still. I know there's a wealth of goodness in 2.0 but I haven't been able to get to the meat of the thing yet.

Out of interest, what's your experience with DAWs previous to getting a maschine? I'd be interested to know how easy/difficult you find it getting into either as a beginner or someone who's used other software. I used Cubase in the past and found it quite a steap learning curve. Ultimately very worth it but I was banging my head against the thing for weeks.

How you been getting on?

It took me 3 days of making fuck all music just to get my library and plug ins, etc imported to the new software. I've fucked up somewhere and my audio settings aren't quite right still. I know there's a wealth of goodness in 2.0 but I haven't been able to get to the meat of the thing yet.

Out of interest, what's your experience with DAWs previous to getting a maschine? I'd be interested to know how easy/difficult you find it getting into either as a beginner or someone who's used other software. I used Cubase in the past and found it quite a steap learning curve. Ultimately very worth it but I was banging my head against the thing for weeks.

I'm not sold on 2.0, I'm not sure I'll bother with it at the moment.

I prefer using Maschine as a standalone to create a track at the moment but I'd ultimately like to create different sections using it as a Plug-in in Logic as I'll have more control over the audio components overall with it. With DAWs I started out with Garageband very briefly as it was out of the box easy but my father in law gave me Logic Pro 9 Studio and I just jumped straight in and took the bull by the horns and I very much like the way I've learned it hands on and I took teh same principle to tackling Maschine/Massive.

Do you prefer creating beats organically or using step sequencers to ensure bang on rhythms? I'm torn between the two really :/ 

I'm not sold on 2.0, I'm not sure I'll bother with it at the moment.

I prefer using Maschine as a standalone to create a track at the moment but I'd ultimately like to create different sections using it as a Plug-in in Logic as I'll have more control over the audio components overall with it. With DAWs I started out with Garageband very briefly as it was out of the box easy but my father in law gave me Logic Pro 9 Studio and I just jumped straight in and took the bull by the horns and I very much like the way I've learned it hands on and I took teh same principle to tackling Maschine/Massive.

Do you prefer creating beats organically or using step sequencers to ensure bang on rhythms? I'm torn between the two really :/ 

That's what I'm leaning towards - probably using it as a plug in for Ableton. Not really there yet though in the sense that I'm not fully getting the most out of Maschine to justify using it within something else. So for now, I'm happy just creating things entirely in Maschine. Building up full tracks using all the components you create isn't a strong point in maschine (although 2.0 makes it much nicer) and I know the likes of Ableton and Logic are the logical next step but for now I'm keeping it simple.

I flit back and forth between sequencer and finger drumming. No preference really, all depends on what sound im trying to achieve.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just purchased some UAD powered plugins and they are absolutely amazing.  I have no idea how much it would cost to buy the actual hardware they are trying to emulate but it would be extremely unattainable. So far I have only used them on a couple of projects but based on those sessions the quality is clear.  If you are taking production seriously and want to go up a notch this is definitely a good way to get there.  You have to have either the UA Satellite or one of the Apollo series interfaces (also excellent).  The new Desktop Apollo Twin looks very interesting!

• 2 months later...

I saw that 50% off promotion and it hurt a little considering I paid full price. There must be another komplete on the way.

So far I've loved it. Only after about 6 months of owning it am I at the stage where I know what you can get out of the instruments and going beyond the presets. Theres a whole heap of stuff in there. Its obviously very synth heavy and I find the organic instrument stuff a little lacking although you can get some interesting sounds out of them by playing with effects/filters etc. I still dont think anyone has really cracked the guitar vst to the point you cant tell the difference. Or maybe im just not good enough.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Fuck it I'm getting the komplete kontrol. It serves the exact purpose I need it for - getting the most out of komplete. Have read nothing but good reviews too. Anyone else got it/thinking about it?

I did think about it for a while, and it looks great, but I have an m-audio axiom for keyboard needs in massive etc and a maschine for programming drum. Not sure it could offer me much more than I already have and it's quite pricey.

It's the auto-mapping that really does it for me. I just can't be assed configuring every single instrument and every single patch to the controller. The time saved is worth the price for me. Even when a controller does recognize some of the mappings it's never spot on. That and the fact you can use it pretty much entirely for navigation purposes too. The light guide stuff is pretty nifty too, being able to see chords and scales and whatnot will make me learn more musically I think.

It's the auto-mapping that really does it for me. I just can't be assed configuring every single instrument and every single patch to the controller. The time saved is worth the price for me. Even when a controller does recognize some of the mappings it's never spot on. That and the fact you can use it pretty much entirely for navigation purposes too. The light guide stuff is pretty nifty too, being able to see chords and scales and whatnot will make me learn more musically I think.

Yeah, if that sort of thing would be a benefit for you its a good all-in-one package. What size are you going for?